Size of overflow box

dradttg

i've seen tanks which didn't even bother having a overflow box. just the pipe jutting out of the bottom up to water level on top. not very pleasant looking though.

That is how my overflow looks, I think it looks better than a toilet bowl (go find out how DURSO was conceptualise and you know what I mean :D )

The height and width of the area which the water falls through the overflow also facilitates gaseous exchange and acts as an algae scrubber.

Ergo, do not trivialise every component just yet, think through it and you'll see most, if not, all of your tank design will affect your system and its end results.

• SRC Member

I tried the overflow size calculator and was given the result that my pipe has to have diameter 1.43 inch and the linear overflow size should be 18 inches.

I have made the assumption that for a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank water flow should be about 1200 gph.

I dont think 18 inches is correct, that will take up a lot of space in my tank.

Anyone has such a large overflow box for a 4 ft tank?

Thank you.

Take a cue from MarineBetta & Phang's tank, they have an overflow the width of their tank.

Nonetheless, they are just basic guidelines; there are other factors to consider, for example, aeration function of skimmer, overflow of your return pump chamber, et cetera.

That is how my overflow looks, I think it looks better than a toilet bowl (go find out how DURSO was conceptualise and you know what I mean :D )

The height and width of the area which the water falls through the overflow also facilitates gaseous exchange and acts as an algae scrubber.

Ergo, do not trivialise every component just yet, think through it and you'll see most, if not, all of your tank design will affect your system and its end results.

hey Rumor...

any shots of your tank to let me see what you're talking about? :P