nano tank

rock_boy

Pls help.... i want to get a nano tank but dont know how to connect using a skimmer....PLS HELP

Is price a concern to you? If you are able to shell out around $800 for a nano tank, I recommend the JBJ HQI 28 gallon (100L). It comes with a protein skimmer (with compartment specially for it), MH light 150W, a wave maker controller, 2 very powerful pump, blue night LED lights.

Almost all-in-one, except for the chiller. And if you want to add chiller, look at my thread on how to connect it to a chiller and still retaining the wave maker function.

• SRC Member
Is price a concern to you? If you are able to shell out around $800 for a nano tank, I recommend the JBJ HQI 28 gallon (100L). It comes with a protein skimmer (with compartment specially for it), MH light 150W, a wave maker controller, 2 very powerful pump, blue night LED lights.

Almost all-in-one, except for the chiller. And if you want to add chiller, look at my thread on how to connect it to a chiller and still retaining the wave maker function.

i saw the system...in fact not many LFS carried ..am i right bro? By the way, how much it selling? seems not bad with MH inside...& night LED inside... :D

i saw the system...in fact not many LFS carried ..am i right bro? By the way, how much it selling? seems not bad with MH inside...& night LED inside... :D

Recommended retail price is S$800 loh, I managed to convince the LFS boss to give me a $50 discount, meaning I paid $750. Also the boss throws in sand 1 bag, NSW 28g, coral chips 1 bag ... all live stuff, which speeds up my cycling process. I lagi kaisu, add bact starter solution daily somemore.

Was going really well, tank able to take high bio load as i put in a huge piece of market prawn. but i made a wrong choice of coral, a purple sponge which killed 50% of my live stocks. almost crashed, but lucky got QT, so transfered LS to QT for few days while i get the main tank's water parameters all back in shape again.

Recommended retail price is S$800 loh, I managed to convince the LFS boss to give me a $50 discount, meaning I paid $750. Also the boss throws in sand 1 bag, NSW 28g, coral chips 1 bag ... all live stuff, which speeds up my cycling process. I lagi kaisu, add bact starter solution daily somemore.

Was going really well, tank able to take high bio load as i put in a huge piece of market prawn. but i made a wrong choice of coral, a purple sponge which killed 50% of my live stocks. almost crashed, but lucky got QT, so transfered LS to QT for few days while i get the main tank's water parameters all back in shape again.

Dear Bro,

where did u buy the nano tank from..... pls advice. Tks

Hi rock boy,

Please do note that nano reef tank does not mean easier maintanence.

As the water volume is lesser, the setup is more sensitive to elements.

Happy reefing.

:)

Bro,

I am aware, but bopian... my new house is just 2 small... iam looking for something small & compact.

• SRC Supporter

Petmart at Serangoon should have stock

My little ocean
Mix Reef-Main tank 30 inches Length x 32 inches Width x 18 inches Height
2 X Skim DC return pump
Aquabee 2000 chiller feeder

Hailea 1/2 Chiller
1 X Tunze nano wavebox

2 X EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10W
Deltec skimmer - Internal
Lumenarc 400watt 12K Reeflux

8 X T5 ATI Powermodule
Prolifux control with external touchscreen display
Refugium keeping chaeto

• SRC Member

sorry for frankness...if this price....i would top up few hundred dollars for an RSM tank... am i correct? :P

sorry for frankness...if this price....i would top up few hundred dollars for an RSM tank... am i correct? :P

Yeap, I was choosing between RSM and this JBJ HQI. The following are my analysis:

Both almost same amount of water volume, maybe RSM slightly larger.

RSM comes with PL lighting only, and if want to upgrade to MH, very difficult to modify. Plus, the MH supplied with JBJ HQI would have added at least $200 more to the RSM based price tag, if I were to upgrade the RSM from PL to MH (not forgetting cooling fans for the MH, which is already built in and supplied with JBJ). As witness from my other thread, I initially wanted to keep clam ... got 3 of them, and PL just would not cut it.

JBJ HQI got extra things that RSM do not have: Blue night lights (built-in), Pulsating Wave maker controller to enable the 2 ACCELA pumps to alternate between each other to create wave effects (no need to add additional wave maker in display area)

But RSM have a better powerhead driven skimmer, as compared to JBJ's air driven. Initially wanted to swop out the air driven skimmer to a Tunze DOC 9002 nano, but as I used the stock skimmer, found the performance to be excellent ... so dropped the idea of buying the Tunze skimmer.

So there u have it, if you look at it carefully, still quite value for money, when compared to RSM.

Just that the JBJ HQI base price do not come with cabinet stand. Got to pay $100 extra for that. RSM comes with the cabinet stand.

Also, RSM have the advantage of easier to connect chiller (in/out pipe already provided) ... but I managed to solve this problem after some experimenting ... my experiences which I shared with other bros in another thread on how to connect a chiller to a JBJ HQI (I thought it was HQ1 when I just bought it, ha ha, then later as I read more ... I realized that Americans use the generic term HQI to refer to MH light equipment).

• SRC Member
Yeap, I was choosing between RSM and this JBJ HQI. The following are my analysis:

Both almost same amount of water volume, maybe RSM slightly larger.

RSM comes with PL lighting only, and if want to upgrade to MH, very difficult to modify. Plus, the MH supplied with JBJ HQI would have added at least $200 more to the RSM based price tag, if I were to upgrade the RSM from PL to MH (not forgetting cooling fans for the MH, which is already built in and supplied with JBJ). As witness from my other thread, I initially wanted to keep clam ... got 3 of them, and PL just would not cut it.

JBJ HQI got extra things that RSM do not have: Blue night lights (built-in), Pulsating Wave maker controller to enable the 2 ACCELA pumps to alternate between each other to create wave effects (no need to add additional wave maker in display area)

But RSM have a better powerhead driven skimmer, as compared to JBJ's air driven. Initially wanted to swop out the air driven skimmer to a Tunze DOC 9002 nano, but as I used the stock skimmer, found the performance to be excellent ... so dropped the idea of buying the Tunze skimmer.

So there u have it, if you look at it carefully, still quite value for money, when compared to RSM.

Just that the JBJ HQI base price do not come with cabinet stand. Got to pay $100 extra for that. RSM comes with the cabinet stand.

Also, RSM have the advantage of easier to connect chiller (in/out pipe already provided) ... but I managed to solve this problem after some experimenting ... my experiences which I shared with other bros in another thread on how to connect a chiller to a JBJ HQI (I thought it was HQ1 when I just bought it, ha ha, then later as I read more ... I realized that Americans use the generic term HQI to refer to MH light equipment).

hahha! bro well said! but from my understanding is that some RSM tank do have night leds? Am i correct?

And just another questions, your second compartments...it can fit a Tunze skimmer? what the dimensions?

anyway, i do see that most reefers does not goes for this set..maybe the publicity is not that much comparing to RSM?

Regs,

Wil :D

hahha! bro well said! but from my understanding is that some RSM tank do have night leds? Am i correct?

RSM do come with night LED.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

And just another questions, your second compartments...it can fit a Tunze skimmer? what the dimensions?

anyway, i do see that most reefers does not goes for this set..maybe the publicity is not that much comparing to RSM?

Regs,

Wil :D

Yeap bro, already did my research ... read on Reef Central (the USA site), and saw the pictures of how another reefer fit a Tunze DOC 9002 into the JBJ HQI 28g.

Basically have to remove the filter media basket in the middle (the place where the overflow flows out into), then slot the DOC 9002 skimmer right in there, perfect fit. Only thing that does not fit is the skimmer collection cup, round shape ... so have to disconnect the hood (cover, with lights) from the hinge, making the hood protude .75 inches from the front and not having perfect salt-water splashing seal.

Which is one of the reason why I did not go for the DOC 9002 skimmer, since I am slowly changing my tank from a coral tank into a FOWLR (predatory), and I have a couple of HUGE fishes inside (1/3 width of the tank) ... and when they splashes the saltwater, man .... everything gets wet.

Got Grouper (yes yes yes, Grouper fish), 2 wild caught big fishes, Snow Flake eel, Squid (Sotong!) ... they feed on live prawn (those use for fishing), and those prawns splashes too, when cornered.

VERY high Bio Load for a small tank, but the way I structured the design of the Bio filteration system, managed to keep everything alive and happy. Water parameters rather good too.

• SRC Member

thats really eye opening dude! ur fish really LOOK big on this tank! :D

Anyway, nice findings and explaination of the setup of the skimmer! :D

appreciate thatz! dude!

pretty darn cool.. :D

post more pics! especially of ur squid eating!!

Just for you:

Pic #1: Sotong with half-eaten prawn

Pic #2: Sotong at Rest

I didn't know that there are many predatory tank lovers out here in Singapore. It's really a USA kind of thing (they even have a whole section talking about predatory tank/fishes at Reef Central).

post-14187-1207552327.jpg

post-14187-1207552341.jpg

More pictures:

#1: Group photo, very rare ... finally everyone come out for a group photo session.

#2: Close-up of Grouper Fish.

#3: Snow Flake Eel ... shy guy, only poke out a bit of his head to KayPoh on others' business.

Anyone knows which LFS selling small sharks? I believe some sharks are not on CITIES list right? I saw one medium sized one at a Pasir Ris LFS, but that shark got one eye missing ... also too big to fit into my Nano tank.

That will be a 1st in Singapore, keeping a shark in a Nano tank. Ha ha ha.

post-14187-1207552678.jpg

post-14187-1207552694.jpg

post-14187-1207552703.jpg

More sotong adventure:

Pic #1: Sotong kena threaten by big fish, sotong shoots tons of black ink.

Pic #2: Lots of black ink stuck on corals surrounding sotong.

Pic #3: Skimmer hard at work, skims out Sotong's black ink from the water.

(excellent, really loved the performance of this skimmer ... considering that it is only air driven!)

post-14187-1207645024.jpg

post-14187-1207645039.jpg

post-14187-1207645056.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
More pictures:

#1: Group photo, very rare ... finally everyone come out for a group photo session.

#2: Close-up of Grouper Fish.

#3: Snow Flake Eel ... shy guy, only poke out a bit of his head to KayPoh on others' business.

Anyone knows which LFS selling small sharks? I believe some sharks are not on CITIES list right? I saw one medium sized one at a Pasir Ris LFS, but that shark got one eye missing ... also too big to fit into my Nano tank.

That will be a 1st in Singapore, keeping a shark in a Nano tank. Ha ha ha.

shark in a nano tank?!

i dont think it'll ever survive for long man.. haha...

anyway i used to see a few at CoralFarm,

now they're not there anymore..

but those sharks i saw are quite large in size...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft: