Tall Reef Tank

Hi All,

I am considering to set up a tall reef tank.

Current space available is - 520mm wide and 420mm depth, thats why i can only have a tall reef tank.

I would like to gather more info on how tall i can go before deciding if its worth to set up. (it will be beside my Bed)

Current equipment i have is 150MH - 2 x 24w

Considering to get a 2nd hand 1/4 chiller

This would be a custom made tank. Feel free to give any coment and suggestion.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Softice

• SRC Member

420mm still alright but i don't think it would be a good idea to go beyond 600mm. Deeper tanks means less light penetration and the 150W MH may not be sufficient anymore depending on the types of corals you are going to keep.

• SRC Member

" beside my Bed " => not really a good idea when equipment start piling up especially the unsighty, smelly skimmer output.

Also, deeper tank require high power lighting ==> heat generated either from light or chiller... Seriously, a bad location.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

high aquarium means higher pressure, means thicker glass needed.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

if you have space for a deep tank, and worried about the noise/heat/ etc etc, why not just go for a seahorse tank - they actually benefit more from a deep tank as seahorses like to swim up and down, and if with a properly established tank, quite easy to manage. ;)

• SRC Member
if you have space for a deep tank, and worried about the noise/heat/ etc etc, why not just go for a seahorse tank - they actually benefit more from a deep tank as seahorses like to swim up and down, and if with a properly established tank, quite easy to manage. ;)

my biggest mistake in marine was my 1st tank many yrs ago a 3 x 1.8 x 3(ht) ft tank, u can never reach the rocks at the bottom and because of that the rocks are never very stable, every few days u would see earthquake when u wake up, all the nicely arrange rocksape just come tumbling down, and back then the flow was sucky, noise from the overflow and heat from the chiller, terrible, anyway its bad fengshui to put tank in ur room esp on the right side of ur room dr, will have frequent quarels with ur wife or gf (tested and proven) maybe she jealous to see me carressing the rocks all the time , please look into other areas of ur house

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

Wah, Thanks to so many brother respond comment and suggestion.

If thats the case i think i should straight go ahead and plan my 5Ft tank instead (locate at the entrance of my door)

Still need lots suggestion and comment along the way as i gather more info to the actual build up

can kindly follow up in the thread attached below??

Cc. Moderator can close this thread. Thanks

My 5FT KIV Thread