Building a refugium for a nano cube

crash

• SRC Member

hi all,

i was tinkin of creating an external refugium for my 35L nano cube... any expert can give me some pointers?

heard of ppl using 2 pumps for such purposes... but it doesnt seem feasible as one of the pumps may break down... resulting in flood... any advices??

thks..

• SRC Member
hi all,

i was tinkin of creating an external refugium for my 35L nano cube... any expert can give me some pointers?

heard of ppl using 2 pumps for such purposes... but it doesnt seem feasible as one of the pumps may break down... resulting in flood... any advices??

thks..

never use 2 pumps for such purpose. even for the same brand, same model pump, they are still going to produce slight different output and not considering the head lost. using a ball to control it is a also a no no. u will sooner or later experience a flood.

using gravity feed instead. just one pump is needed. a refugium below ur tank or above it will do.

happy reefing

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
never use 2 pumps for such purpose. even for the same brand, same model pump, they are still going to produce slight different output and not considering the head lost. using a ball to control it is a also a no no. u will sooner or later experience a flood.

using gravity feed instead. just one pump is needed. a refugium below ur tank or above it will do.

happy reefing

hi, does using gravity feed mean that you'll have to drill holes in the tank? i think in his nano tank, it might not be feasible. maybe a hang on fuge?

i used to use a ball valve to control a siphon down into my sump tank and return pump up into my nano tank but it flooded a few times. i definitely agree with what LaW said... 2 pumps won't work too because difference in water pressure will result in different flow rate... for example if the refuge is below the main tank, a siphon will occur and the pump draining down into the refuge will be faster

hi all,

thks..

You may like to check out this site - http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

The sumps that he has may be too big for you nano but for some background reading.

• SRC Member

hi all... thks for the input...

first of all i tink i cant use a hang on fuge without throwing the hood rite?

secondly, i saw those few links posted by u guys... the idea was great... but i hav no idea how to modify them to be suitable for my nano cube... the main thing is the overflow system.. i dun tink i hav much space to accomodate that rite?

i was also tinking of jus growing some chaeto in the sump tank as a form of nitrate export... but im not sure if its feasible... the amt of chaeto i can house in that compartment could be too little.. moreover, its difficult to provide light into those compartment...

any more advice from u guys? thanks alot anyway..