Hi guys. Need help setting up new tank (75g)

Hi guys. First time poster and general marine newbie here, so please be patient with my many questions haha. I was actually introduced to marine tanks 6 yrs ago during my NSF days by my section IC, who told me, amongst other things, that

1. Undergravel filters work so great, I never have to clean my filters or do water changes

2. Bioballs work great in a marine tank

So you can imagine how the tank eventually turned out. I converted the tank to FW later, but now I want to give marine a go again, so here I am.

I'm planning to do a Fish only tank, with only around 10 small fishes and a cleanup crew. My tank is around 70g, including a overflow compartment that adds the total volume to about 75-80g

1. Should I go for DSB? In my experience with the undergravel filter, I notice that when the sand bed is very thick, black spots occur very frequently. So I'm planning to just go BB, with a very thin layer of sand (<0.5cm) to just give it a more natural appearance. WIll be easier to clean the waste as well. What do you guys think?

2. Live rock. I stay in katong area, where there are 2 marine shops, so no problem in getting a supply. Is there any treatment needed before adding the rocks? Also, how many kg should i get, since they are probably going to be the main source of bio-filtration?

3. Skimmer. What would be a good brand? Price not an issue, since from reading around they are an important part of keeping the tank healthy. Same applies for UV. Would appreciate a good recommandation.

4. Filtration. Currently using a canister that sucks water from overflow and expels into main tank. Before that, the water flows over cotton pads and across coral chips. From reading, it seems that too much filter media will actually trap waste and become a nitrate producer. So should I remove the media from the canister, and just use it as a mini sump, and wash the cotton pads daily?

5. I should get enough powerheads to make sure all parts of my tank got current. right?

6. For tap water here, must we do RO/DI, or just anti-chloramine is enough?

7. Lastly for now, how long should I wait after mixing the salt water to add live rock, which will then kick start the nitrate cycle?

Thanks for any help bros

Hi guys. First time poster and general marine newbie here, so please be patient with my many questions haha. I was actually introduced to marine tanks 6 yrs ago during my NSF days by my section IC, who told me, amongst other things, that

1. Undergravel filters work so great, I never have to clean my filters or do water changes

2. Bioballs work great in a marine tank

So you can imagine how the tank eventually turned out. I converted the tank to FW later, but now I want to give marine a go again, so here I am.

I'm planning to do a Fish only tank, with only around 10 small fishes and a cleanup crew. My tank is around 70g, including a overflow compartment that adds the total volume to about 75-80g

1. Should I go for DSB? In my experience with the undergravel filter, I notice that when the sand bed is very thick, black spots occur very frequently. So I'm planning to just go BB, with a very thin layer of sand (<0.5cm) to just give it a more natural appearance. WIll be easier to clean the waste as well. What do you guys think?

2. Live rock. I stay in katong area, where there are 2 marine shops, so no problem in getting a supply. Is there any treatment needed before adding the rocks? Also, how many kg should i get, since they are probably going to be the main source of bio-filtration?

For fish only ,it is not a very critical items .But do not overpack.Create enough hiding space for all the fishes but also give a lot of swimming space

3. Skimmer. What would be a good brand? Price not an issue, since from reading around they are an important part of keeping the tank healthy. Same applies for UV. Would appreciate a good recommandation.

Spend what you can afford.

4. Filtration. Currently using a canister that sucks water from overflow and expels into main tank. Before that, the water flows over cotton pads and across coral chips. From reading, it seems that too much filter media will actually trap waste and become a nitrate producer. So should I remove the media from the canister, and just use it as a mini sump, and wash the cotton pads daily?

You need mechanical,chemical and bilogical filtration

5. I should get enough powerheads to make sure all parts of my tank got current. right?

Fish only tank might not require wavemaker.

Your return should be enough to move the water surface.

If you want a small wavemaker should be enough

6. For tap water here, must we do RO/DI, or just anti-chloramine is enough?

For fish only tank you can use tap water but stand it overnite at least before using

7. Lastly for now, how long should I wait after mixing the salt water to add live rock, which will then kick start the nitrate cycle?

Wait for the amonia to go zero,follow by the nitrite and then nitrate .About one month

Thanks for any help bros

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016