Is green algae Good

rcheng

Hi,

Need some advises.

I have coraline for sometime, about 1 year already.

Lately, there are green algae appearing on rocks as detailed in picture.

Are they ok, good?

Temperature in tank is 29 Deg C, no chiller.

Regards

Hope the attachments are ok.

post-8036-1210647216.jpg

post-8036-1210647228.jpg

many consider green algaes as a pest algae...the forming of green algaes shows that either nitrate or Phosphate level r relatively high in yr tank..i suggest that u do a water change(try not to use tap water...they contain nitrate n Phosphate as well)to reduce both the nitrate n Phosphate levels.there r also products that remove them as well..but i suggest that u find out the cause of the spike..common reason include overfeeding,lack of efficant skimming..

many consider green algaes as a pest algae...the forming of green algaes shows that either nitrate or Phosphate level r relatively high in yr tank..i suggest that u do a water change(try not to use tap water...they contain nitrate n Phosphate as well)to reduce both the nitrate n Phosphate levels.there r also products that remove them as well..but i suggest that u find out the cause of the spike..common reason include overfeeding,lack of efficant skimming..

Hi Gerard,

Thank you for the reply. After your reply, i search the website. From The Saltwater Aquarium Handbook it seems green algae is hard to come by and it happens to mature tank which has sufficient light. I had just changed lighting to something like metal Halide. Please see attached screen capture. I am a little uncertain.

Regards

:thanks:

saltware_aquarium.doc

• SRC Member
Is the algae easy to come off if you use ya nails to rub against?

Looks like green coraline though...

This type of green algae, me too have it in my tank.. Its been in my tank on the live rocks for quite sometime now. Dun harm the tank system or spread I.M.O. In fact, I see it as nice color contrast to purple coraline algae :pinch: So no need for any alarm :lol:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

This type of green algae, me too have it in my tank.. Its been in my tank on the live rocks for quite sometime now. Dun harm the tank system or spread I.M.O. In fact, I see it as nice color contrast to purple coraline algae :pinch: So no need for any alarm :lol:

Hi Bros,

Thank you for all the review and advise. I will continue to keep watch but it is slowly increasing. I plan to change water again some 2 days later. Last change was 20% and it was some 1 week ago. Feeding is 4 spoons (the small white plastic spoon used in the coffee shop) of Dr Basleer pellets and a tablet of sea weed each day. The pure white light introduce for 1 week is on for 4 hours a day. Skimmer is Deltec MCE600.

It is during this 1 week i notice the growth of green algae.

Once again a big thank you. Enjoy reefing. :thanks:

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Re to your heading green algae is no good at all but if employ some tangs they would feast on the green algae...

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D