starting my first tank

• SRC Member

i would say start with a 3 footer will be more stable... start a tank with the biggest size and best range of equipment u can afford... as upgrades is gonna cost u more in the long term... how much u spend is dependant on your choice of equipment...

i would say start with a 3 footer will be more stable... start a tank with the biggest size and best range of equipment u can afford... as upgrades is gonna cost u more in the long term... how much u spend is dependant on your choice of equipment...

:thanks: 4 your advise

But i only allow to spend around 500-1000 for every thing what is your advise and recomendation?

• SRC Member

But i only allow to spend around 500-1000 for every thing what is your advise and recomendation?

Try looking for 2nd hand equipment in the Pasar Malam section. A lot of people selling good stuff at low prices. If you have tight budget, this will be a good place to start.

Hi Bro,

Welcome on board. 2 ways to see things. Agrees that it is good if you have the budget to spend on high end equipment initially rather than upgrade in future. However, the other side is, if the interest is short - span, money always wasted. Lol.

Since you have a budget, do lookout for second-hand setup. Think there are a number of sellers trying to sell off 2ft tank with setup. Please note the thickness and dimension of the tank. The thicker, the better...lol....dimension will depend on your space - 2ft by 2ft by 2ft is good. Other than that, it might have space constraint and lack of depth. Also look out for canister or sump filter setup(sump filter better). Then look for lighting, skimmer, chiller(if you intend to keep corals), test kit - parameters such as pH, NO, PO, SG, etc. Big tank is more stable as compared to small tank but if you are hardworking, no problem. hehe.

The other option is go for nano tank setup. All in one small tank, except for the chiller. One popular tank is the Red Sea Max but there are always positive vs negative feedback.

In a nutshell, you have to decide the following:

Keep Fish only or Mixed

Tank Size

Decoration - Rock and sand or just rock(types also)

Filter System - sump, canister, bio, etc

Skimmer - Type

Lighting

Test Kit

Chiller?

Power Points

Cabinet

FR - PO or Carbon, UV, Ozoniser - Good to have

Accessories..

Food

Shopping for fishes and coral....

err...based on my experience....may have omitted some.....just went through....lol....sometime it is good to find someone to talk rather than reading ...just cant seem to get into brain or understand them...wahahaha....where do you stay....maybe can help you and invite to go fish farm shopping....lol...then u will understand more....hehe

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Hi Bro,

Welcome on board. 2 ways to see things. Agrees that it is good if you have the budget to spend on high end equipment initially rather than upgrade in future. However, the other side is, if the interest is short - span, money always wasted. Lol.

Since you have a budget, do lookout for second-hand setup. Think there are a number of sellers trying to sell off 2ft tank with setup. Please note the thickness and dimension of the tank. The thicker, the better...lol....dimension will depend on your space - 2ft by 2ft by 2ft is good. Other than that, it might have space constraint and lack of depth. Also look out for canister or sump filter setup(sump filter better). Then look for lighting, skimmer, chiller(if you intend to keep corals), test kit - parameters such as pH, NO, PO, SG, etc. Big tank is more stable as compared to small tank but if you are hardworking, no problem. hehe.

The other option is go for nano tank setup. All in one small tank, except for the chiller. One popular tank is the Red Sea Max but there are always positive vs negative feedback.

In a nutshell, you have to decide the following:

Keep Fish only or Mixed

Tank Size

Decoration - Rock and sand or just rock(types also)

Filter System - sump, canister, bio, etc

Skimmer - Type

Lighting

Test Kit

Chiller?

Power Points

Cabinet

FR - PO or Carbon, UV, Ozoniser - Good to have

Accessories..

Food

Shopping for fishes and coral....

err...based on my experience....may have omitted some.....just went through....lol....sometime it is good to find someone to talk rather than reading ...just cant seem to get into brain or understand them...wahahaha....where do you stay....maybe can help you and invite to go fish farm shopping....lol...then u will understand more....hehe

:thanks: u 4 teaching so many stuff and advise

i stay west side

U working tomorrow? Me on leave. Might go farm. U interested........err..but i might be going pasir ris side.....you can. Alternatively, you can go to Marine Life near clementi and chat with him....hehe...

:thanks: u 4 teaching so many stuff and advise

i stay west side

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

U new meh....lol...joined longer than me....lol....u stay at simei right....still searching for your tank huh.... For ML, the boss is henry. Opens around 2 pm but at times due to assignment, he might open slightly later. The address is 178 Hong Leong Garden SC, West Coast way. The number to call is 6777 4047. The boss is henry. The shop is a small setup but he does have the knowledge. However, so far i have not seen any tank for sale there. If you going by MRT, can visit clement 328(hope i get the blk right) and from there, you can walk to Jireh(got tank for sale there) and from there to ML.....for me...no car but got ka...just walk....hehehe.....All the best.

hi..solo77....i m new too.. can tell me the address for marine life at clemenri... :thanks:

Algae Scrubbler

Ops....open from 12 to 8pm but not everyday the same timing. Hence, call to check. : )

U new meh....lol...joined longer than me....lol....u stay at simei right....still searching for your tank huh.... For ML, the boss is henry. Opens around 2 pm but at times due to assignment, he might open slightly later. The address is 178 Hong Leong Garden SC, West Coast way. The number to call is 6777 4047. The boss is henry. The shop is a small setup but he does have the knowledge. However, so far i have not seen any tank for sale there. If you going by MRT, can visit clement 328(hope i get the blk right) and from there, you can walk to Jireh(got tank for sale there) and from there to ML.....for me...no car but got ka...just walk....hehehe.....All the best.

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

hi solo77. how u know i stay at simei... no doubt my member number is earlier.doesnt mean i long in tis hobby.. i still read on tis web site to gain knowledge from fellow reefer. but recrntly i just bought a second hand tank..just starter only ..hope u can help me and give advise .. :thanks:

Hi Tagie,

Sorry for the late reply. I dont have internet access at home, so cannot revert to you. I stay in sengkang. North East is also near East. Lol. I certainly hope i can help you but beware of my advice as i am a newbie. Hehe. Think it is good to meet up senior reefers to understand more from them. If you need help, can always pm me or arrange to meet at fish shops. However, as a married man....time is not within my control....wahahaha....Nevertheless, i will usually cycle to pasir ris farm on sunday or saturday morning, say around 8 am. Hehe....think ppl will think i am crazy....hehe. Anyway, i will pm you my number. Later, i might drop by reef depot at shunfu side(thomson area) or go Aquamarin side for dinner. Do inform me if you are interested. : )

solo77 u stay ard simei izit .. no harm asking ...cheers.

Algae Scrubbler

Hi Guys,

Saw your post here regard the clementi 328 LFS below is the address:

Harlequin Marine Pte Ltd (no sign bord a piece of plain green sign board only)

Blk 328 #01-196

Clementi Ave 2

Operationg Hour

Monday to Tuesday - 6 pm to 9 pm

Thursday to Saturday - 12 pm to 9 pm

Wednesday & Sunday - Closed

Currently they are timing a bit wired b'coz of the new farm coming up and they are busy setting up the farm. They have new fishes and coral came in yesterday check it out.

Cheers

hi all west reefer,

Where is the best LFS to do my setup ?

What is the different from nano tank to the other tank.

How much is the standard decent setup for a 3ft tank. (then slowly upgrade the system) cos i think OJT will be better than reading .

• SRC Member

im a west side reefer

-----NANO-----

Nano Tank Is smaller and easier to take care but heres the disadvantage

- If algae Attack It will look ugly in a faster time

-faster nitrite hike when fish die,kana alot of time

- Need to change more water frequently as water will get bad faster

-need to buy all small equip,when want to upgrade...aiya have to buy everything bigger

-All these lead to one main thing. An nano Setup cannot occupy too many fishes. and most likely you

are looking at a smaller variety of fishes. No tangs etc.

-And lets Look at the reef enviroment, fishes need more place to swim. The ocean is Big.

- Moreover You will get bored of it quickly

Advantage

-Use less additives

-LR cure faster

-easy to put your hand in and catch stuff easily..

I have gone through the phase of starting small. But i think 3ft is the smallest and the best size.

The bigger the better, Can have the best out of reefing.

The most important thing about reefing is that success depends on continuous effort to keeping the water clean.thats all

My 2 cents

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

Hi guys , i am a very new newbie. Hope to learn more b4 investing.

Is it true newbie start of with a smaller tank will be better? (24"x12"x18") :unsure:

How much must i spend in total for a 2ft tank .

Hi tiong,

If you want to start with 2ft tank...I suggest you go for 2nd hand RedSeaMax which all equipment are integrated :yeah: .

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member
hi all west reefer,

Where is the best LFS to do my setup ?

What is the different from nano tank to the other tank.

How much is the standard decent setup for a 3ft tank. (then slowly upgrade the system) cos i think OJT will be better than reading .

If u gt the tank as in old tank wouldnt be that ex.If u gt the tank+sump den tank costs around $800 to 1k.Plus all the equips can shoot out of 2k if u bot those high class stuffs or 1st hand.Mine all budget 1st hand and 2nd hand no sump onli gt filter,skimmer and FR.FR is a good item to invest.You put in phosphate removal or carbon filter or both in one go.My tank is already out of 1k.Why dun u straight away get to the big tank if u have the cash???

Woah expensive for a student like me without financial support other than lunch money receive per week.If u are like me 4get about the sump and get all the basic equips like skimmer,lights,FR,External filter(must for no sump use),Live rocks,media,livestocks etc.Best LFS i woul reccomend Henry from MarineLife.Got good consultation from him.

girlone.png

For redsea max tank, do find review as i heard some gave way. All the best. : )

If u gt the tank as in old tank wouldnt be that ex.If u gt the tank+sump den tank costs around $800 to 1k.Plus all the equips can shoot out of 2k if u bot those high class stuffs or 1st hand.Mine all budget 1st hand and 2nd hand no sump onli gt filter,skimmer and FR.FR is a good item to invest.You put in phosphate removal or carbon filter or both in one go.My tank is already out of 1k.Why dun u straight away get to the big tank if u have the cash???

Woah expensive for a student like me without financial support other than lunch money receive per week.If u are like me 4get about the sump and get all the basic equips like skimmer,lights,FR,External filter(must for no sump use),Live rocks,media,livestocks etc.Best LFS i woul reccomend Henry from MarineLife.Got good consultation from him.

Algae Scrubbler