Dead Rocks vs Live Rocks - Treat or dont Treat

Ok. Lesson time, certainly hope experienced reefers can share their experiences. Had searched through the forum and the topic was raised in the past with mixed opinions. Think no right or wrong but individual preference.

For newbie like me, before i start this hobby, in layman term, a rock is just a "stone" for decoration. Only after i came into this hobby, i find that there are alot to learn. Basically everything - lighting, filter, etc. So for the benefit of newbies reading through the forum, hoping to gather some info, hope this topic can expand and help.

For rocks, to my knowledge, there are artificial one(those from golden octopus-shop), dead rock and live rock.

1. For artificial

- Unlikely to have parasite(notwithstanding the fact that cockcroaches might lay their eggs on them if not properly stored, etc...hehe)

- Good Shapes

- Hard to cultivate bacteria on them? - Need advice. From what i know, coraline algae can still form on them, hence possible to cultivate good algae?

- Price...

- Light

2. Dead Rock

- Unlikely to have parasite if fully cured - Go thr major freshwater dip, iodine dip and under the sun(heat treatment)

- Need to cultivate bacteria? - How, is it by dosing those addictive? Previous comment is using freshwater dip might cause harmful algae problem, spike in ammonia level, etc.

- Commando Parasite might resurrect

- Price ??

3. Live Rock

- Lightly to have parasite - crab, worms, etc. Method to overcome - set trap. Effectiveness depends on how big the tank, how clever the parasite, type of setup - fish vs reef or combination of both.

- Good and bad bacterias

- Price depends

Hope senior reefers can add-on and elaborate on the points and provide experiences - treating of liverock or no treatment at all.

Hope i am not violating any rules and regulation, if yes, please pardon me and delete my post. Thanks.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

I'm not a senior... but I'll go with good Live Rocks anytime... one lesson I learn is choose those LR with good shape and "porous-ness" don't go for "boulder" kind of rocks... just a lump of mass means nothing... good shape helps in scaping and porous ones will become good denitrators for your tank system to last for the many years ahead.

Key is longevity and success of the tank.

I doubt the other 2 kinds of rocks can help your tank go the distance... maybe if you want to use those fake rocks to help coral formations or "Rics - Garden" or "Zoas Garden"... guess it is fine... but do note that 2-3 yrs down the road, these fake rocks will become nitrate time bomb inside, as water will be contained within the walls of the rocks... just try it and take it out of your water... you can smell the smelly fake rocks.

Dunno much abt dead rocks... why would you consider it?? it is dead...

Thanks for the info exchange. I think through all these exchanges, we learn. Heard from some seniors that they do regret no treating their live rock because when everything is in the tank and subsequently, they found "crab" etc, it will be a disaster. If those parasite is stupid enough, they will be caught by the trap setup but most of the time, they are rather wise(maybe with a PhD...lol). Anyway, based on past threads, it is a mixed opinion. Some prefers to treat and cultivate the rocks while others prefer just live rocks. Think it is another issue as to using new sea water vs using salt mixed water.

Keep the discussion coming so that newbies can learn and know what they prefer.

Thanks again. : )

Dead rocks will become live rocks again after some time in the tank.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Me not an expert/ experienced chap and have not been seriously in touch Marine aquarium for years, but just restarted. In addition to what you have, these are some of my past experiences

1. For artificial

- Some made from composite materials for landscapping, that bleeches trace amount of toxic chemicals that when accumulated, will be hazardous to my type of tank, whereby other than siphoning small amount of sea water, I have not changed the tank water for more than 2 years.

2. Dead Rock

- Dead / dried organism trapped in the rocks, will rot in the holes. Need to introduce baterials or animals to 'devour' the carcases

3. Live Rock

- Quite a lot of parasites, but often good surprises as well, like a 15cm sea worms being the centre of the buffet for my inhabitants! :eyebrow:

Thanks. Pardon me, hence using replica rock does pose a danger. I am using partial replica rock from GO for my setup. hmmm....maybe have to consider changing them to liverock....hehe

Personal experience on live rock, got a rock with zoas on it but the zoas were dying off slowly....got a friend advice to hack off the rock and separate those good one from bad one.......managed to hack them apart....the internal part of the rock was rotten and soft(the rock looked solid from outside). After got separated, the zoas are doing well.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share. : )

Thanks for sa

Me not an expert/ experienced chap and have not been seriously in touch Marine aquarium for years, but just restarted. In addition to what you have, these are some of my past experiences

1. For artificial

- Some made from composite materials for landscapping, that bleeches trace amount of toxic chemicals that when accumulated, will be hazardous to my type of tank, whereby other than siphoning small amount of sea water, I have not changed the tank water for more than 2 years.

2. Dead Rock

- Dead / dried organism trapped in the rocks, will rot in the holes. Need to introduce baterials or animals to 'devour' the carcases

3. Live Rock

- Quite a lot of parasites, but often good surprises as well, like a 15cm sea worms being the centre of the buffet for my inhabitants! :eyebrow:

Algae Scrubbler