substitute with coral chip in CR

• SRC Member
errr....i think not worth saving.....you will not know what type of elements gets release as these media melts....if tank crash, its worst then the cost of getting the CR media many times over....

IMO, shouldn't b a problem right! It's actually what they have absorbed to form their skeleton, now whatever has release should b no harm to e corals. Just my shallow thoughts... :paiseh:

i remember in RC web page there is a discussion about this and lot of expert reefers are using this method i also use in my second chamber to stabilize ph being using that for almost a year and ppl do say they leach some phosphate but the amout is very negligible

My old tankMY reef my world

20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. udaya

• SRC Member

Great to hear from u guys, just wanna have more clear info., beside tat no "ill effect" whatsoever, is there positive result tat a CR shd serves? :eyebrow:

If you want peace of mind, get those CR media which is marketed as low in phosphates and stuff which might leak out in 'dirtier/poor quality' but 'a lot cheaper' coral chips... you may have to use more anti-phosphate removers as a result.

A CR would give you constant levels of calcium and alk which would improve the well-being of those livestock which uses these. Your coralline algae would also grow a lot quicker!

:)

• SRC Member
If you want peace of mind, get those CR media which is marketed as low in phosphates and stuff which might leak out in 'dirtier/poor quality' but 'a lot cheaper' coral chips... you may have to use more anti-phosphate removers as a result.

A CR would give you constant levels of calcium and alk which would improve the well-being of those livestock which uses these. Your coralline algae would also grow a lot quicker!

:)

Thank you BOSS for your helpful info. :rolleyes: