What equipment needed for tank setup?

Hi all experts,

I am setting up a 2'x2'x2' tank. So far, with recommendations from LFS, besides the usual piping and pump I was told to get a protein skimmer and chiller.

I intend to keep some fish and LR and corals (no specifics yet). I would like to ask you guys and gals for advise as I have been surfing this forum for past week and also been talking to some LFS:-

1) Do I need to get Calcium enhancer, Nitrate remover?

A LFS told me it's necessary as it helps in maintaining the water quality/condition. But another say no need as there are solutions in the market which I can apply into the water.

2) Any other stuff I have missed out besides the above?

Thank you thank you.

:thanks:

Bro, me not expert. Currently own a 2 x 2 x 2 with sump. Do search thr the members' tank spec and look through their progressin setup. It will help. By the way, you got the tank? Planning is required in the setup.

Anyway, yes, with your tank with sump, it will be your mechanical filter system. You do need a skimmer(some ppl use dont use skimmer and adopted other setup to perform the same manner as a skimmer). Came to know a reefer who dont use skimmer and kept SPS for 2 years.

Chiller is a yes if you are keeping coral. It will set and monitor your water temperature.

Lighting is required for your coral to grow and enhance the colour of fishes when viewed. MH or High output T5 with different colours.

Rock -artificial, live or dead rock for scaping. Sand/shell is subjective.

FR to reduce algae problem.

CR - inject calcium into the water but this can also be achieved thr dosage pump or manual dosing. If u keep SPS and require stable water condition, do look into add on chamber, pH controller and CO2 with solenoid valve.

Ozoniser - Help to introduce 03 and enhance the skimmer function but practice care when using the equipment as the gas is harmful.

UV - kill parasites(good and bad)

Wave Maker - Create circulation

Deniltrator - reduce NO level

DI/RO - provide distilled water and can measure the leveth TDS

Monitoring tools - pH monitor, ORP controller or monitor, refractometer(measure SG), test kits to test water, etc

Additives and food.

Salt, auto - food temper, auto - top up, etc.

For certain equipment, it might not be necessary. Hope this help.

Hi all experts,

I am setting up a 2'x2'x2' tank. So far, with recommendations from LFS, besides the usual piping and pump I was told to get a protein skimmer and chiller.

I intend to keep some fish and LR and corals (no specifics yet). I would like to ask you guys and gals for advise as I have been surfing this forum for past week and also been talking to some LFS:-

1) Do I need to get Calcium enhancer, Nitrate remover?

A LFS told me it's necessary as it helps in maintaining the water quality/condition. But another say no need as there are solutions in the market which I can apply into the water.

2) Any other stuff I have missed out besides the above?

Thank you thank you.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Hi Bro, not problem lar. If you are keeping mostly LPS, i think CR is not necessary and you can maintain the CR in your tank by manual dose or using dosing pump. If you are keep SPS or hard coral, yes, CR is required and you need other equipment to ensure the stability of your water parameter. For SPS, you need to have strong flow, hence wave maker is required.

Me planning for a tank. Mind me asking whether you tank is newly made or from someone. If newly made, mind sharing who is the making and how much. Do search and understand what are the good to have features for your tank, it will prevent disaster and aids in water change, etc.

Anything, just post, i think snr reefers will be glad to teach you. Must foster stronger bond among reefers....hehe.

Hi Solo77,

Yes, I surfed almost the entire section on setup. Generally, key equipment to have are chillers, skimmers, lightings for fish/coral rearing. There is limited mention of eg. CR to be included in the setup. Furthermore, different LFS saying different things (maybe they are coming from different economic viewpoint). Hence, I am caught in no-man's land don't know what is needed or can do without.

Thank you very much for your input.. I will research more into it. In a few weeks time when the tank is set up I will post and share my experience and also upload some pics.

This is a first-step and continuous learning process. Let's see where this will lead me to. :whistle

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Since you got the tank from the LFS, try to get them to help or get bro here to help. Get consultant is good if you start from nothing, now u got tank, maybe not that worth but it depends on you and your budget. Hehe.

Dear Solo77,

Hehe.. couldn't agree more that the old birds here are more than helpful to share their experiences and we can all learn from each other.

I did not custom made the tank - bought it off the shelf from LFS at Pasir Ris Farmway. I am thinking of engaging a 'consultant' to set it up for me.

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

i m keeping some normal LPS for my tank n i dun use a CR... my advise is juz do a simple set up for ur tank first...eg, get the basic stuff (chiller, skimmer, lightings,FR) for CA,MG, KH u can use manual dosing first... play ard with ur system after cycling then u will have a better understanding of how to maintain ur tank. maybe u can maintain ur tank with manual dosing so u can save the money of the CR. denitrator u will not need it so soon or u may not even need to use it if u r not overstocking ur tank.

my final advise is reefing need lots of patient. whatever u do, dun rush.