Ka reactor and Ca reactor..

Terryz_

• SRC Member

Ka reactor = Kalkwasser reactor

Ca reactor = Calcium reactor

Different things.

Both should come with at least one powerhead for internal circulation. They might require additional input pump and the kalk reactor should ideally use a peristaltic pump for better precision of dosing.

Kalkwasser reactor is just a convenient way to top up water with kalkwasser solution.

Calcium reactor uses carbon dioxide to dissolve calcium carbonate to maintain alkalinity and calcium levels.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 1 year later...

Addition to this,

i've got a 2 feet-Tank Nano and recently had been using RawoPhos to reduce the spikes in Phroshphate any ideas, on what to use, was looking thru these past issues, abt

but than need some advice on a fluid reactor too? anyone use any of these on a 2 feet without a Sump?

Can share some expereinces on how the chemical blances are in check??

• SRC Member

Different things.

Both should come with at least one powerhead for internal circulation. They might require additional input pump and the kalk reactor should ideally use a peristaltic pump for better precision of dosing.

Kalkwasser reactor is just a convenient way to top up water with kalkwasser solution.

Calcium reactor uses carbon dioxide to dissolve calcium carbonate to maintain alkalinity and calcium levels.

hey, i thought it should be this way:

1) ca reactor --> increase and/or maintain calcium levels

2) Ka reactor --> maintain calcium and KH

correct if im wrong...

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

• SRC Member
As terry was proposing is there anything to fit a 2 feet, which is currently just on a Cannister, anything in the market to support this..

kent marine aqua dose???? basically use to drip kalkwater into the tank..... :D

personally for small tank, CA and Kalk reactor is really a overkill....but if you must then the Dupla CA reactor is a good small CA to use (but very ex)....

Addition to this,

i've got a 2 feet-Tank Nano and recently had been using RawoPhos to reduce the spikes in Phroshphate any ideas, on what to use, was looking thru these past issues, abt

but than need some advice on a fluid reactor too? anyone use any of these on a 2 feet without a Sump?

Can share some expereinces on how the chemical blances are in check??

Bro... you power sia... go and dig out such an old thread... lol...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Sorry to borrow this thread.  I have a question about kalkwasser. 

Can kalkwasser be pre-prepared in a big non air-tight container and then use it for drip over the next 1-2 weeks?

CHEERS!

From my understanding - No.

If I'm not mistaken the logic is that if calcium hydroxide comes into contact with atmospheric carbon dioxide it becomes insoluble calcium carbonate. This calcium carbonate precipitates out of the solution and does not provide usable calcium.

Hope I got that right.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

• SRC Member

Agree with Tanzy. Ka and Ca reactors are two different things but both serves the same purpose of replacing the need for dosing.As the names suggest, Ka reactor is for kalkwasser whereas Ca is for Calcium. However, Ka reactor also releases calcium but not in large amounts needed for your tank. Its good point is that it won't de-stabilise your pH as in the case of a poorly tuned Ca reactor. Also Ka reactors also been known to lower P04 levels.

Agree with Tanzy. Ka and Ca reactors are two different things but both serves the same purpose of replacing the need for dosing.As the names suggest, Ka reactor is for kalkwasser whereas Ca is for Calcium. However, Ka reactor also releases calcium but not in large amounts needed for your tank. Its good point is that it won't de-stabilise your pH as in the case of a poorly tuned Ca reactor. Also Ka reactors also been known to lower P04 levels.

Its best to run both calcium reactor and kalk reactor in the reef tank, is it true?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

From my understanding - No.

If I'm not mistaken the logic is that if calcium hydroxide comes into contact with atmospheric carbon dioxide it becomes insoluble calcium carbonate. This calcium carbonate precipitates out of the solution and does not provide usable calcium.

Hope I got that right.

thank you for answering my question.

Just to further my question, so if i am able to keep the pre-mix kalk solution air-tight in a container for 1-2 week and only use it as and when i need it will that be alright then?

CHEERS!

thank you for answering my question.

Just to further my question, so if i am able to keep the pre-mix kalk solution air-tight in a container for 1-2 week and only use it as and when i need it will that be alright then?

CHEERS!

Not too sure if there are any ill effects doing it that way. I personally have not tried it. Having said that, I know of some people doing so. They extra solution are usually kept in air tight bottles (e.g. Coke bottles) in the fridge, but I don't think it is kept for more than a week.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

• SRC Member

Not too sure if there are any ill effects doing it that way. I personally have not tried it. Having said that, I know of some people doing so. They extra solution are usually kept in air tight bottles (e.g. Coke bottles) in the fridge, but I don't think it is kept for more than a week.

I see.

cos' i have this thinking that Kalk Reactor also about the same.. it is air-tight and the kalk solution in the reactor is usually last for 1-2 weeks right? the only diff is that the kalk reactor get fresh water top-up into it every now and then.

I may be wrong.. :lol:

Bro... you power sia... go and dig out such an old thread... lol...

Bro, both also same time join one wat....and anywayz, better be safe than sorry, Don't want to be flamed, Go search for infor than if really can't find than only ask for questions..... :lol:

• SRC Member
is there air gap in the reactor ? hmm... need to check.

I guess not (i don't have a KR) even if it has.. should be little, cos' any large amount of air in the reactor i guess should be escaped out via the out-flow hose of the reactor to the sump right?