DT's Phytoplankton

jameslim

Does anyone know where to buy DT's Phytoplankton product? Can't find it so far in Singapore. Read on the web that this product is highly recommended by authors like Ron Shimek.

I am currently using frozen green algae from ReefWorld (1 small chilli tub for $10). Actually don't know whether it is effective or not.

thanks.

• SRC Member

i dun think its spirulina- it wipes out my brineshrimp- but ok for rotifiers.

this i guess that the strain of algae is too small for bs but right for rotifiers.

i looking for spirulina powder(there are live cells in there) from health shops- but all got additives & flavourings.

i'm using that stuff from reefworld too- left a bit.

james, this kind of specialized formulas u gotta try mail order-

Yes, DT's phytoplankton is alive... in suspended animation or dormant... and very concentrated.

Can be kept alive up to 5 months in the fridge but cannot be frozen or the cells will burst. Must be used up in that time or nutritional value drops rapidly.

Can stand 2 days in transit if unrefrigerated. Any more exposure to heat means a drop in nutritional value.

It's expensive, about S$72 excluding shipping for a mere 0.88 litres.

If you don't want the hassle of culturing live plankton ie. lazy... then it's perfect but you pay for the convenience.

If you prefer live plankton and don't mind the effort to do so.... it's much cheaper and can be an ever lasting supply (as long as you don't screw up by forgetting to harvest or by cross-contaminating the cultures).

Me loh!! I am culturing phytoplankton and rotifers... didn't you read about it?

Just give me 2 more weeks to get my worktable up and my culturing station running again coz my fishroom is so messy now.... my father-in-law is helping me with my electricals now...