OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

this photo of C. niger looks like an aquarium shot!

have these been imported before?

i don't know!

this is a really really rare fish and very little info and photos are available! if it has indeed been caught and sold before, that's amazing!

post-15755-0-39120600-1318521361_thumb.j

Chaetodontoplus generally grow huge and need a lot of swimming space. And those big size one are hard to adapt and keep alive and i tend to be like u too, dislike most species from the chaetodontoplus family.

However there are a few that stay small. Like Singapore angel and poliourus angel, they rarely exceed 3". I'm lucky to able to keep a poliourus angel, which is a wonderful fish that is still with me.

There is another one that stay small and it is one of the rarest of the chaetodontoplus, second only to the famous Ballina angel from lord howe australia.

Here it is, Chaetodontoplus Niger. A cute little angel that has not yet appear in the trade! V rare and found deep. Shallowest is about 40m in some parts of Japan water. Otherwise usually 80m and deeper.

Many pics to follow:

This is my favorite angelfish in the Chaetodontoplus, been dreaming about getting it in my dream... Tat serious... LOL... But in reality, even if it is being caught the price would be comparable to a personatus, Just my opinion..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

liveaquaria listed this as super rare declivis x tinker's hybrid and sold for $600.

really? it looks 100% declivis to me. a very dark version of the declivis butterfly.

what are your views?

post-15755-0-27006300-1318560439_thumb.p

liveaquaria listed this as super rare declivis x tinker's hybrid and sold for $600.

really? it looks 100% declivis to me. a very dark version of the declivis butterfly.

what are your views?

Nothing different other than the darker ###### fin... Very subtle difference...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Nothing different other than the darker ###### fin... Very subtle difference...

i don't think it is a hybrid.

i think it's just a darker variant of the declivis butterflyfish.

look at these old declivis i've had. don't they look identical?

moreover, the fish is listed as christmas island declivis x tinker.

i don't think you can find tinker's butterfly in christmas island. christmas island is in the indian ocean and tinker's butterflyfish is strictly pacific, and found only in hawaii, marshall and johnston islands!

so no. i don't think it's a hybrid.

just my opinion.

post-15755-0-11426600-1318560969_thumb.j

post-15755-0-46966500-1318560975_thumb.j

what are your views?

Wow!

It could be a hybrid. But it could be a aberrant declivis too. No matter what it is, it's a small fish and i would gladly pay 600 for it.

• Senior Reefer

Wow!

It could be a hybrid. But it could be a aberrant declivis too. No matter what it is, it's a small fish and i would gladly pay 600 for it.

how does it look like a hybrid to you?

actually i'm v interested to know also. coz tinkeri cannot be found in christmas island. so if it's really a hybrid, does that mean a range extension for tinkeri?

Out of words....

Dinner plate size. Morph back to normal colors in less than half a year.

LCK has brought in at least three to date and i've witnessed how fast they change back to their colors.

I would have liked it more if it wont morph back. Like the aberrant coral beauty at CF now is a big and worthless full grown normal coral beauty.

Here are other rarities from LADD:

3" black tang. This is now extremely rare size to obtain. Only small or v big black tangs are now available to the market. 3" ones are becoming fewer and fewer in the sea for some reason. So if u ever see a 3" one again at LCK, pls snatch it!

post-10328-0-65581600-1318646122_thumb.j

2.5" xanthotis angelfish. V rare angelfish. Found in redsea shipment on rare occasion and even rarer to find it in east african shipment! Furthermore they usually come at bigger size. This african xanthotis is only 2.5", simply stunning!

post-10328-0-03142200-1318646166_thumb.j

I'm a big fan of rare and reefsafe triggerfish but sadly cant keep them becos of my small tank. Rare and reefsafe ones like crosshatch and goldenback from hawaii are ever poopular and have been widely discussed. My new love is this kiri triggerfish from xmas island. They are usually v big, 6" and above. However this one is only 4.5", which is v small for a kiri trigger. Beautiful, deepwater and one of the most reefsafe trigger for your reef tank. But be prepared to pay upwards of 1k if any LFS offer it for sale here!

post-10328-0-20081200-1318646144_thumb.j

West Aussie jewel, the True personifer angel. Came in three times but did not gather too much interest from local reefers. Reason being this fish will only show the gorgeous blue face of a male when it hits 7" and above, not a desirable fish at that big size. Otherwise smaller ones are usually drab brownish to black females and selling at two to three times the price of a false personifer, it is quite understandable why it is not popular here. Nevertheless, it is still a rare fish w a distinctive tail band and is v popular in HK where pple are crazy over all angelfish.

post-10328-0-83473600-1318646133_thumb.j

Another aussie gem, the v rare Lunula triggerfish. Not reefsafe and usually caught v big, 7" and above. Never appeared before in our aussie shipment becos trigger is not popular locally. This lunula trigger is only 3" and is the smallest ever being sold and it'll be a v v long wait before another one this small is available. V costly fish, price rivals that of the kiri trigger.

post-10328-0-74008400-1318646155_thumb.j

Lastly the hawaiian blue spot boxfish. Not a very easy fish. This fish is now available at CF and u can go down to find out more on your own if it interests u.

post-10328-0-67508500-1318646176_thumb.j

I wouldnt say it rare but not much attention given to it... It is a Cryptic Wrasse... Contrary to many believe that is it big and aggressive, this wrasse is a very shy wrasse and they grow up to 3 inch only...

IMAG0141-1.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

Video..

th_VIDEO0017.jpg

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

a rare photo of a juvenile Xanthotis angel and the adult.

this is a beautiful species from the red sea region that i really hope to own one day.

not to be confused by the similar looking cream angel.

the white body with a thick black border is stunning! as the juveniles grow, the white part will slowly grow out and push the predominantly black body colouration to the edge, forming a thick, almost picture frame like appearance.

post-15755-0-21420600-1318690863_thumb.j

post-15755-0-18953500-1318690878_thumb.j