OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

aiyah. negligible difference lah.

both looks 99% identical...

anyway, A. properupta can look amazing as well. in fact, i think it's alot nicer than cyanosoma.

1 way to tell... A. properupta will kill same kind... They dun school...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

1 way to tell... A. properupta will kill same kind... They dun school...

they will school in the wild like the photo i posted. but in the tank they might kill themself. unless you get alot, and then get many large angels, tangs and boisterous fish. to initiate schooling behaviour.

anyway, most cardinals will end up killing each other anyway. banggai is famous example. in the wild all are schooling, but in tanks, only a pair is accepted.

which one u waiting 6 years?

both have came to singapore before.

harlequin brought in attenuatus before during africa shipments a long time ago. that was the only time i know of them coming to singapore. it's a very beautiful flasher.

as for angulatus, seen it quite a few times in CF, and that was the only place you can obtain it. Now iwarna brought in so there's 2 LFS with supply of angulatus. iwarna's one is so alpha and beautiful compared to the washed out sub male specimens in CF.

anyway both are nice but if u ask me, attenuatus is way more worth the hunt.

the only flashers WORTH getting IMO, is

- attenuatus (obtainable. just need to get LFS bring in)

- mccosker (meh. common, but one of the nicer common ones)

- angulatus (boo. can keep 1 just coz it's unique. but that's it)

- rubricaudalis (amazing stuff. fiji/vanuatu ONLY. there was once iwarna brough in a harem but i din buy. dam regret)

- octotaenia (yes! beautiful flasher from the red sea. obtainable.)

and of coz not forgetting the super unobtainable ones.

- bellae (keep dreaming)

- piscilineatus (HA! got money oso no use)

- walton (pfft. stop fooling yourself)

- hemitaeniatus (one of the most beautiful flashers IMO)

- tongaensis (looks EXACTLY like angulatus, but dorsal fin is rounded, not pointed. other than that, not much difference)

both of which are so extremely rare.

and then we have these 5..

- cyaneus

- filamentosus

- carpenteri

- flavianalis

- lineopunctatus

* all are so very common and seriously, no thrill in buying. for beginners, its reccomended because it's cheap, hardy and still nice. but for veterans like us, these are really not worth because there are so many nicer specimens out there that we can hunt. like some of those above.

I waited angulatus for 6 years...

LOL...

Dun want to even talk about the attenuatus that harlequin bought in, should have reserved... They dump the two remaining into their main tank a few minutes before I reached ... Sian...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

I waited angulatus for 6 years...

LOL...

Dun want to even talk about the attenuatus that harleqin... Was a few minutes late and they dump the two remaining into their main tank... Sian...

i can't believe you've been waiting angulatus for 6 years..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's SO COMMON AT CF.

but anyway can't blame you. CF dont bring in all the time and usually only a few pieces. each time all very pale, and small and all easily confused with the other common ones when they are stressed and in the boxes.

angulatus is found only in few parts of phillipines and no where else. so it is likely that only certain suppliers catching from some parts bring it in. that's why iwarna's phillipine suppliers, out of the few, only one today (a different one), brought them in. they must be catching in the correct areas.

they will school in the wild like the photo i posted. but in the tank they might kill themself. unless you get alot, and then get many large angels, tangs and boisterous fish. to initiate schooling behaviour.

anyway, most cardinals will end up killing each other anyway. banggai is famous example. in the wild all are schooling, but in tanks, only a pair is accepted.

If this dun work out, I would get a school of blue eye cardinal...

Member of:

i can't believe you've been waiting angulatus for 6 years..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's SO COMMON AT CF.

but anyway can't blame you. CF dont bring in all the time and usually only a few pieces. each time all very pale, and small and all easily confused with the other common ones when they are stressed and in the boxes.

angulatus is found only in few parts of phillipines and no where else. so it is likely that only certain suppliers catching from some parts bring it in. that's why iwarna's phillipine suppliers, out of the few, only one today (a different one), brought them in. they must be catching in the correct areas.

I dun remember seeing it in CF.. Maybe I never see properly... But nice catch today...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

I dun remember seeing it in CF.. Maybe I never see properly... But nice catch today...

here's another pic of Paracheilinus angulatus.

this one not so alpha. but still, the finnage is very nice. it reminds me of the little cursor produced by your mouse. the arrow. lol

post-15755-069742300 1279297548_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

So you were looking for these lar... It is very difficult to differential..

not really difficult.

the species are very easy to differentiate.

but the hybrids... they are difficult to identify the parents.

• Senior Reefer

2 pictures of Paracheilinus bellae. one of the holy grail of flasher wrasses.

identified by the yellow patch on the tail. found deep and near marshall islands i think.

post-15755-001849900 1279299356_thumb.jp

post-15755-023071100 1279299360_thumb.jp