OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

Ya I chosen the biggest of the 4 pc. Now I look at it , it's still so small.

I think it's closer to the 2nd pic color.

I hv a soft spot for serranus, esp chionaria.. But disappeared as quickly as it surfaced.

So this one is a close resemblance.

yes i think the two african ones are diff sp. but both should stay small and look quite attractive, so it's a good catch nonetheless.

i am also a serranus fan. actually, all basslets are awesome and make such good tank mates. Liopropoma epecially.

Serranus chionaraia made a very fleeting appearance when reborn brought one piece in. I think if i didn't remember wrongly, CF brought in one too. But then stop appearing and never seen again. Even in the U.S and Japan, the appearances have dwindled down considerably.

We need a powerful caribbean supplier and alot of pestering on our part if we wanna see chionaraia again. Our best chance is CF. they have brought in Serranus phoebe as well.

• Senior Reefer

Nice observation . That's truly the case.

5" is like dinner plate , what am I supposed to do with 5" fish ;)

sadly, that's the case.

it's very frustrating to see a large dinner plate sized butterflyfish.

tinker butterfly is a favorite fish to send at this size. i've seen numerous dinner plate tinkers that get stuck and unwanted. a shame! if they shaved off another 2-3 inches, it would be a highly desirable fish. another favorite of mine that always come in big sizes are Paucifasciatus and marginalis butterflies. juveniles are very rare, especially the former.

juvenile butterflies are more secretive, preferring to live within coral and hide most of the time. that makes it difficult for collectors to catch. whereas adult butterflies often swim in pairs and are easy to target.

yes i think the two african ones are diff sp. but both should stay small and look quite attractive, so it's a good catch nonetheless.

i am also a serranus fan. actually, all basslets are awesome and make such good tank mates. Liopropoma epecially.

Serranus chionaraia made a very fleeting appearance when reborn brought one piece in. I think if i didn't remember wrongly, CF brought in one too. But then stop appearing and never seen again. Even in the U.S and Japan, the appearances have dwindled down considerably.

We need a powerful caribbean supplier and alot of pestering on our part if we wanna see chionaraia again. Our best chance is CF. they have brought in Serranus phoebe as well.

For me, liopropoma n serranus is all that matters. I ask joe abt snow bass, but tough luck so far.

That phoebe I ask cf bring in, then they go sell to terry :(

I prob will get the luciopercanus in time.

I got the second snow from Digi but managed to kill it. I felt bad n must brush up on my fish keeping skills.

If u can get snow bass in, lmk. Nobody on this island wants this fish more than me.

you recently bought a Serranus sp. from CF right?

it is from Ghana, africa, and it will color up into a beautiful fish.

here's what it should look like.

these are both serranus sp. from africa.

My big one looks like the 2nd one.. darker color one..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

For me, liopropoma n serranus is all that matters. I ask joe abt snow bass, but tough luck so far.

I got the second snow from Digi but managed to kill it. I felt bad n must brush up on my fish keeping skills.

If u can get snow bass in, lmk. Nobody on this island wants this fish more than me.

Didnt know that phoebe is yours, haha.. It is lucky you didnt get it.. It is not very healthy, stopped eating the 2nd day and having white stringy poop before it up lorry.. Luciopercanus is soo ex but it like the mouth..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

I hav a thing for basslets, in particular liopropoma, lipogramma and gramma but not so much of serranus.

Chionaraia and phoebe are appear on rare occasions and are inexpensive.

Luciopercanus is a different story! It is going to be very expensive and must compete with overseas market!

Cardinal Soldier (Plectrypops Retrospinis, occasionally came in thru carribean shipment)

Came in before?!?!!?!

Not locally. Sometimes i see it on japanese website appearing in their new shipment.

Not a super rare fish but just no demand. If u special order for it i m sure with a bit of waiting it will come very fast.

Lucio not ex according to joe s quote! Unless he quote me wrong. But I money tight so didn't commit .

I think we all hv a soft spot for liopropomas. Lipos- I think tend to be fragile.

It's ok Terry, doesn't matter who hold e fish. I was just surprised cf didn't even call me then.phoebe only small then cute.

• SRC Member

nice pattern.

post-15726-0-84536300-1373304828.jpg

post-15726-0-77759100-1373304839.jpg

post-15726-0-98436200-1373304853.jpg

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

I almost fainted when I saw this picture....Are they crazy???

haha, it may seem like it, but it is very normal.

to us, many tangs and surgeon fish make good fish for aquariums. but to the locals, surgeon fish are one of the best foods to eat.

in hawaii, achilles tangs make good food fish. in indonesia, sailfin tangs, other large surgeon fish, angels such as blue ring, koran, etc and triggerfish especially, make good food. even foxface can be eaten.

at the end of the day, they are still edible fish that live in the sea and are part of the local diet. the rabbit fish we eat during CNY is from the foxface family. just that it's not colourful.

• SRC Member

haha, it may seem like it, but it is very normal.

to us, many tangs and surgeon fish make good fish for aquariums. but to the locals, surgeon fish are one of the best foods to eat.

in hawaii, achilles tangs make good food fish. in indonesia, sailfin tangs, other large surgeon fish, angels such as blue ring, koran, etc and triggerfish especially, make good food. even foxface can be eaten.

at the end of the day, they are still edible fish that live in the sea and are part of the local diet. the rabbit fish we eat during CNY is from the foxface family. just that it's not colourful.

Wouldn't they fetch much more out of the ATs if they sell them for captivity?

• Senior Reefer

Wouldn't they fetch much more out of the ATs if they sell them for captivity?

to them they probably wouldn't know about the value of AT in the trade. it's just a common food item for them. the indons eat maxima and squamosa clams too.

but it's better that way. small scale fishing of AT for food would be less damaging to the wild population. imagine if every villager knew about its worth, soon all will be over fished for sale.

most extinctions happen like that. hunting for food and sustenance in small scale is not usually enough to wipe out a species and it's sustainable in the long run. but when people know of the value, then over fishing and over hunting will begin. many animals today face that problem.