OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

Cook island canary damsel in Japan

attachicon.gifgalba.jpg

Helcogramma striata (another interesting japan fish!)

attachicon.gifHelcogramma striata.jpg

Tinker pair and juvenile in HK

attachicon.giftinker pair.jpg

when will we get to see canary damsel here?

i love that juvi tinker. HK have been getting many juvi tinkers recently.

Cryptocentrus leucostictus and Amblyeleotris latifasciata from today iwarna philippine shipment

After consulting in Reef Fishes of the East Indies I'm going to say that this is Cryptocentrus albidorsus. The main difference seems to be the extent of the white dorsal stripe... which is a stripe in C. albidorsus and a series of white saddles in C. leucostictus. C. albidorsus also has 113-130 lateral line scales, to just 90 in leucostictus. A more typical C. leucostictus can be seen in this video.

Nice article on the "basabei" butterfly, Lemon. I never did hear back from Dr Pyle. I guess it'll remain a mystery.

Cheers.

• Senior Reefer

After consulting in Reef Fishes of the East Indies I'm going to say that this is Cryptocentrus albidorsus. The main difference seems to be the extent of the white dorsal stripe... which is a stripe in C. albidorsus and a series of white saddles in C. leucostictus. C. albidorsus also has 113-130 lateral line scales, to just 90 in leucostictus. A more typical C. leucostictus can be seen in this video.

Nice article on the "basabei" butterfly, Lemon. I never did hear back from Dr Pyle. I guess it'll remain a mystery.

Cheers.

Fascinating!

i have never heard of C. albidorsus! yet again thank you for your help.

thanks for the information re. basabei.

what blue gobies are these?

Dejong's facebook calls these Eviota fasciola. But this fish is very differently colored. E. fasciola is grey to greenish with around 15 orangish vertical bars. Here's the only photo of one I can find online. None of my field guides have a photo of a living specimen, so it seems less likely this species will make it into the aquarium industry anytime soon.

The species in this photo appears to be Eviota queenslandica. The only photo of a living specimen I could find is a misidentified specimen from Dejong's website. This is an apparently common species throughout the Western & Central Pacific. "Semi-translucent grey or greenish with intense dark spots on head, narrow brown to reddish scale margins, about six internal brown bars, and pair of dark brown spots on pectoral fin base."

Cheers.

Dejong's facebook calls these Eviota fasciola. But this fish is very differently colored. E. fasciola is grey to greenish with around 15 orangish vertical bars. Here's the only photo of one I can find online. None of my field guides have a photo of a living specimen, so it seems less likely this species will make it into the aquarium industry anytime soon.

The species in this photo appears to be Eviota queenslandica. The only photo of a living specimen I could find is a misidentified specimen from Dejong's website. This is an apparently common species throughout the Western & Central Pacific. "Semi-translucent grey or greenish with intense dark spots on head, narrow brown to reddish scale margins, about six internal brown bars, and pair of dark brown spots on pectoral fin base."

Wow i learn something new! Thank you for your posts. We are fortunate to have you join this thread.

Lemon,

You mentioned there was a triplefin that appeared at Iwarna, is it the same as this one below? Dejong labelled this as Tripterygiidae sp.

post-10328-0-59327400-1377437982_thumb.j

Also this parapercis i see it regularly at Coral Farm. Again labelled as sp. by Dejong.

post-10328-0-48266500-1377438013_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer
Lemon, You mentioned there was a triplefin that appeared at Iwarna, is it the same as this one below? Dejong labelled this as Tripterygiidae sp. attachicon.gifhttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=201655'>tripterygiidae-sp.jpg Also this parapercis i see it regularly at Coral Farm. Again labelled as sp. by Dejong. attachicon.gifhttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=201656'>parapercis-sp..jpg
Yes.same