OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

so anybody buying in Singapore...?

not that i know of, but whoever does has to be mentally prepared and can provide for what he/she is paying for.

do not be clouded by success stories all over the internet. many peppermints have entered the hobby but only a small handful are alive. being a deepwater paracentropyge, it is a difficult fish. the buyer should also provide a dedicated set up with dim lights and suitable aquascape. in a full blown reef tank with bright lights and various other run of the mill fish, the fish will lose its value, look cheap, and will not do well.

are these photos from latest expedition...?

i think obtaining Peppermint at this point is like Russian roulette..hit or miss..some won't make it past quarantine even with proper care..[/quote

For this kind of money , I'll leave it awhile at the lfs first .. Difficulty level seems like its black/white counterpart.. Tricky..

• Senior Reefer

these are three deepwater anthias that were all wrongly identified in the past. all three are similar and have been erroneously labelled as "odontanthias chrysostictus"

with the help of digiman and reading some description pdf papers, it's safe to say we've more or less figured out a way on differentiating O. katayamai, O. chrysostictus and O. tapui.

read here for more. http://reefbuilders.com/2013/10/01/confusion-straightened-differences-odontanthias-chrysostictus-katayamai-tapui/

post-0-0-19256600-1380647447_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-07993800-1380647449_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-11963700-1380647452_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

the most logical thing to do.

the wisest choice is to leave it at blueharbor, where koji wada is one of the best person on earth to care for it.

if you are going to count on it feeding and acclimating, there's no other place like BH. i've seen his personal collection of narcosis, guyanensis, aya etc all eating pellets like mad. amazing. don't need to worry on peppermints being sold out. there are 9-10 and not all are being absorbed by japan. there will be leftovers.

• Senior Reefer

there's a new Claire fairy wrasse at BH now.

C. claire is a most amazing species. It is the last species of fairy wrasse to have its live picture taken in year 2012. described in 2001. for 11 years the only known pics of this fish were the dead holotypes. it's type location was cook island, roratonga.

all the claire fairy wrasses have been collected from tahiti now which means a range extension for this species.

this was the first pair ever to be caught, sold, and seen by the world in 2012. i was fortunate to see and photograph this fish. although it was swimming with a narcosis and bodianus sp at BH, i could think of nothing more but admiring the fairy wrasse. it has a unique greenish coloration.

will always be the most fascinating fairy wrasse for me.

post-0-0-54138200-1380648143_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-16075000-1380648146_thumb.jpg

also there should be more than 9...as 4 peppermints are heading for USA...one is going to Humaguy from whose thread i took the pictures,a guy(another RC forumer) there buying a pair directly from Rufus too,..and one is heading for NYA...

• Senior Reefer

also there should be more than 9...as 4 peppermints are heading for USA...one is going to Humaguy from whose thread i took the pictures,a guy(another RC forumer) there buying a pair directly from Rufus too,..and one is heading for NYA...

i think the 9 at BH are not including the ones going to the u.s

• Senior Reefer

seems like all the smaller specimens went to BH....

Lemon,do you know how many died in the Feb shipment of 5 peppermints...?

i am not sure. but there are casualties for sure.

the peppermints are arriving smaller and healthier by the batches though.