Crept's 24G Journal...

Crept

I know your feeling, it's very devastating losing so much LS like what I felt when my tank broke. It's just misfortune you have the best chiller in the market, it should not fail within 2 months.

yup very devastated, hwever im concern tht the technician said that it was a common problem and that it happen alot for this chiller... havent hear of this "common" problem before... cant believe that i actualy bought it cos of its reliability.. <_<

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

May I ask where you put your chiller?

and was it in where it was shown in your pictures from start of your tank till this misfortune?

any relocations during that period?

anyway sorry for your tank. and no cauliflowers k! (same advices from the same guy in another forum and SRC)

cheers

May I ask where you put your chiller?

and was it in where it was shown in your pictures from start of your tank till this misfortune?

any relocations during that period?

anyway sorry for your tank. and no cauliflowers k! (same advices from the same guy in another forum and SRC)

cheers

Yes, same place as in the the first post... never relocate it...

hmm i still feel that it have good ventilation at the front and back....

.....should i relocate it??? :unsure:

Thanks for the advice bro Ancelot, yes i've learnt my lesson... no more cauliflower... :peace:

maybe ur chiller frequent kicking in n out kill the controller?

The tech told me that this might be one of the reason...

Can it be due to the wrng placement of the chiller pump and return hose.??? :unsure:

I gt the return hose from the chiller in the first chamber........ third chamber chiller pump and return pump to tank.

Any bros with Nanocube and chiller?? Which chamber do u guy place ur chiller pump and return hose frm chiller?? :paiseh:

• SRC Member

No problem dude.

This hobby is about learning; not fighting. Glad you took it well (:

alright,

YES! you should relocate the bugger!

cause I seriously do not like the idea of a chiller inside a cabinet despite the cabinet looking damn airy, super airy or has a tornado running through it. Your chiller will spoil in the end despite all the above given scenarios. So put outside is the best!

and,

about how your fishes die, well your corals could have nuked them! what skimmer are you running at the moment?

cause,

for a temperature as 30-31, it is still okay to keep fishes! (well I have tried before) but corals nah. they will expel their guts and melt off if water temperature rises to that level.

So basically your tank's Seconds to Disaster as follows:

Overheating begins in your chiller> circuit board in chiller got fried> chiller unable to kick in> temperature in tank rises gradually> corals start to shrink; fishes still okay> corals melt out, fouling water; toxic level rises, fishes start to suffocate> 90% of corals died, toxic levels rises exponentially, 2 fishes died.. then a whirlwind comes along..

well dude, take it easy. given this lesson, I hope you have seen that this hobby is pretty volatile.

Investing in great equipments is a good start, but it is not the foolproof start.

So I hope you will look at this hobby in a different light. Because it's the nature of this hobby that makes it terribly interesting to explore!

so hope you wipe away those heartbreaks and restart again.

Good luck!

Great piece of advice and encouragement bro Ancelot... Really appreciate it...

Yes everyday is a learning day for me, however i think the most important thing is not to make the same mistake over and over again....

I did learnt alot frm u and the rest of the reefers here ... which i really appreciate the knowledge past down to me....

Furthermore im a noob at this,and since everyone have diffrent opinion of this hobby, something i do get confuse...

However like wat u say... it definately makes it terribly interesting to explore!

I have check all the corals, none of the corals are dead expect for the clam....

My only surviving fishes are 1 true percula, 1 maroon, 1 yellow tail damsel,and 1 mandarin (surpisingly)

Myb the death of the clam nuke the tank???Is that possible?? :eyeblur:

Anyway i been monitering the chiller, it kick in roughly every 20min..and kick out after 10min of chilling... (time taken frm 11 -3pm, weather hot)

Is tht good or bad???

• SRC Member

No problem! (:

It's a growing up process (:

well,

in this hobby, you have to go with a BIG heart! cause like you said everyone has a different opinion about reefkeeping. Meaning to say, eveyone has their own idea of a winning formula to take them to how they want their tanks to be! So, try not to be affected by what others say. Take it, digest it, make it into your own knowledge with what you have learnt. Afterall it's YOU who define how your tank will be, not others! (:

Yes, clams are possible. Have you seen a melted clam? OOO! nasty beetch! like some melted 'cobweb'! Yucks! And dude, unless you own an marinium, or else small accidents or mishaps like extended photoperiod, overdose of addictives, overfeeding, corals dying, intra-corals' chemical warfares etc have adverse effects in our systems. So yeah, it's possible ><! sadly..

May I know how many horsepower is your arctica chiller?

No problem! (:

It's a growing up process (:

well,

in this hobby, you have to go with a BIG heart! cause like you said everyone has a different opinion about reefkeeping. Meaning to say, eveyone has their own idea of a winning formula to take them to how they want their tanks to be! So, try not to be affected by what others say. Take it, digest it, make it into your own knowledge with what you have learnt. Afterall it's YOU who define how your tank will be, not others! (:

Yes, clams are possible. Have you seen a melted clam? OOO! nasty beetch! like some melted 'cobweb'! Yucks! And dude, unless you own an marinium, or else small accidents or mishaps like extended photoperiod, overdose of addictives, overfeeding, corals dying, intra-corals' chemical warfares etc have adverse effects in our systems. So yeah, it's possible ><! sadly..

May I know how many horsepower is your arctica chiller?

I am aware that a smaller system is harder as a small accident does alot more damage to the system... :thanks:

Yes my clam had melted... Nearly puked at it... :sick: When i took it out, it feel like half boiled egg... :sick:

:idea: since u say fish cant die so easily at high temp... tht must be the cause of it....

tht clam must have been the culprit... :blink:

Im using a Arctica DBI-050 Mini Chiller - 1/15 HP.......Flow Rate : 400l/hr - 600l/hr.

Im using it with a Hydor Seltz L20 Aquarium Pump (700 l/h) as the chiller pump... tht was recommended by AM...

Currently the remaining fish and coral r doing fine... Fish still eating... Coral still opening up...

Do u suggest i do a water change immediately?? and hw many percent should i change...??

• SRC Member
The tech told me that this might be one of the reason...

Can it be due to the wrng placement of the chiller pump and return hose.??? :unsure:

I gt the return hose from the chiller in the first chamber........ third chamber chiller pump and return pump to tank.

Any bros with Nanocube and chiller?? Which chamber do u guy place ur chiller pump and return hose frm chiller?? :paiseh:

hey bro.. i think you should consider connecting the return pipe straight back to the output of the tank.

it seems like your cold water is not circulating enough in the main tank..

just my 2 cents.. :peace:

this is how i did mine..

post-5684-1222111119.jpg

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

hey bro.. i think you should consider connecting the return pipe straight back to the output of the tank.

it seems like your cold water is not circulating enough in the main tank..

just my 2 cents.. :peace:

this is how i did mine..

Thank You so much for the illustration bro raydiative

Yes i do feel too that my cold water is nt circulating enough tht y it lead to the frequent kick in...

Frm the picture, am i right to say that u are using the same return pump as the chiller pump?

Is the flow strong enough???

Im currently using two pump, one return pump, the other chiller pump...

So hw frequent does ur chiller kick in bro???

Bro,you are also using a hydro nano is it??Good or nt??

Currently using only using the return pump for circulation...

• SRC Member
I am aware that a smaller system is harder as a small accident does alot more damage to the system... :thanks:

Yes my clam had melted... Nearly puked at it... :sick: When i took it out, it feel like half boiled egg... :sick:

:idea: since u say fish cant die so easily at high temp... tht must be the cause of it....

tht clam must have been the culprit... :blink:

Im using a Arctica DBI-050 Mini Chiller - 1/15 HP.......Flow Rate : 400l/hr - 600l/hr.

Im using it with a Hydor Seltz L20 Aquarium Pump (700 l/h) as the chiller pump... tht was recommended by AM...

Currently the remaining fish and coral r doing fine... Fish still eating... Coral still opening up...

Do u suggest i do a water change immediately?? and hw many percent should i change...??

Arctica Mini Chiller, hmm

I went to check out their website. They claimed that their mini chillers are running on small compressor units, far superior than other mini chillers which run on Peltzier technology. Therefore that should dispel some of my earlier doubts BUT!

Dude, you might want to look into the fan Arctica provides for you. Cause buying a branded chiller is one thing, but knowing how a chiller works is another!

I suspect you have a small fan which's in charge of cooling your radiator. And being small, it may not be capable of drawing sufficient cool air from the surroundings to cool down your radiator. So yup, you might want to look into that (:

Water changes?

Dude, I advise you not to change a BIG volume of water! You can only DO SMALL amounts of water changes. Like maybe 3% or 500ml every 2 days till your whole tank's volume has been completely changed over. Reason is because your tank has just gone through a tough time. So now's the time to give your tank, the bacteria, and microorganisms in your tank some time to recover, or else you are going to have a tough time ahead (:

However, it is still not wise to leave old, dirty, toxic waste water running in your system. So I recommend small amount of water changes. And with only synthetic salt k! Don't use premixed seawater or saltwater. God knows what's left inside there. ahaha

Anyway, another advice, should your tank run into such a situation again next time, quickly change out the dirty water with NEW premixed synthetic saltwater! Around like 30%. It helps! (:

Good luck!

Arctica Mini Chiller, hmm

I went to check out their website. They claimed that their mini chillers are running on small compressor units, far superior than other mini chillers which run on Peltzier technology. Therefore that should dispel some of my earlier doubts BUT!

Dude, you might want to look into the fan Arctica provides for you. Cause buying a branded chiller is one thing, but knowing how a chiller works is another!

I suspect you have a small fan which's in charge of cooling your radiator. And being small, it may not be capable of drawing sufficient cool air from the surroundings to cool down your radiator. So yup, you might want to look into that (:

Water changes?

Dude, I advise you not to change a BIG volume of water! You can only DO SMALL amounts of water changes. Like maybe 3% or 500ml every 2 days till your whole tank's volume has been completely changed over. Reason is because your tank has just gone through a tough time. So now's the time to give your tank, the bacteria, and microorganisms in your tank some time to recover, or else you are going to have a tough time ahead (:

However, it is still not wise to leave old, dirty, toxic waste water running in your system. So I recommend small amount of water changes. And with only synthetic salt k! Don't use premixed seawater or saltwater. God knows what's left inside there. ahaha

Anyway, another advice, should your tank run into such a situation again next time, quickly change out the dirty water with NEW premixed synthetic saltwater! Around like 30%. It helps! (:

Good luck!

I did suspect that the cooling fan is small ... afterall since everything abt it is mini.. it possible that the fan is a mini too :shock:

I did took ur advice and shifted the chiller out of the cabinet... Hopefully it have a better ventilaltion..

Thts the best thing i can do for now... Cant possibly put an external fan for it... it would be too weird ... fan cooling chiller and chiller cool tank... :lol:

I am still monitering the chiller... still thinking to follow bro raydiative advice to interchnge the chiller hose so to prevent the chiller frequent kick in...

It make sense that the cool water for my setup didnt circulate enough thus causing the chiller to kick in freqeuntly.

My only concern if i do that, will the flow from the return hose frm the chiller to the main tank be strng enough???

Cos frm the pciture bro raydiative is using an additional wavemaker to circulate the flow in the main tank... while currently i only using the return pump for circulation. :eyeblur:

Thanks for the advce on changing water.. will start to gradually change a small amt of water... :)

• SRC Member
Thank You so much for the illustration bro raydiative

Yes i do feel too that my cold water is nt circulating enough tht y it lead to the frequent kick in...

Frm the picture, am i right to say that u are using the same return pump as the chiller pump?

Is the flow strong enough???

Im currently using two pump, one return pump, the other chiller pump...

So hw frequent does ur chiller kick in bro???

Bro,you are also using a hydro nano is it??Good or nt??

Currently using only using the return pump for circulation...

no worries dude

i am using ehiem compact 1000 to act as the return as well as the for the chiller. this will reduce the amount of heat in the tank.

as the recommended flow for my chiller is slightly less then 1000l, i feel the this is sufficient. the flow is decently strong as the return should be at about 700l - 800l

my chiller kicks in every 1.5hrs for 30 - 45 mins.. depends on the weather! haha

yup using the nano by i feel that the flow is not as strong as how i would like it to be.. been using it for the last 1.5 years.. no complaints yet. =]

no worries dude

i am using ehiem compact 1000 to act as the return as well as the for the chiller. this will reduce the amount of heat in the tank.

as the recommended flow for my chiller is slightly less then 1000l, i feel the this is sufficient. the flow is decently strong as the return should be at about 700l - 800l

my chiller kicks in every 1.5hrs for 30 - 45 mins.. depends on the weather! haha

yup using the nano by i feel that the flow is not as strong as how i would like it to be.. been using it for the last 1.5 years.. no complaints yet. =]

i heard ehiem have low wattage too rite..??? Hmm so u not using the stock return pump???

wow totally diffrent frm my chiller kick in time.... I tink its time i do something abt it.. or my chiller controller might be fried again...

Thanks for the info bro.... Anyway im also thinking of the hydro nano cos of its cute size... :paiseh:

As chinesen said a sparrow may be small but had all the organ very nice for a small tank well done :)

Thanks bro... Will update with some pic soon... now still thinking wat to do to solve the chiller problem... cos after raya going overseas, dnt wan to come back with the same problem... :eyeblur:

• SRC Member
i heard ehiem have low wattage too rite..??? Hmm so u not using the stock return pump???

wow totally diffrent frm my chiller kick in time.... I tink its time i do something abt it.. or my chiller controller might be fried again...

Thanks for the info bro.... Anyway im also thinking of the hydro nano cos of its cute size... :paiseh:

haha.. yah.. the wattage is quite low so i am very happy with it... you may like to do a little piping work and try out my suggestion.. will not take much time or create any mess... give it a shot and let me know the results! =]

yeah... think you should get one... will increase the circulation in your tank and your corals and fishes will be happier..

will not cost you much and it so tiny and cute.. hahah

haha.. yah.. the wattage is quite low so i am very happy with it... you may like to do a little piping work and try out my suggestion.. will not take much time or create any mess... give it a shot and let me know the results! =]

yeah... think you should get one... will increase the circulation in your tank and your corals and fishes will be happier..

will not cost you much and it so tiny and cute.. hahah

Yupz gona try ur suggestion only when i gt the hydro nano cos i tink once return pump connect to chiller, circulation nt strng enough

Currently AM jk no stock... Anyone selling their hydro koralia nano?? :bow: