The overweight tank...

osmosis

• SRC Member

yes... thin glass tank is very dangous. Better play safe then sorry. You tank given the time frame it will crack anytime. As salt water has higher pressure then normal water. PLus your current flow make it worst.

Think u r only thinking it's the LR that will make the tank crack. But in fact it's the water pressure that is going to kill the tank.

And then u can start seeing your "time and money" flowing all over your house and your mum will shout that's it no more fish tank in this house anymore.... hehehe

• SRC Member

dont take the risk of using the 3ft tank with 6 mm glass, should be at least 8-10mm. i ahd a really bad exp with this, i uesd to had a 3ft-6mm tank for my FW tank, only used for 2 mths, although it did not exploded, but it become a ballon, the center of the glass pop up, really scary.

wan,Nov 26 2003, 06:47 PM] 2ft confirm no problem 6mm

wat makes u think tat a 2ft 6mm tk got no problem whereas a 3ft 6mm will hav problem?

if the 2 ft 6mm measures 2x1.5x1.5 n the 3ft 6mm measures 3x1.5x1.5, which 1 will carry more stress?

Dun 4get, bigger surface area, lesser pressure.

• SRC Member

wat makes u think tat a 2ft 6mm tk got no problem whereas a 3ft 6mm will hav problem?

if the 2 ft 6mm measures 2x1.5x1.5 n the 3ft 6mm measures 3x1.5x1.5, which 1 will carry more stress?

Dun 4get, bigger surface area, lesser pressure.

Yes, but that is provided that the force is constant. In your comparison between 2 ft and 3 ft, the volume of water is increased. And the pressure is not evenly distributed throughout the tank because the tank is not spherical. There will be high pressure points at the centre of each glass planes. Since these points are further from the supporting edges for a 3 ft tank, it is easier for the tank to succumb to breakage.

The thinnest glass tank I know of is those standard ones from five plan or pentas. I think those are only 3mm. But I never heard of 3 ft tanks with 4 mm thick glass.

I think the sand and LR will put more pressure on the tank rather than the salt water.

Actually I have a bad experience with 2 ft 6mm too. I was too greedy and use a 6 inch DSB and the tank was about to crack (the tank was kind of old anyway). I immediately change the tank and reduce the amount of sand,

Just my 1½ cents worth... :peace:

When it comes to this hobby... never never take risks, especially one as dangerous as this. A shattering tank can land you or your loved ones in hospital.

As PCK says... DUN PRAY PRAY!!!

Yes, but that is provided that the force is constant. In your comparison between 2 ft and 3 ft, the volume of water is increased. And the pressure is not evenly distributed throughout the tank because the tank is not spherical. There will be high pressure points at the centre of each glass planes. Since these points are further from the supporting edges for a 3 ft tank, it is easier for the tank to succumb to breakage.

The thinnest glass tank I know of is those standard ones from five plan or pentas. I think those are only 3mm. But I never heard of 3 ft tanks with 4 mm thick glass.

I think the sand and LR will put more pressure on the tank rather than the salt water.

Actually I have a bad experience with 2 ft 6mm too. I was too greedy and use a 6 inch DSB and the tank was about to crack (the tank was kind of old anyway). I immediately change the tank and reduce the amount of sand,

Just my 1½ cents worth... :peace:

WRT ur 1st statement" but that is provided that the force is constant", may i ask wat will cause the force not to be constant? WRT ur 2nd"the volume of water is increased. And the pressure is not evenly distributed throughout the tank because the tank is not spherical", I will have to say sorry that I only agree partially. WRT ur 3rd"There will be high pressure points at the centre of each glass planes", I'm sorry I have to correct you. If you study thermodynamics, you will learn that pressure is higher at the edges of the tanks.

Not trying to find troubles here, juz some discussions. cheers!

Erm devilfire...tank height is 18 inches. Actual water height is about 18inch-10cm. Quite blur about conversion of inches to cm. :rolleyes:

Fuel, u r really a cocky guy(no hard feelings babe). Initially, u sort of laughed at me( u properly would have forgotten it ) n warned me that my tk will crack. Then, u confidently said that your tk will not crack as the water level is 10cm fr the top of the tk. Now, how could u simply compare your tk n mine w/o knowing my tk specifications?

Next, u seems to be laughing at ai[k2]wan( correct me if I'm wrong ) for having a shallow clam tk. Let's see..... the ht of your tk is 18 inch...minus 10 cm fr the top n minus another 2 inches of DSB( I guess ), u left abt 29 cm of water level. Does that make a lot of difference from ai[k2]wan's tk?

Once again, no hard feelings babe, cheers