Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Hi,

Very fascinating read here.

Can these scrubbers really replace the protein skimmers ? Manufacturers with their normally overpriced skimmers will not be happy.

Why can't the skimmer run at the same time as the scrubber ?

I still feel a less powerful skimmer should be used somewhere else for safety and backup purposes.

Anyone here in SG knows where I can get the above netting ? Or can suggest a better type ?

Definitely no harm to try this out as it is not expensive and may actually work and obsolete the skimmer.

It may also obsolete the RDSB too if their aim is to reduce nitrates !

Is there any negatives when one deploy the scrubbers ? Does it reduce any needed nutrients from the water ?

Does the scrubber cools down the water by evaporative cooling and how much (1 to 2 degrees) ? Good area to research as it will lower the chiller's bill.

:rolleyes::upsidedown:

You can get the mesh from any hardware shop or any DIY shop.

SM may i ask if the screen that i have done using a sturdy mesh as support followed by a smaller mesh to catch the algae growth is a good idea?

• SRC Member

Eniram: Pull the light back to about 4", or you will burn the middle. Your screen should be fine.

Cat: See the FAQ for these answers:

http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewto...hp?f=9&t=68

Hi,

Very fascinating read here.

(1) Can these scrubbers really replace the protein skimmers ? Manufacturers with their normally overpriced skimmers will not be happy.

Why can't the skimmer run at the same time as the scrubber ?

I still feel a less powerful skimmer should be used somewhere else for safety and backup purposes.

Anyone here in SG knows where I can get the above netting ? Or can suggest a better type ?

Definitely no harm to try this out as it is not expensive and may actually work and obsolete the skimmer.

(2) It may also obsolete the RDSB too if their aim is to reduce nitrates !

(3) Is there any negatives when one deploy the scrubbers ? Does it reduce any needed nutrients from the water ?

(4) Does the scrubber cools down the water by evaporative cooling and how much (1 to 2 degrees) ? Good area to research as it will lower the chiller's bill.

:rolleyes::upsidedown:

Hi SM,

Can you amswer questions (1) , (2), (3) & (4) ?

THANKS !

:rolleyes:

You can get the mesh from any hardware shop or any DIY shop.

SM may i ask if the screen that i have done using a sturdy mesh as support followed by a smaller mesh to catch the algae growth is a good idea?

I am trying to get the exactly same mesh shown in the picture. I saw other type of mesh.

Can you tell me where ?

Thanks !

B)

I am trying to get the exactly same mesh shown in the picture. I saw other type of mesh.

Can you tell me where ?

Thanks !

B)

I got my at selffix shop. So i believe you can get it from any DIY or hardware shop

Er........ Sgreef moderators may i ask why this TOPIC has been shifted to the FORUM TOPIC? I think it should be left in its original section of the IMPORTANT TOPIC.

Reason being that when new reefers who view this "The Main Forum" they can view it straight away rather then when reefers post or reply a topic then the topic will go all the up to the 1st post.

Just my opinion. :whistle

Yo bro, this timer setting is through out the entire life-cycle of the scrubber. Having 24hrs light on will not expedite the growth of algae. Ref to SM note.

Perhaps I can share my experience with you. Before that my NO3 was always at least 100 and tank was full of hairy algae no matter how you often clean it (my tank is near to the windows). The first 1-2 month, you will not see much results, but only anxieties. On the 3rd month, you will notice lots of PODs and lost sight of hairy algae, NO3 is at 12.5 with more LS. You might get a different result and time-line depending on your setup and environment. Lesson that I learned was

1/ Discontinue of skimmer and other agents.

2/ Double up the screen from 1 to 3.

3/ Extend the lighting hours from 10 to 14hrs.

4/ Double up the light from 1 to 2 becos of multi screens. Changed from daylight to warm white.

GB.

Hi,

Do you experience a drop in water temperature due to evaporative cooling from the algae scrubber operation ?

If yes, how much did it drop ? It will help in the chiller's electrical bill.

Thanks !

• SRC Member

No it's easy. For now just cut the screen in half from top to bottom, and then use tape to go around and around the rest of the pipe to seal it. Or just use some reef epoxy to seal it.

Later, you can just make a new shorter pipe.

• SRC Supporter
Er........ Sgreef moderators may i ask why this TOPIC has been shifted to the FORUM TOPIC? I think it should be left in its original section of the IMPORTANT TOPIC.

Reason being that when new reefers who view this "The Main Forum" they can view it straight away rather then when reefers post or reply a topic then the topic will go all the up to the 1st post.

Just my opinion. :whistle

Hi Eniram,

as this method is quite subjective to individuals, it is not suitable to be pin up there.

Thanks

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Hi,

Do you experience a drop in water temperature due to evaporative cooling from the algae scrubber operation ?

If yes, how much did it drop ? It will help in the chiller's electrical bill.

Thanks !

bro, temperature range from 27-30C and am not running chiller. Only 1 AC fan run at certain time. My tank is a FWOLR and some LPS.

GB.

• SRC Member
Hi Eniram,

as this method is quite subjective to individuals, it is not suitable to be pin up there.

Thanks

l hope it's not because of protests from branded protein skimmers' manufacturers, distributors and retailers...or even supporters. Pinning up there under "IMPORTANT TOPIC" doesn't mean SRC fully supports algae scrubber and not protein skimmers. It's just an important info that reefers should know, esp newbies where they think or been told that protein skimmers is a die die must have equipment from what l read in the various threads.

Anyway, it's just an alternative choice for reefers. A cheaper and prob just as effective alternative to good protein skimmers which may not be affordable to all. Whether to subscribe to which method is entirely up to individual reefer.

• Senior Reefer
l hope it's not because of protests from branded protein skimmers' manufacturers, distributors and retailers...or even supporters. Pinning up there under "IMPORTANT TOPIC" doesn't mean SRC fully supports algae scrubber and not protein skimmers. It's just an important info that reefers should know, esp newbies where they think or been told that protein skimmers is a die die must have equipment from what l read in the various threads.

Anyway, it's just an alternative choice for reefers. A cheaper and prob just as effective alternative to good protein skimmers which may not be affordable to all. Whether to subscribe to which method is entirely up to individual reefer.

this is true. many believe that skimmer and scrubber are equally as important, or worse, the same. whilst a skimmer remove hydrophobic molecules such as fats, oils, proteins BEFORE they break down, a scrubber removes the nutrients that are generated AFTER these compounds have degraded, into NO3, PO4 and wat not.

this is from my understanding on the issue. in my opinion a skimmer and a scrubber will work hand in hand to give very good nutrient control. one for removing stuff before degration, and the other for absorbing it once they have degraded.

this is of course, to my understanding of the scrubber and skimmer. everyone has their own opinion and is best to read up and list your options. that is why we decided to unpin this topic.

this is true. many believe that skimmer and scrubber are equally as important, or worse, the same. whilst a skimmer remove hydrophobic molecules such as fats, oils, proteins BEFORE they break down, a scrubber removes the nutrients that are generated AFTER these compounds have degraded, into NO3, PO4 and wat not.

this is from my understanding on the issue. in my opinion a skimmer and a scrubber will work hand in hand to give very good nutrient control. one for removing stuff before degration, and the other for absorbing it once they have degraded.

this is of course, to my understanding of the scrubber and skimmer. everyone has their own opinion and is best to read up and list your options. that is why we decided to unpin this topic.

bro well to say. Neither scrubber or skimmer can be replace one and other. They are distinct just like father and mother. You will get the best results if run both. GB.

• SRC Supporter

Hi Underwater,

hope you are satisfied with our mod lemonlemon's reply to your question.

There is no protest or complains made at all.

Thanks.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

bro well to say. Neither scrubber or skimmer can be replace one and other. They are distinct just like father and mother. You will get the best results if run both. GB.

Are you running both? If you are hows the outcome of your NO3 has it been reduced alot?

• SRC Member
whilst a skimmer remove hydrophobic molecules such as fats, oils, proteins BEFORE they break down

Yes but keep in mind that these things are called "food", and they would have fed the corals had they not been removed. Another way of removing food, is to feed less.

in my opinion a skimmer and a scrubber will work hand in hand to give very good nutrient control

Yes, same as running a scrubber along with feeding less. Except that feeding less costs less in food, and less in skimmer.

Neither scrubber or skimmer can be replace one and other. They are distinct just like father and mother. You will get the best results if run both.

Correct, they cannot replace each other any more than a can-opener can replace a submarine. The only similarity between a can-opener and a submarine is that they both touch liquids. A scrubber removes Inorganic Nitrate and Inorganic Phosphate (mainly), and these are the things that cause nuisance algae to grow. A skimmer removes food ("protein", i.e., food). I still think, however, it's cheaper to spend less money on food, then to spend more money on food, and then still more money on a skimmer to remove the food. [Exception: A large fish-only tank that does not need or care about small food particles floating in the water.]

I believe that it will be good to have both the protein skimmer and scrubber runing together.. Cos you will never know / see what are the particles inside the water with our naked eyes, having a skimmer is always good as a backup to remove those wastes ect..

Another good way is to have the skimmer setted up running in conjunction with the scurbber with timer which the skimmer switch off when the light for the scubber is on so that the "foods" will not be clean away and when the light for the scubber is " Off" ,you can then power back the skimmer again to remove those unseem waste which maybe present in the water.

I myself have been started runing the algae scrubber for about a month now, and i am amaze by the result of my NO3 dropping !!

Apprecaite bro SM for sharing this interesting concept with all of the reefer here, and i believe many reefer have already benefit from it .. :rolleyes:

• SRC Supporter

the scrubber is actually another chaeto method which infact, incur more cost due to the diy stuffs.

so if we are talking about $ involve, a chaeto is much cheaper to scrubber and skimmer.

in moden reefing, we all purchase and look for equipments. the more high tech the bettter. why? due to automation.

but if we need to harvest the scrubber in due time. if not pods eats the algae or wateve reason and may cause tank crash due to po4 or no3 or both going back to the tank, then i see no point. its like another WC method.

Water change maybe more troublesome then cleaning the scrubber, however.. it also replenishes the trace elements that maybe missing that a scrubber cant provide. in that way, we save more $ on additives.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
the scrubber is actually another chaeto method which infact, incur more cost due to the diy stuffs.

so if we are talking about $ involve, a chaeto is much cheaper to scrubber and skimmer.

in moden reefing, we all purchase and look for equipments. the more high tech the bettter. why? due to automation.

but if we need to harvest the scrubber in due time. if not pods eats the algae or wateve reason and may cause tank crash due to po4 or no3 or both going back to the tank, then i see no point. its like another WC method.

Water change maybe more troublesome then cleaning the scrubber, however.. it also replenishes the trace elements that maybe missing that a scrubber cant provide. in that way, we save more $ on additives.

But can chaeto remove the amount of NO3 and PO4 as much and as fast as a scrubber? And how much chaeto is needed to do the job? l am not sure about that though. And the part on "the more high tech the better", this is really subjective IMO. Expensive high tech gadgets are good to have, but they are not a must to have. And for scrubber, the cost of DIY pipe and screen are really marginal.