Mantis shrimp

bros n sis, i think i haf mantis shrimp....can hear the click click sound at times...ne ways/suggestions to trap tis bugger? :evil:

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

Could also be pistol shrimps....

ya..i haf 1 new pistol shrimp n 1 mia pistol shrimp...tats wat i tot so...until the night b4 i saw a centipede-look-alike wif 2 big claws on my glass panel...it was ard 2cm...i saw it when i switched on the rm light...the moment i take a closer look at it, it dissapears into one of my LR...took out tat piece of LR n throw it into a bowl of hot boiling water, but it never came out...in the end, i threw the whole piece away, tinkin tat it is still hiding inside...but last nite, i heard tat click click sound again...might be the wrong LR that i have thrown away...

haiz... :cry2:

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

ya..i haf 1 new pistol shrimp n 1 mia pistol shrimp...tats wat i tot so...until the night b4 i saw a centipede-look-alike wif 2 big claws on my glass panel...it was ard 2cm...i saw it when i switched on the rm light...the moment i take a closer look at it, it dissapears into one of my LR...took out tat piece of LR n throw it into a bowl of hot boiling water, but it never came out...in the end, i threw the whole piece away, tinkin tat it is still hiding inside...but last nite, i heard tat click click sound again...might be the wrong LR that i have thrown away...

haiz... :cry2:

Patience. Try not to get expensive fish for start. Then feed as slightly more than normal to make the guy grow faster, bigger, then he will be easier to spot, catch and then slaughter. Well that's what I did.

Patience. Try not to get expensive fish for start. Then feed as slightly more than normal to make the guy grow faster, bigger, then he will be easier to spot, catch and then slaughter. Well that's what I did.

i juz caught it n cook it alive...in the process, i oso cook 1 of my MIA pistol shrimp alive...i spotted the hideout of the mantis, took out the whole piece of live rock and 'cook' it under hot boiling water....sob sob :cry2:

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

wah, how do u get the mantis shrimp in the LR? it happen randomly?

got any photos of the cooked manti shrimp? haa~

it came 2gether in the LR when i bought the LR...so suay...haha dun haf pic leh...too gross and smelly le haha i juz threw the whole pc of LR away :sick:

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member
i juz caught it n cook it alive...in the process, i oso cook 1 of my MIA pistol shrimp alive...i spotted the hideout of the mantis, took out the whole piece of live rock and 'cook' it under hot boiling water....sob sob :cry2:

Too rash already la bro....liverock is very porous, use a screwdriver or any small metal rod and you will be able to dig out that fellow out by opening up it's hidding place. You put LR in boiling water and is gone. Sorry to hear abt the loss of yr pistol.

Too rash already la bro....liverock is very porous, use a screwdriver or any small metal rod and you will be able to dig out that fellow out by opening up it's hidding place. You put LR in boiling water and is gone. Sorry to hear abt the loss of yr pistol.

i've already tried to use screwdriver and metal rod before already...left it out in the open...even throw the whole rock into a pail of freshwater...but tat bugger simply too stubborn to come out lor...haiz...in the end....my frustration gt the beta of me...not only i wasted my pistol, i also wasted a big piece of LR encrusted full of coraline...at the same time, i oso saw some worms that are black in color, but wif blue luminous strips on them...wonder wat dey r

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

I also have a 5cm long purplish black mantis lurking in my tank. I would happily give up the coraline encrusted rock + pistol shrimp + some worms just to cook it with some butter. It has already taken out 2 randall gobies, 1 watchman goby, 1 pearly jawfish. This is killing me.

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

hmm, toking abt mantis shrimp, i haven seen my 3-4cm algae blenny for quite some time, is it taken dwn by a mantis shrimp too?

btw are they able to take dwn clowns too?

i read that mantis shrimps are able to take down smaller fishes bt im not too sure...maybe some experienced bros and sis can advise us?

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

try hyperdipping, i.e. raise your salinity to 1.04 or higher? another school of thoughts in getting mantis out of LR. not sure wat impact will be done to the LR though.

other night, heard a clicking sound from my tank. got a shock! will be doing a stakeout one of these nights. maybe tonight is good idea, got champions league to keep me company!

try hyperdipping, i.e. raise your salinity to 1.04 or higher? another school of thoughts in getting mantis out of LR. not sure wat impact will be done to the LR though.

other night, heard a clicking sound from my tank. got a shock! will be doing a stakeout one of these nights. maybe tonight is good idea, got champions league to keep me company!

haha so u gonna tahan all the way till the match start?

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

Lat time i heard clicking sounds in my LR then after hypersalinity treatement(last time is just FOWLR so nothing is lost and all of the fishes are hardy fishes) so after that no more clicking.But it's risky business cause loads of algae will grow too.

girlone.png