Firestarter's 2ft Standard tank

Firestarter

• SRC Member
Bro,

You might have microbubble issue and is there any partition in the IOS?

No, I dont not plan to have any partition in the IOS. Please advise on any flaws you see in the design. Which part do you think will have a microbubble problem? :thanks:

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I dont not plan to have any partition in the IOS. Please advise on any flaws you see in the design. Which part do you think will have a microbubble problem? :thanks:

When the skimmer ouput, although the sponge had stop the huge bubble but there is still fine bubble produce by the skimmer and with the M820 return rate there will bond to have fine bubble returning to the main tank.

Unless u partition and add a piece of corse black sponge the fine bubble will be stop further and less fine bubble will be returning to the main tank.

Note u r using the width therefore is shorter and the "turn over" will sure be shorter.

Just my 2 cent.

• SRC Member

interesting design... just a suggestion on the seio, the rubber suckers are not v good and in time it'll not be able to hold it in place.. so u might wanna do a hang on or use a magnet to hold it there

why not put the seio all the way below... since it is a bare bottom tank, u won't get sand storm and u'll get good water circulation and blow all the shit up into the overflow. hehh

• SRC Member
When the skimmer ouput, although the sponge had stop the huge bubble but there is still fine bubble produce by the skimmer and with the M820 return rate there will bond to have fine bubble returning to the main tank.

Unless u partition and add a piece of corse black sponge the fine bubble will be stop further and less fine bubble will be returning to the main tank.

Note u r using the width therefore is shorter and the "turn over" will sure be shorter.

Just my 2 cent.

Yes you are right! I was quite worried that the skimmer sponge would not be able to dissipate all the air properly, and some of the air will be sucked in by the seio. Guess I will have to do some adjustments to the design. Argh. Thanks for the valuable feedback! Much appreciated. Will post the new design again for your opinion.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member
Last time i use the skimmer return as a return. My old IOS tank. Save one pump.

I dunno seio will suck air anot, with that hieght. :)

Hi Ah lim, do you mean that the seio will suck the air from the water surface? Hmm another point to consider. Good thing posted pictures to show that my design is not perfect. Will have to redesign again. :whistle

• SRC Member
interesting design... just a suggestion on the seio, the rubber suckers are not v good and in time it'll not be able to hold it in place.. so u might wanna do a hang on or use a magnet to hold it there

why not put the seio all the way below... since it is a bare bottom tank, u won't get sand storm and u'll get good water circulation and blow all the shit up into the overflow. hehh

The seio will not only be supported by the rubber suckers, but with the help of the acrylic as well. I plan to stick the 'nose' of the seio so that about 1cm of it will be supporting by the hole in the acrylic.

Do you think it would be better to place the seio at the bottom? Because I'm afraid that I might place corals at the bottom in the future. :erm:

Thanks all for your comments. :)

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

Jus a suggestion instead of using the width why not u used the length for the ios? Have a look on the drawing I had attached.

Hi tanks51, I would like to use the length of the IOS, but unfortunately the width of my tank is only 1ft, and it'll make the main tank really narrow.

I'll just have to redesign my IOS. I already have something in mind. :eyebrow: Will update again.

• SRC Member
Hi tanks51, I would like to use the length of the IOS, but unfortunately the width of my tank is only 1ft, and it'll make the main tank really narrow.

I'll just have to redesign my IOS. I already have something in mind. :eyebrow: Will update again.

Hi Firestarter,

I'm also running an internal IOS 2 footer tank & I feel that the size is too restrictive for types of LS one can keep & equipment the IOS can accommodate. Will definitely want to upgrade to a bigger tank when there's a chance. U'd probably want to think thru if the effort & $ against how long U intend this setup to last.

Below is my humble 2 footer.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...8868&st=100

Cheers

• SRC Member

Hey bro, nice to see you starting your own tank thread!

I'm with tunicate on this though... IOS definitely has its limitations. I'm already planning for a sump tank. The good thing is added water volume and keeping all the equipment tidy and hidden. Looking forward to your tank updates! ^_^

• SRC Member
Hi Firestarter,

I'm also running an internal IOS 2 footer tank & I feel that the size is too restrictive for types of LS one can keep & equipment the IOS can accommodate. Will definitely want to upgrade to a bigger tank when there's a chance. U'd probably want to think thru if the effort & $ against how long U intend this setup to last.

Below is my humble 2 footer.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...8868&st=100

Cheers

Hi tunicate, first of all I must say you have a nice tank! I do agree with you that size is really restrictive especially the space for equipment. I've kept a 3ft tank before with a huge sump, so I know how the feeling is like having to 'shrink' to such a size. I want this tank to be really simple with minimal use of equipment, and keep any hassle low along the way. Space constraint is really the problem here, hence the size.

• SRC Member
Hey bro, nice to see you starting your own tank thread!

I'm with tunicate on this though... IOS definitely has its limitations. I'm already planning for a sump tank. The good thing is added water volume and keeping all the equipment tidy and hidden. Looking forward to your tank updates! ^_^

Haha peacemaker! Really like your tank. I was wondering what other kinds of equipment you use to require a sump. Do update your thread too. :)

• SRC Member

Removed the skimmer sponge, and attached a plastic hose to the end so that the skimmer output will flow directly into the PVC pipe. Any bubbles will dissipate to the top, and the water will flow out from the bottom. Have yet to drill holes in the PVC though. Hopefully it'll work, and prevent my seio from sucking any bubbles in.

post-13947-1227256797.jpg

• SRC Member

Made more readjustments to the IOS design. The overflow will now be the total width of the IOS, instead of just one side. This is help to remove any detritus effectively and quickly. Cut out some eggcrate so that filter floss can be placed on top.

post-13947-1227256964.jpg