• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Roidan bro the only thing bigger than your tank is your posts. hahaha

Great looking tank. I must drop by to visit you one day.

By the way, one way to reduce phosphate in the water is to dose Kalk with your top up. Ala my TUBBY with KALKREACTOR combo. hehehe

My phosphates are zero. They precipitate due to constant kalk dosing of reefez kalk.

I never use any rhowaphos although I do have a pack to standby in case of emergencies. But I find dosing kalk is still cheaper than using rhowa.

I dun have diatom or cyano problems.

Cookie, sorry to burst your bubble but kalk will precipate phosphates at levels FAR slower than good ol' iron oxide-based phosphate removers like Rowaphos or Contraphos and the not-as-good aluminium oxide-based removers like Seachem's phosguard.

Roidan bro the only thing bigger than your tank is your posts. hahaha

Great looking tank. I must drop by to visit you one day.

By the way, one way to reduce phosphate in the water is to dose Kalk with your top up. Ala my TUBBY with KALKREACTOR combo. hehehe

My phosphates are zero. They precipitate due to constant kalk dosing of reefez kalk.

I never use any rhowaphos although I do have a pack to standby in case of emergencies. But I find dosing kalk is still cheaper than using rhowa.

I dun have diatom or cyano problems.

hehe....

yeah..i read before about the phosphate precipitation when adding kalkwasser....but then..unless we encourage alot of evaporation, the amount of kalkwasser top up we use may not be able to remove the phosphates that we add in through our food....

especially when i feed very heavily, definitely need some iron oxide stuff to remove it.....but the kalkwasser top up may help in a way also....at least help the iron oxide last longer...

kalkwasser is definitely less expensive...hehe

Cookie, sorry to burst your bubble but kalk will precipate phosphates at levels FAR slower than good ol' iron oxide-based phosphate removers like Rowaphos or Contraphos and the not-as-good aluminium oxide-based removers like Seachem's phosguard.

agree with you bro AT,

maybe cookie did not introduce alot of phosphates via food or top up water thus the amount of kalkwasser he added was just enough to precipitate out the phosphates in his tank....or maybe his macroalgae?

his top up water is using kalkwasser which probably already precipitated all the phosphates in there....and then if he happen to feed with not so much phosphate laden food, then it probably worked for him

agree also tat aluminium oxide is not as good as iron oxide....i used to buy seachem phosguard...but after reading the possible aluminium leaching in regular/long term use, i scared liao..hehe

• SRC Member
ID of the stringy algae....some really rare name...

http://www.algaebase.org/SpeciesDetail.lasso?-KeyValue=39610

i believe it is this one.....unless i ID wrong again...hehe

but bro maxima also told me that it's not hair algae....

one thing i noticed this algae is tat it likes to clump togehter with my sea lettuce and gracilia.....but it never turn asexual before and did not see traces of it in my main tank before...

but watever the case, still good to clean up the refugium once in a while :)

Origin of species name

Adjective (Latin), having tufts of long weak hairs (Stearn 1973).

Common names used in commerce, often for edible algae

hige-ao-nori {Jap}

wah...maybe they migrate to main tank i also dunno...the tangs keep pecking at rocks also..maybe eating these...but either way....this is edible algae according to the site :blink:

but no way i am going to try :lol:

ROidan, I've told you to sell this algae, it will fetch a good price. It is prizeless in RC. This lage grow god damn fast and don't turn asexual. It is very popular in RC, go chk out at GARF.....or....... can't remember the website. There's a name starting with "S" for this algae.

I'll draw a commission for every batch you sell :unsure:B):blink::D

Thanks myslef :rolleyes::D

Max

haha...

aiyo..then i must have thrown a fortune away liao.....

never mind....heng still got some in the refugium..isolated strands...

when the 150W MH is here...wohoho.....mai tu liao....

since it's so uncommon in here...i'll give it a local name...

*The hair with split ends and unmanageable curls* algae....hahahaha

maybe use p@ntene can make it straighter and more manageable...LOL :lol:

• SRC Member
he want to get 1hp cause he is planning to go for 2 or 3 x 400w MH...

1/2hp confirm out of question for him one..

Aiyo.... you 2 have been talking behind my back hor!! ke ke ke.....

Me jus thinking of upgrading only have. have a few buyers for the teco but havnt decide what chiller to get. 1HP Teco is out coz too ex liao... Still have to get a good skimmer (either real wan or DIY), the 400 lights etc...

So maybe might stick to the Teco680 and jus use 250watt MH. Anyway so far so good. my water is maintained at 26.1 - 27.1. turns on (MH on) for 2+hrs with an ambient temp of 28deg and about 3hrs when temp is bout 29-30. Then stop for around 2hrs before it starts again. Run less ate night.

Thinking of adding a fan to blow at the MH and put it on timer together with the MH so when MH on, will have a fan to cools down the lights. And wan to place the skimmer, chiller pump externally. to lesser the run time. Will relocate the chiller to the left side of the tank near the window. Dont like the exhuast to blow at me when I sit in front of the tank!!

• SRC Member

lolz.. now then u realise huh... a bit late leh...

why dont use your current external return plump to connect to the chiller..

e.g. return pump take water from sump and then pump to chiller and the return water from chiller will be connect to the return pipe of the tank thus reduce additional pump required for the chiller

The last time i checked, the teco 1hp is 3k+ leh. can buy 2 RR!! Maybe can get a 2nd hand 680 and run 2 together!! got backup some more!! In case one down still got one!! ke ke :P

bro tanggy...your idea quite unique...

any bros here got opinions on running 2 chillers?

i am already running 2 skimmers....running 2 identical chillers may not be too impossible also..hehehe

wow sei, running two chiller together? The temp controller also draw power too :P

temp controller? the thermostat u mean? should be quite low wattage right? not too sure...but the 2 chiller can really back up each other...one bring to service..the other can work abit harder....

even on normal usage....each chiller work less long because more water got processed faster

temp controller? the thermostat u mean? should be quite low wattage right? not too sure...but the 2 chiller can really back up each other...one bring to service..the other can work abit harder....

even on normal usage....each chiller work less long because more water got processed faster

Yes the thermostat, nowadays every bit of watts counts you see :)

You wanna be the first person to test out using 2 chiller? I think it should work quite well lei. What's the disadvantage of this double chiller? If one breaks down you still have the other running.

disadvantage is that maybe not as efficient lor..

but then again...if got 2 chillers...means that the water drawn into the chilling system (2 chillers) is more than the single larger HP chiller....

coz i dun really see those 1HP chillers drawing water into it at twice the rate of the 1/2HP chillers right? just that they cool the same amount of water into the chiller much faster than the 1/2 hp ones...

hmmm..idea idea...

• SRC Member

hmm yes the 1hp cool faster for the water draw in...

as the disadv is that u waste more electric due to using more pump.

also u might encounter problem like the drawing in of water one cool and one not.. or on and off.. so the chiller might end up like crazy switching on and off..

lastly u wont know which one run out of gas or spoil if it still perform as if like normal but no longer that cold.. u cant tell unless u go touch or measure the water temp on the output of each chiller..

and that waste electric and also let your chiller spoil faster or work harder...