snail shit alot!!!

dorbe

Hi,

Bought about 5 snail over the weekend coz i have lots of algae on the side of my tank.

after putting them in...they did their job and i was happy abt it. however i notice that my sand bed is full of their shit. :angry::angry:

question:

how do i clear them (shit ) away?

will the shit pollute the tank?

Thanks

Dorbe

• SRC Member

:P one problem lead to another...fish shit>snail shit>?

use a sand cleaner lor i suggest...i got only one snail...maybe i can't notice too much shit

alternatively, disturb your sand bed and let the filter do their job...be it a overflow filter or canister filter... :)

• SRC Member
how do i clear them (shit ) away?

will the shit pollute the tank?

all shit will pollute the tank.. shit= ammonia...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

You can try increasing the circulation to suspend the shit so the filters can pick it up. In my tank, the spaghetti worms love snail shit. It takes 10 seconds after the snail poops its load before the shit gets picked up by the tentacles of the worm. The snail shit will contribute to nitrate if left to rot but it will become good sand bed fauna food too.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Nutrition for those animals living in the sand.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

what does snail shit look like? i dun see it. but i see snails shoot out milky substance every so often. this comes from the vent just next to the eyes- the vent looks like the outlet gill of a octopus. But i did see where the tang's poo went.....straight into the belly of the cleaner shrimp.