Tube worm / keel worm

spleep

Can anybody please help? I have an infestation of keel worms which are like feather duster worms with a white random tube in which they retract! They are all over my live rock and small offspring on glass and equipment! Anybody know how to get rid of them? They are about 1mm in diameter and about 3-4cm long!

:thanks:

• Senior Reefer
Can anybody please help? I have an infestation of keel worms which are like feather duster worms with a white random tube in which they retract! They are all over my live rock and small offspring on glass and equipment! Anybody know how to get rid of them? They are about 1mm in diameter and about 3-4cm long!

:thanks:

I dont think they are harmful, but if you find them unsightly and want to get rid of them, i suggest adding a fish to get rid of them. Copperband butterflies are the best to get rid of tubeworms, but they are abit hard to look after. U might want to try it though... Otherwise, u could get a six line wrasse. They do get a little aggresive when they are older.

• Senior Reefer
Thanks for the suggestion, but I only have a 15gal Nano and 6 line wrasse are very difficult to obtain in uk! Is there a manual or chemical solution to the problem? :paiseh:

Er... hmm. u can soak ur whole tank in freshwater. it will kill EVERYTHING in ur tank along with those worms.... that the only suggestion i can think of at the moment... this includes killing all the beneficial bacteria in ur live rock...

• SRC Member
Er... hmm. u can soak ur whole tank in freshwater. it will kill EVERYTHING in ur tank along with those worms.... that the only suggestion i can think of at the moment... this includes killing all the beneficial bacteria in ur live rock...

That's the most stupid suggestion I've ever heard. Sorry but I'm being really frank. I hope nobody got mislead into doing that.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Senior Reefer
That's the most stupid suggestion I've ever heard. Sorry but I'm being really frank. I hope nobody got mislead into doing that.

Yea it is stupid..... But it does remove ALL the worms. Beneficial bacteria will die also, but not ALL will die. soak the things in freshwater for a short time, just enough to kill all the things. The bacteria deep inside the rock should be safe for awhile. They will multiply and re-grow one anyways..... Im not saying completely immerse EVERYTHING in freshwater for an extended period of time. Maybe for 1-2 minutes. I dont think its that bad.

• SRC Member
Yea it is stupid..... But it does remove ALL the worms. Beneficial bacteria will die also, but not ALL will die. soak the things in freshwater for a short time, just enough to kill all the things. The bacteria deep inside the rock should be safe for awhile. They will multiply and re-grow one anyways..... Im not saying completely immerse EVERYTHING in freshwater for an extended period of time. Maybe for 1-2 minutes. I dont think its that bad.

I think the bacteria would die off before the worms in 1-2 minutes.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Senior Reefer
I think the bacteria would die off before the worms in 1-2 minutes.

bacteria can grow again mah. can add beneficial microbes to help kick up the bacteria multiplying. But then again, the best solution is to put somethign to eat them la