How to get rid of high nitrate

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Hi, allow me to addon on DSB / LR / Berlin System / Penum System & so called NNR. You may refer to this website www.wetwebmedia.com

by Robert Fenner. Personally, I felt that this is a gd website where plenty of information can be gained and also a better understanding on the chemistry on the cycle. :D

Good web site....thanks for sharing. ;)

• SRC Member

There is a nitrate remover in pellets form that you're supposed to bury in your Gravel. It's by TETRA ( the company) otherwise get some maiden hair algae in your tank Looks good does the job. If you're using coral chips and/or bio balls, get rid of them. They're nitrate factories

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
no doubt bioballs/wetdryfilter are nitrate factories due to over efficiency in coverting ammonia and nitrates. after a period of usage, ammonia and nitrite readings usually maintain at zero, however nitrate readings will frequently hit the high-end unless given frequent water changes. at this point, one should remove the bio-balls, but only a small amount at a time so as to allow bacteria to repopulate and not upset ammonia/nitrite conversion capability. after removing all the bio-ball stuffs, nitrate should decrease.

how and where would bacteria populate when the bio-balls are removed, even slowly..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/