vitamin C

ambystoma82

abt the bioflavoids in gnc bottles..

doesnt say much abt for corals effect lolx..

Vitamin P - bioflavonoids - information page

Bioflavonoids also called Vitamin P are not strictly speaking a vitamin, but for easy classification, we are listing it as a vitamin. The term bioflavonoids refer to many different ingredients and include hesperin, hesperidin, eriodictyol, quercetin, quercetin, rutin etc. This nutrient can not be manufactured by the body and must be supplied in the diet.

Bioflavanoids are found with vitamin C in foods and also work along it, but unfortunately vitamin P is destroyed by exposure to air or by boiling.

Vitamin P - bioflavonoids - are required for

Vitamin P, bioflavanoids are also required by the body to aid in resistance to infection and to prevent oxidation of vitamin C within the body. Bioflavonoids are effectively used in the treatment of sport injuries as they are pain relieving. They may also be used in relieving pain in the legs, across the back and can lessen the symptoms of prolonged bleeding, a low serum calcium as well as ###### herpes.

Bioflavonoids may also be active in preserving the structures of capillaries, have an antibacterial effect and promote circulation. They may be indicated in the production of bile, lowering blood cholesterol levels and in the prevention and treatment of cataracts.

Bioflavonoids are thought to enhance the absorption of Vitamin C, and possibly to prolong the effectiveness of it as well. These are super active substances, and can add a great deal to your nutritional needs in health and disease.

This nutrient acts together with Vitamin C to help maintain the thin walls of the capillaries, therefore preventing bleeding or bruising. Bioflavonoids have been linked to having an antibacterial effect, stimulating bile production, promoting circulation and even assisting with fighting allergies, asthma etc.

more to be read at this link... :thanks:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Vitamin_P_Bioflavoniods_-_Hubpages

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I started the vitamin C yesterday, hoping to get better growth and colours for my zoas which are not doing well, looking pale. Very skeptical at first, but since I'm gonna decom my current tank soon, I thought "just whack lah, anything go wrong can start all over in the new tank" :lol:

Started by introducing a small amount, about 1/2 teaspoon, of vitamin C into the IOS compartment of my nanocube, 2 or 3 hours later, i was HORRIFIED to see 2 polyps of my eagle eye from the Irwana US zoa shipment produce a thick black goo from the mouth. It is not the usual brown strands of zooxanthellae, but thick black blobs. The few hours that follows, more polyps vomited the same black stuff.

THEN.....

At night, just before the lights went out, I checked on the zoas, and despite a couple of polyps still vomiting, the rest of them suddenly bloomed with at least 100% better colours than they were in the afternoon before the vitamin C!

I will get some "after" photos to back up my claims tonight or tomorrow, but here's the "before" photo taken 2 weeks ago:

post-15730-1235364039.jpg

The green skirts were faded and the pink centre looked "dirty", and a few polyps were closed or dropped off due to zoa pox. The colour of the zoas last night was bright green on skirt with bright pink centre, all polyps opening evenly. I didn't change water since that photo was taken and water parameters were similar, except that it was pouring yesterday afternoon and the temperature dipped sharply. The vitamin C and miracle cure for colours could be a coincidence, but still, the simplest explanation is the best explanation for me :)

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Since this is the Vit C thread, should have the dosage table:

1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC

10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC

15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC

20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC

25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC

30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

Dose 2x/day.

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member
Since this is the Vit C thread, should have the dosage table:

1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm ----- 1892 mg VC

10 ppm ---- 3785 mg VC

15 ppm ---- 5677 mg VC

20 ppm ---- 7570 mg VC

25 ppm ---- 9462 mg VC

30 ppm ---- 11355 mg VC

Dose 2x/day.

According to the numbers in your table, I must have severely OD-ed! Hahaha. But still, everything has been normal so far. Maybe will dose another pinch of vitamin c in a day or two.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
According to the numbers in your table, I must have severely OD-ed! Hahaha. But still, everything has been normal so far. Maybe will dose another pinch of vitamin c in a day or two.

Pulled the numbers from RC's vit C thread.

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member
is drip recommended?

er.r.

i tink i also dose e same as u all but i 4get my tank is only 33gallons e thrend one is 100 gallons.. -__-!!

zoas poo is gd.. means got go in n come out lolx..

Yah I guess it was detoxing itself. But it's really unbelievable how fast it reacted and how it suddenly colours-up to a level I've not seen for the last 5 weeks, all within one day. Not complaining though. Will continue dosing it to see how the rest turn out.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

Yah I guess it was detoxing itself. But it's really unbelievable how fast it reacted and how it suddenly colours-up to a level I've not seen for the last 5 weeks, all within one day. Not complaining though. Will continue dosing it to see how the rest turn out.

ur zoas must b damn lack of nutrition lahz.. lolx..

hw come nv c u post ur tank pics u so fast decomm ?

• SRC Member
ur zoas must b damn lack of nutrition lahz.. lolx..

hw come nv c u post ur tank pics u so fast decomm ?

Backside itchy, so I bought a bigger nanocube lor hahaha! Was using a 12 gallon at home, bought a 24 gallon recently :D

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

wat brand/type of vit c can be used? im tinkin of experimenting oso...ne recommendation?

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

i using e one bro binosage using also..

sis ming also using..

=)

eh n tat is?

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member
This one :)

hi sis ming, mind telling me where to get and how much?

i'm dosing magnesium ascorbate powder now... concentration according to the nutrition table is lower... 1 teaspoon only 2135mg... got algae boom now but might be because of my heavy feeding...

just up from 5ppm to 10ppm yesterday... all my zoas their skirting like extending shorter? dunno. maybe its just me... will observe a few more days.

am trying to cure a colony of zoas that has shrunken after the tank shifting... have another colony of zoa from hk that is always not fully open too. trying to see if vit c will help..

• SRC Member
After dose pics! :yeah:

There you go:

post-15730-1235404369.jpg

The single polyp that is not opened is in the final process of vomiting out the black stuff. I couldn't get the lighting to match exactly even though I shot at the same settings and white balance, probably it's cos they were shot at different times of the day. But you'd get the rough idea from the pics :)

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

There you go:

post-15730-1235404369.jpg

The single polyp that is not opened is in the final process of vomiting out the black stuff. I couldn't get the lighting to match exactly even though I shot at the same settings and white balance, probably it's cos they were shot at different times of the day. But you'd get the rough idea from the pics :)

eh bro u shld take pic 1 day b4 mah

e 1st pic is 2 wks b4 one rite ?

lolx i abit shock if u tell me e 1st pic is ytd take one colour so fast go up arhz ?

• SRC Member
eh bro u shld take pic 1 day b4 mah

e 1st pic is 2 wks b4 one rite ?

lolx i abit shock if u tell me e 1st pic is ytd take one colour so fast go up arhz ?

I didn't expect any immediate results so I didn't take pics, but the "before" state of the zoa was not much better than the pic I posted, not an exaggeration, cos I didn't change water or tinkle with the tank at all besides moving that piece of zoa further back cos a snail pushed him around. The main difference I noticed was not the better colours, but the skirts around the polyps were opening up symmetrically in a perfect circle, previously, they were all lopped sided and of irregular shapes.

I don't know how to explain, but basically a couple hours after dosing, they all closed up 100% as if lights were off, then one by one over a few hours, they opened slightly to vomit small blobs of black goo, before blooming 100% again with better colours. I can't say it was the vitamin c for sure, it could be a perfect coincidence resulting from something else, but my finger is pointed at the most obvious "culprit".

I hope this means I will have better luck with zoas from now on :lol:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
Wow... now this is a real testimony. ^_^

Can't wait to finish my reservist training and get back to my tank... we need to meet up soon, bro! :eyebrow:

Yeah sure, just PM me when your reservist ends. :)

By the way, I'm not endorsing the vitamin c, just posting my observations as it is and let everyone judge for themselves. If my first trial with the vitamin c had failed, I would consume it myself anyway hahaha. :lol:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey