Lemon's tank!

yikai

• Senior Reefer

played jenga just now and removed two big rocks! so happy. always though my tank was a little dense in terms of rockscaping, so took good friend joe_p's advice and remove some. big clearing with a nice patch of sand that is visible now. lovely! more swimming space and can put some corals that prefer some shade there. haha.

• Senior Reefer
Maybe you can show us step by step how to frag this beautiful zoa?

i would love to. still thinking though. its in a very awkward position. started out as a little frag which i wedge into a little crevice. it now grew out of the crevice and encrusted all over the surrounding rock. to frag it will be really challenging :)

• Senior Reefer

cleared some rocks away to form this!! i really really love it. increases the feel of depth and makes the tank look more spacious now. fishes also enjoy swimming in that area. flow there is rather slow, and the lighting is not very bright. it looks abit raw and rocks look abit pale because it was behind the 2 big rocks before i moved it, so there's minimal growth of algae/coraline. but there's great potential for this.

maybe a soft coral corner in the making :) an exciting little "project" to stock this area. also can add more fishes now that the swimming space is better..

post-15755-1264776430_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member
cleared some rocks away to form this!! i really really love it. increases the feel of depth and makes the tank look more spacious now. fishes also enjoy swimming in that area. flow there is rather slow, and the lighting is not very bright. it looks abit raw and rocks look abit pale because it was behind the 2 big rocks before i moved it, so there's minimal growth of algae/coraline. but there's great potential for this.

maybe a soft coral corner in the making :) an exciting little "project" to stock this area. also can add more fishes now that the swimming space is better..

beautiful little 'lagoon' u have there bro :) the fw is settling down nicely, flash flash flash!

• Senior Reefer

thanks zhimin! preparation work for future additions :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

joe: EH they are not sunkists LOL. what was i thinking... the orange ones are mandarin oranges ._. silly me..

• Senior Reefer
I wouldn't put too many things there or it'll defeat the purpose of creating it in the first place. Probably some encrusting corals that don't stick out too much so you can maintain the "valley" look. ^_^

yes good point! only going to stick a few corals at the sides. but i'm definately not touching the sand. i hardly see sand in my tank! too many rocks!! lol.

i'm thinking zoas, cloves and maybe some mushrooms.. hopefully wont clutter the place too much.

• SRC Member

Some photos to visualize...

The 1st pic is the one with a "valley" approx. 1/3 from the right side of the tank. The 2nd pic shows that the SPSs have grown and merged, thus covering the "valley". It isn't bad for this case, still a very beautiful tank. Depends on what you really wanna achieve from your planned aquascape.

Photos courtesy of RC.

post-13914-1264781437_thumb.jpg

post-13914-1264781454_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

they're all beautiful. with the SPS. mine looks more like the 2nd one although its narrower. but deeper. think will play softies lah. maybe bubble coral since they like very low flow. then that's about it. i realy love the white sand and dont wanna clutter it with too many corals.

tomorrow its jenga round two!! its so exciting when u pull out a huge rock and nothing collapses. just don't overdo it and it'll be fine. :x i always make sure there's at least 3 point contact for all my rocks.

• SRC Supporter

The 1st pic is the one with a "valley" approx. 1/3 from the right side of the tank. The 2nd pic shows that the SPSs have grown and merged, thus covering the "valley". It isn't bad for this case, still a very beautiful tank. Depends on what you really wanna achieve from your planned aquascape.

Photos courtesy of RC.

:wub: very nice.

The elevated acro at the 1/3 portion of the tank makes a really good focal point.

• Senior Reefer
Yup! Came across a thread in RC about reef scaping. Loving it! Makes me wanna re-scape, but my laziness wins...

rescaping will always be accopanied by "darn my itchy hands WHY DID I DO THAT" until you get used to it. that's how i feel haha.

• Senior Reefer
I have fat hands, and they don't do good in a nano... <_< Always gluing one frag and end up dismantling several others...

i'm no good with glue either... today i decided to remove all my king midas from the palys and glue them to frag plugs... ended up gluing my feet to the wooden platform, the cloth to my hands and some of the zoas were totally covered in glue.... took me awhile to get everyhting sorted out. the zoas are fine now thankfully...

good thing i did it outside............

Photos courtesy of RC.

This guy doesnt post much for his tank.

So sad.

Otherwise how nice for you to learn from his experience :(

Nice valley Lemon! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

valley project 40% completion. removed 2 more rocks from the front which supported nothing, to create more sand space. moved my big elegance to that area and added a soft coral, which i have no ID for it at the moment, but looks like a cespitularia.

post-15755-1264839677_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

since i had some rocks left over, decided to do a very simple outcrop consisting of just 2 rocks. placed it on the right. have placed my sunflower and keddredd zoas there and hoping that they will encrust all over it in time. put a colony of cloves at the bottom too, and my slightly damaged and neglected brain coral.

post-15755-1264839923_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

an angled shot of my unfinished business. will likely add more finishing touches. i love how everything looks so much bigger now! spacious! comparing with the old fts, its definately less colourful and has less corals. i had to give some away to make way for the simpler scape. but i like this better and i guess that's all that matters :)

post-15755-1264840039_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

these two idiots claimed this rocky outcrop as theirs and refuse to leave NO MATTER WHAT! so pissed. my zoas cant open because of their legs walking all over it. WHAT IS SO NICE ABOUT THIS ROCK!? my tank has plenty for them to stand on lol.

post-15755-1264866125_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

and also, sick and tired of this damsel. have been digging holes for its home ever since i got it. i though maybe after rescaping abit it will stop. well it didnt... anyone experience this too? its annoying to see the blue sandless patch.

post-15755-1264866218_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

geometric hawk. makes its occasional appearance. mostly when the lights are dimmer. not one of those "wow look at that gorgeous fish type". but rather the "wow! i didnt know you had this" or the "since when did you have this?" pretty fun to watch these lesser seen critters wander around my tank when the commotion has quieten down. adds a sense of adventure no matter what time of the day.

post-15755-1264866358_thumb.jpg