Shun's 2nd tank: 3x2x2

yongshun

• Senior Reefer
haha i haf oreadi plan my fishes oreadi

- true perc x2

- australian black clown (stil considering), nt sure if will fight wif my perc or nt

- fire goby

- purple fire goby

- neon goby

- bicolor blenny

- algae blenny

- chromis either x3 or x5

- anthias x3

- powder blue tang

- yellow tang

- cleaner shrimp

- pistol shrimp

- boxer shrimp

- yellow wrasse

is it a lot? lol

boxer shrimp better be careful hor. try to get a smallish one,...they are dam aggressive. altho some ppl have those kuai kuai ones (:

my 3 ft tank...only have

clowns X2

mandarin X1

neon goby X1

moorish idol X1

yellow wrases X1

coral beauty X1

cardinals (assorted) X6

varios shrimp gobies and pistol shrimps X3 each

cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, sexy shrimp, clapping shrimp, harlequin shrimp, arrow shrimp X2 each

leopard wrasse X1

but most of my fish smallish sized one...except the MI and the yellow wrasse. 4.5" ur stocklist, contains quite a few big fish o.O can house all together happily haha but must watch out for aggression and social stress for the fish lor...my tank with my current stock list, sometimes i see them all dart at the same time...like stress due to overcrowding...i dunno also la.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Supporter

chromis are perfectly fine..

i like them too look nice.esp with lighting their body v nice.

chromis also not fierce 1 wun go arnd chasing bullying fishes.

so i dont see why must becareful with them,the only bad point is,they eat like pig so new comers gets to eat lesser.

but again, whu cares.. feed more lah!!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

chromis are perfectly fine..

i like them too look nice.esp with lighting their body v nice.

chromis also not fierce 1 wun go arnd chasing bullying fishes.

so i dont see why must becareful with them,the only bad point is,they eat like pig so new comers gets to eat lesser.

but again, whu cares.. feed more lah!!

ya...veri nice rite hehe tats y dey will be the 1st batch of fishes im throwing in...n my ammonia is starting to clear up oreadi haha once my ammonia cleared up, if no2 n no3 is still 0, i will throw dem in le hehe

tink its ok if dey eat more, i feed more lor lol...tink all my fishes tat i decided to put inside all eat a lot de haha esp wif my current fishes...all pui pui n yao guis...wun haf to worry about too much excess nutrients though...a quote from weishun: "boh bian...cos skimmer gd" lol

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

haha ok...im definitely gonna feed more..esp wif anthias ard and my existing fishes oso...all are pui pui n yao guis..u shd see them in person lol

tink its ok if dey eat more, i feed more lor lol...wun nid to worry about too much excess nutrients...a quote from weishun: "boh bian...cos skimmer gd" lol

phosphate also will go up..

protein skimmer skim diff type of waste

else they wun hv invent e algae scrubber pls refer to bro SM post..

phosphate also will go up..

protein skimmer skim diff type of waste

else they wun hv invent e algae scrubber pls refer to bro SM post..

hmm even wif the use of FR? btw does chaeto absorbs phophate as well? cos im tinkin of putting chaeto inside my main tank...

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Supporter

FR deals with PO4

if u worry this worry that,cannot even add what u wan in ur tank.. then dun keep better. so much restriction.

anyone actually wonder why commercial brands like deltec all that never bother coming out with algae scrubber?

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
FR deals with PO4

if u worry this worry that,cannot even add what u wan in ur tank.. then dun keep better. so much restriction.

anyone actually wonder why commercial brands like deltec all that never bother coming out with algae scrubber?

Cos it is evident how cheap the scrubber is to put together DIY? How to mark up the price like this if the concept and design is so simple :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

Cos it is evident how cheap the scrubber is to put together DIY? How to mark up the price like this if the concept and design is so simple :P

i tot iwarna is selling?

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member
i tot iwarna is selling?

Iwarna different right? Those are hand assembled, not mass produced (> 1000pcs) if I'm not wrong. It is more laborious to produce in small quantities. Theirs caters to those who don't have the time/skills/resources to make their own, so I suppose their price is justified. Can't say for a fact cos I didn't get to see it in person, quite some time since I went there :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
haha i haf oreadi plan my fishes oreadi

- true perc x2

- australian black clown (stil considering), nt sure if will fight wif my perc or nt

- fire goby

- purple fire goby

- neon goby

- bicolor blenny

- algae blenny

- chromis either x3 or x5

- anthias x3

- powder blue tang

- yellow tang

- cleaner shrimp

- pistol shrimp

- boxer shrimp

- yellow wrasse

is it a lot? lol

Black Tang lah... :eyebrow: Or mystery wrasse... :lol:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Supporter
Iwarna different right? Those are hand assembled, not mass produced (> 1000pcs) if I'm not wrong. It is more laborious to produce in small quantities. Theirs caters to those who don't have the time/skills/resources to make their own, so I suppose their price is justified. Can't say for a fact cos I didn't get to see it in person, quite some time since I went there :P

yea.. those not mass produce.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

FR deals with PO4

Imagine how much Deltec will potentially lose if they build the algae scrubber.... will definitely kill the business of their skimmer - one machine is thousand dollars or more. I think the Algae scrubber is the best kept open secret in reefing..... i think of it like big pharmaceutical not wanting to come up with new cures or cheaper alternative therapy/drugs in case it kills the business of its best selling existing drugs.

Bro YShun, why are u not incorporating a scrubber to yr new tank? As bro ambystoma correctly put it: the skimmer takes out the food (organic) wastes but it does not remove the inorganic no3. Wud suggest u review santa monica's thread again. :rolleyes:

haiz...last nite hook up my chiller, from sump 2nd compartment n return to last compartment where my return pump is...bt it seems tat this way is unable to cool the tank fast enugh leh...i set the temperature at 28 deg, den the moment the chiller stop kicking in at 27.9, the temp stated in the thermostat will jump quite fast to ard 28.5deg -28.8deg, haf a feeling tat i will need to change the return to the tank directly...can anyone pls advise?

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

haiz...last nite hook up my chiller, from sump 2nd compartment n return to last compartment where my return pump is...bt it seems tat this way is unable to cool the tank fast enugh leh...i set the temperature at 28 deg, den the moment the chiller stop kicking in at 27.9, the temp stated in the thermostat will jump quite fast to ard 28.5deg -28.8deg, haf a feeling tat i will need to change the return to the tank directly...can anyone pls advise?

set e temp lower? else the flowrate input to chiller shld b higher..

actually e whole point i was trying to tell u is nt abt e phosphate going up..

nor hw much u want to feed your fish...

i m trying to tell u putting damsels inside will jepordize some expensive fish which r delicate feeders...

neither can u remove ur damsels or expensive delicate feeders once u introduce them,all will b hiding..

of cus u can feed lots n lots of food,u can always hv a better skimmer to skim away...

but once e delicate feeder r losing out in e tank,it will b more of even they r alive also skinny fishes.. dun blame e fish tht they r slow or refuse to eat..sometimes they just dun happen to live well with other fishes ard..

then of cus if u r those who would buy e fish n try again,then theres nth really much to comment abt..

• SRC Supporter
Imagine how much Deltec will potentially lose if they build the algae scrubber.... will definitely kill the business of their skimmer - one machine is thousand dollars or more. I think the Algae scrubber is the best kept open secret in reefing..... i think of it like big pharmaceutical not wanting to come up with new cures or cheaper alternative therapy/drugs in case it kills the business of its best selling existing drugs.

Bro YShun, why are u not incorporating a scrubber to yr new tank? As bro ambystoma correctly put it: the skimmer takes out the food (organic) wastes but it does not remove the inorganic no3. Wud suggest u review santa monica's thread again. :rolleyes:

sounds logical!!

so if run both skimmer and scrubber will be even better!

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

sounds logical!!

so if run both skimmer and scrubber will be even better!

Ha... actually, if incorporate a well built scrubber, can even do away with skimmer. Met two bros at my place 2 weeks ago and their system functioning with NO skimmers and NO FRs. AND NO UGLY NUISANCE ALGAE cos No3 and PO4 are nil or low. Imagine all the money saved without the FR (hardware and software).

But my scrubber is a secondary add-on improvision and not big enough for my system (temporary solution until i re-configure the sump/piping), so i continue to use my skimmer (but will try to switch if off for at least half a day after my scrubber is fully up and running as the skimmer takes away the food for the corals).

Did u incorporate a scrubber to yr new tank? Also agree with comments on the chromies.... now very tempted to get a school... lolx. Btw, when are u going to invite me to see yr nice new tank?

Bro YShun, now that my scrubber is working and helping, i may be able to spare you some chaeto so let me know if you need some. FOC for u of cos.

Regards,

• SRC Supporter

no lei, i did not try it yet.

want to see sps tank with reasonable amount of bioloads can cope anot first.

if workable,then we all can spend more on livestocks!! from the resale of the skimmer/fr etc. hehe :D

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

set e temp lower? else the flowrate input to chiller shld b higher..

actually e whole point i was trying to tell u is nt abt e phosphate going up..

nor hw much u want to feed your fish...

i m trying to tell u putting damsels inside will jepordize some expensive fish which r delicate feeders...

neither can u remove ur damsels or expensive delicate feeders once u introduce them,all will b hiding..

of cus u can feed lots n lots of food,u can always hv a better skimmer to skim away...

but once e delicate feeder r losing out in e tank,it will b more of even they r alive also skinny fishes.. dun blame e fish tht they r slow or refuse to eat..sometimes they just dun happen to live well with other fishes ard..

then of cus if u r those who would buy e fish n try again,then theres nth really much to comment abt..

hmm i tink its the same if i set a lower temperature..e.g. 27 deg...cos the my chiller will kick in at 28...so the temp cant be lower fast enugh...maybe i will try to use a stronger pump..cos currently im using atman 104...maybe will try 105 1st to c if its bcos of the flow rate lor...

hmm i neber tink of the feeding part for slow feeders...bt currently all my fishes r fast eaters...at least for nw...like tat i muz tink tink le...

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

Ha... actually, if incorporate a well built scrubber, can even do away with skimmer. Met two bros at my place 2 weeks ago and their system functioning with NO skimmers and NO FRs. AND NO UGLY NUISANCE ALGAE cos No3 and PO4 are nil or low. Imagine all the money saved without the FR (hardware and software).

But my scrubber is a secondary add-on improvision and not big enough for my system (temporary solution until i re-configure the sump/piping), so i continue to use my skimmer (but will try to switch if off for at least half a day after my scrubber is fully up and running as the skimmer takes away the food for the corals).

Did u incorporate a scrubber to yr new tank? Also agree with comments on the chromies.... now very tempted to get a school... lolx. Btw, when are u going to invite me to see yr nice new tank?

Bro YShun, now that my scrubber is working and helping, i may be able to spare you some chaeto so let me know if you need some. FOC for u of cos.

Regards,

haha thks a lot bro, i dun mind having some chaeto hehe my main concern of having a scrubber is bcos it will requires lighting...chaeto is ok bcos im planning to throw into my betta box inside the main tank...den if i on my lighting in my sump, yes, algae will grow on the srubber, bt it will oso grow on my pumps in the sump oso lor...will have a hard time doing maintenance for my pumps...bt im tinkin of getting a black color cover to cover the srubber, so tat the light will onli be contained in the cover n srubber, n nt onto my pumps....feasible?

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

i duno is it ur thermometer spoil u might wanna try a manual one 1st...

could it b ur chiller under power ?

hw come u dun set cut in at lower temp like 26-27?

28degree like keep cut in n out lehz..

irritating sound if any..

hmm tats y dunno lor..gotta try to find out...if nt haf to carry the whole ting to the shop...heavy...

under power as in? nt strong enugh to cool down the tank? can't be leh...mine is hailea 300A 1/4...supposingly can cool down up to 800 litres...my total tank capacity is max ard 400 litres nia, based on the total amount of water tat i have used...so by rite should be able to cool down rite? haiz...i din face such problems during my 1st nano setup haha everytin seems to be so easi n smooth...nw tis setup is giving me headache everydae lol

hmm if the recommended flowrate is 1000-2500, my pump is 1800, bt atman pump head lost is super high...tats y im tinkin could it be tat the flow rate is so slow tat the water in the chiller is being chilled veri fast, bt nt fast enugh to return to the sump to cool down the sump, den once it cuts off, when water flow in from the sump, the temperature will rise high again?

my eventual temp will be 27...nw i set at 28 is to test out the chiller lor...den according to a frend of mine who is into bio, bacteria will multiply faster at a higher temp...tats y nw since stil cycling i set at 28 lor

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

hmm tats y dunno lor..gotta try to find out...if nt haf to carry the whole ting to the shop...heavy...

under power as in? nt strong enugh to cool down the tank? can't be leh...mine is hailea 300A 1/4...supposingly can cool down up to 800 litres...my total tank capacity is max ard 400 litres nia, based on the total amount of water tat i have used...so by rite should be able to cool down rite? haiz...i din face such problems during my 1st nano setup haha everytin seems to be so easi n smooth...nw tis setup is giving me headache everydae lol

hmm if the recommended flowrate is 1000-2500, my pump is 1800, bt atman pump head lost is super high...tats y im tinkin could it be tat the flow rate is so slow tat the water in the chiller is being chilled veri fast, bt nt fast enugh to return to the sump to cool down the sump, den once it cuts off, when water flow in from the sump, the temperature will rise high again?

my eventual temp will be 27...nw i set at 28 is to test out the chiller lor...den according to a frend of mine who is into bio, bacteria will multiply faster at a higher temp...tats y nw since stil cycling i set at 28 lor

yes temp go up bacteria gd/bad also go up.... algae also go up...