Brain/hammer coral

reaper78

Hi everyone, bought a Open Brain Coral (pardon me if i wrong) from GO 2 days ago. I notice dat the brain 'Skin' (i not sure wat u call dat part), looks flabby. I sure dat it was not in dat state 2 days ago. Is this normal? part of the photo process?

Also is the hammer coral doing okay?? I just wana to be sure...hehe THanks in advance. :thanx:

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

hammer is fine. but ur brain im not sure. no experience with brain. nice colour though! rainbow (:

Boss, sorry but i notice that some of the hammer's head is green, while some are not. This is perfectly okay rite??

• Senior Reefer
Boss, sorry but i notice that some of the hammer's head is green, while some are not. This is perfectly okay rite??

yep. perfectly normal. please dun call me boss haha. im only 17 u know (: my hammer also, some tips are greeen, some pink some brown. perfectly normal dun worry (: ur hammer looks very healthy! fluffy and nice. keep up the good work haha

feed them with prawns and pellets! not forgetting henry's mix.. =]

pellets?? I bought henry's mix but i didnt specifically feed the brain. I make use of the hydor water pump to distribute the food.....hope tat is okay

I looking of a nice closed brain. Perhaps next tues GO shippment will have some very nice one....hehehe

• Senior Reefer
pellets?? I bought henry's mix but i didnt specifically feed the brain. I make use of the hydor water pump to distribute the food.....hope tat is okay

I looking of a nice closed brain. Perhaps next tues GO shippment will have some very nice one....hehehe

u can put some food on the brain when u see the tentacles open. usually at night (: alot of interesting things happen at night, just have to observe hehe

u can put some food on the brain when u see the tentacles open. usually at night (: alot of interesting things happen at night, just have to observe hehe

At nite ah? haha...later when my lights go off...i spend some time and see...hehe...by the way...i running on T5, 2 x day and 2 x artinic but only for 6 hrs as recently overwhelming jelly algae sticking on the LR, but not cynobacteria. And the blue Led moonlight i leave it on overnight. i guess is okay.

Alot of troubleshooting and endless effort/time in this marine hobby. But very interesting in our quest to build our own 'ocean' in our apartment. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

yup... after time you can train them to accept food readily... my brains will go to feeding mood the moment a pellet or brine shrimp or particals from henry's mix falls on them... =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• Senior Reefer
yup... after time you can train them to accept food readily... my brains will go to feeding mood the moment a pellet or brine shrimp or particals from henry's mix falls on them... =]

hey bro! fragmaster selling a nice open brain for $35. i want to buy it hehe. waiting for his reply. so happi. finally can own a brain. hope that he can sell me

so what i do is to place food on top of it? near the mouth part? hmmm.......

yup. just put it on it. make sure nothing steal food from it haha.

Okay. THanks for e reply. I DIY a mineral water bottle and 'encircle' the brain so dat there be no opportunist lurking ard....hehehe

• SRC Member
hey bro! fragmaster selling a nice open brain for $35. i want to buy it hehe. waiting for his reply. so happi. finally can own a brain. hope that he can sell me

yup i saw it.. quite a nice piece at a reasonable price... IMHO brains are quite easy to keep... =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

Hi guys, what do you feed your hammers and frogspawns? I tried small pieces of market prawn and Cyclo-peeze but they are not being eaten. for the prawn, it sticks to the tentacles for a short while and then floats off, even with circulation off. For Cyclo, the coral forms a slime coat to carry the cyclo away, like it was irritated by it or something.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer
Hi guys, what do you feed your hammers and frogspawns? I tried small pieces of market prawn and Cyclo-peeze but they are not being eaten. for the prawn, it sticks to the tentacles for a short while and then floats off, even with circulation off. For Cyclo, the coral forms a slime coat to carry the cyclo away, like it was irritated by it or something.

same. my torch especially. cannot seem to eat. food will stick, it will try to eat but then will float away or kena steal from my fish.

• SRC Member
same. my torch especially. cannot seem to eat. food will stick, it will try to eat but then will float away or kena steal from my fish.

So have your corals been feeding? if yes, what? If no, how long have they survived without direct feed?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer
So have your corals been feeding? if yes, what? If no, how long have they survived without direct feed?

i see my coral produce alot of shit on regular basis. so i guess they must be feeding. i feed sometime oyster egg, marine snow....and henry food. i guess they do eat some bah. im not sure...i dun see them eat. sometimes they catch mysis. but i never see them put in mouth. always halfway putting inside mouth, float away or fish steal.

• SRC Member
Hi everyone, bought a Open Brain Coral (pardon me if i wrong) from GO 2 days ago. I notice dat the brain 'Skin' (i not sure wat u call dat part), looks flabby. I sure dat it was not in dat state 2 days ago. Is this normal? part of the photo process?

Also is the hammer coral doing okay?? I just wana to be sure...hehe THanks in advance. :thanx:

Both are fine... But it looks to me that ur brain can inflate further... ;)

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D