Recommendation of reliable aquarium shops

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi its not really a good idea to get the designer or id firm to do the full hight cabinet. it might nt fit to the specs u want for the tank. get the tank maker to do a full hight cabinet with tank set up.

Mmm...... I got what you meant.......

I spoke to Victor from Iwarna yesterday and he said that he will work closely with my ID( if he is selected) to get the ID's beautiful idea materialised, which is why he said that he will customize the tank & its set up first and then for my ID to wrap it up with its capentry nicely. I don't know how la.... but I guess they have to communicate with each other very well, lor......... :eyeblur:

• SRC Member

I spoke to Victor from Iwarna yesterday and he said that he will work closely with my ID( if he is selected) to get the ID's beautiful idea materialised, which is why he said that he will customize the tank & its set up first and then for my ID to wrap it up with its capentry nicely. I don't know how la.... but I guess they have to communicate with each other very well, lor......... :eyeblur:

I can only gently comment...just ensure the skimmer is reliable brand and the lighting. For lighting...if yr budget allows got for germany brand like giessmann (spells something like that), ATI or this DE lighting. You dun want to end up paying a few K but yr hardwares are low end stuffs..u know wat i mean.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

how big is your tank?

must take lots of pictures to show us your mini ocean once its done.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

I can only gently comment...just ensure the skimmer is reliable brand and the lighting. For lighting...if yr budget allows got for germany brand like giessmann (spells something like that), ATI or this DE lighting. You dun want to end up paying a few K but yr hardwares are low end stuffs..u know wat i mean.

Okie, I'll ask for the brand of the lighting, btw, the brand of the skimmer is reef octopus needle wheel pump 3000 litres per hr.

What do you think?

how big is your tank?

must take lots of pictures to show us your mini ocean once its done.

My tank is 5ft x 2ft x 2ft....quite big, hor....... it is going to divide the dining and the study, theraputic for both kind of activities.

Surely, honestly, I can't wait to take the pictures.....I think it is going to be awesome, 'cos the tank is situated for a floating effect....... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Okie, I'll ask for the brand of the lighting, btw, the brand of the skimmer is reef octopus needle wheel pump 3000 litres per hr.

What do you think?

it would be nice to invest in a better skimmer esp if tank is big and spending so much money. a good skimmer definitely gives u less headache in the long run. HTH

• SRC Member
My tank is 5ft x 2ft x 2ft....quite big, hor....... it is going to divide the dining and the study, theraputic for both kind of activities.

Surely, honestly, I can't wait to take the pictures.....I think it is going to be awesome, 'cos the tank is situated for a floating effect....... :rolleyes:

bro look is one thing esp if you getting a id to over see everything. my completely over haul my house and my id suggested the tv located beside the marine tank <_< !

its better to have something more practical esp when keeping marine. if you intend to have chiller, it might also be nice to hook it up with your air con compressor. you might want to do some space planning for skimmer, chiller etc for the carpentry works.

for my case i stop my id from doing my tank. i got a tank maker that work with carpenter to do up the tank and get someone else to set it up for me. HTH

bro look is one thing esp if you getting a id to over see everything. my completely over haul my house and my id suggested the tv located beside the marine tank <_< !

its better to have something more practical esp when keeping marine. if you intend to have chiller, it might also be nice to hook it up with your air con compressor. you might want to do some space planning for skimmer, chiller etc for the carpentry works.

for my case i stop my id from doing my tank. i got a tank maker that work with carpenter to do up the tank and get someone else to set it up for me. HTH

Oic, that's going to be a competition between the TV & the tank, and will it disturb the fishes & their well-being, if you let your ID go ahead with the design, right?

Ya, that's the advice I got too about the compressor and the space for the skimmer etc.... ;) Thanks for the good reminder. Hmm...... I'm really comfortable with my ID and have full faith in him, because he is actually the 1 that keeps bugging me to seek professional help about the tank and its setup so that he can incorporate the experts' advice into his design of the cabinets. He does not only want a beautiful showpiece but a lively, workable one too. Actually, I owe it to him that I'm doing this research now.....

So, I will be getting an entire package - the expert to do up the tank and the setup but my ID to do the "cosmetics", I think my ID can and will work very well with the experts. :)

• SRC Member

of course didnt let my id do everything she wants. its my house not hers LOL.

make sure the support for the tank is structually sound use chennai or solid wood to support it. ensure that the opening for the top portion of the tank have sufficent and flexiabilty of changing to various kinds of lights MH, T5 etc. it be good if you have all cabinet doros that can be open on top to access all areas of yr tank. for easy set up as well as maintaince.

of course didnt let my id do everything she wants. its my house not hers LOL.

make sure the support for the tank is structually sound use chennai or solid wood to support it. ensure that the opening for the top portion of the tank have sufficent and flexiabilty of changing to various kinds of lights MH, T5 etc. it be good if you have all cabinet doros that can be open on top to access all areas of yr tank. for easy set up as well as maintaince.

Yes, thanks for the your advice... I will check the support (must be chengal wood) & access for maintainence of the tank in the cabinet. ;)

• SRC Member
Okie, I guess it is also critical to check the structural integrity, I 'll do thatwith my mgt office, wondering where can I get the total weight of the entire tank?

Easily >1000kg for a 5x2x2' tank. Weight of salt water is heavier + LR + sump + cabinet. Use the online converter at the bottom of the page to help you.

• SRC Member

bro i tink it might be a better idea if you get the tank maker to build the whole system for you. rather than carpenter from ID and tank maker/set up seperately. cos if there is any issues in future you will have lots of tai chi better ID and tank maker. of course, you need to find a tank maker that is reliable and tai chi.

you can just take the brand and sample code of the laminate you like and ask the tank maker to buy and fabricate using it.

HTH.

• 2 weeks later...
This is scary indeed........ :shock:

I had just spoken to Henry from Marine Life, he sounded helpful and asked me to go to his shop to have a better understanding of the system and his quotation, think I 'll make a trip to his shop 1 of these days. And I'm meeting Victor from Iwarna at my new flat tomorrow, he wants to study the site????? Hope this is a good start..... Btw, like to have a feel, how long does it take you guys to decide on your marine tank? Because I have this feeling that Im going to take a long time, :huh:

My $0.02 as a neutral observer. You seem to have the budget and the interest to do this right!

Don't rush into or commit to anything, I think you need to do a lot more research and reading first, before you decide on what to build. You should not try to rush the tank into your house with the rest of your renovation.

You might seriously want to consider moving in, and getting everything situated and settled into before you get your tank set up. Yes it will be a bit messier, but you will not regret taking more time to plan and make the decision.

I'd also suggest picking up a few books on marine aquariums and animal husbandry, You need to figure out what you want to keep in the tank, and how best to design a tank for that purpose.

Don't rely on anyone, not even (or especially depending on how you look at it) aquarium shops to make the decisions for you!

Even if they are 100% well intentioned, they will not be able to cater to what you need as well as they could if you knew what you wanted for sure.

Something else you might want to consider for a tank this size, is a outside mounted compressor based chiller, that may need to be done at this stage, or you will potentially have a hot air blower in the middle of your living room.

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail...?productid=1136 something along these lines, but it may be hard to conceal after all your renovation is done

This forum is a wealth of information that I've been mining almost non-stop for the last 2 months, wish I had found it sooner.