NO3 to Nitrogen

Fishfreak

I was using 2 x 36 PL over a nano with 4" DSB. I had those bubbles then, but not a lot.

Recently, I changed the lights to 3 x 24 T5. Now, I get to enjoy an amazing bubble show everyday. Bubbles were bubbling to the surface in droves.

Question : Was this because of the improved lighting? Or something else?

Then my next question. I don't have surface skimming in this tank. Skimmer is a Prizm. Most of the bubbles do not burst when they reach the top. Right now, I lay newspapers on the surface about twice a week to remove the scum there. Should I increase the frequency to remove the floating bubbles as well?

Thanks

• SRC Member

hi my 2ft tank also have the same problem as u the bubbles do not burst on the surface and the are layers of oil or scum and i also using prizm skimmer however i modify the skimmer a bit by using a 16mm pvc pipe with x2 "L' elbow make a U shape and along the pvc pipe drill some holes so that i can skim as usual and the top the water will flow down been using it for 2 weeks liao so far so good no scum or oil on the surface

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Improved lighting resulting in increased bubbles can only mean that there is increased photosynthesis by the algae and cyanobacteria living in the sand. The bubbles are oxygen and not nitrogen. Denitrifcation takes place in the dark and light can actually inhibit it.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

NO3 level is between 5mg to 10mg the colour is much closer to 5mg lor

NH4/NH3 0

Ca is around 500 if i never remeber wrongly

the test kit used are sera brand and test are taken on tueday

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member
last pic of the bubbles on the sand bed

Is that on the sand surface? It looks like slimy cyanobacteria trapping oxygen. If it is between the sand and glass then it's nothing to worry about.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

If it is between the sand and glass then it's nothing to worry about.

Pls elaborate. Thru the glass, I can see lots of bubbles in the sand bed and these make their way up. Are these good or bad?

Also, what are the signs that the DSB has matured sufficiently to start denitrifying (other than a lowering of NO3 reading?)?

Thanks

• SRC Member

Only a lowering of nitrate in the water lets you know that the DSB is maturing. Bubbles are more often then not cause by algae growing.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

there are bubbles that also being trap in the sand as i can see it from the glass