Caught some fish at the beach yesterday

Firestarter

• SRC Member

Caught 3 kinds of fishes at the beach yesterday.

Did some ID on them.

First pic is school of cat fishes.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/ver...ae/lineatus.htm

The link says that its a popular aquarium fish but I've never seen them in any LFS before. Advise? Thinking of putting them in my tank.

post-13947-1237717803.jpg

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Last pic is a fish that I couldn't get a good pic on.

I've used this pic, from Jameshong (hope you dont mind), and its the same as the 2 fishes on the left.

Is that a mono? Safe to put into tank?

If not then I'll have to give them away.

post-13947-1237718034.jpg

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

Last pic is a fish that I couldn't get a good pic on.

I've used this pic, from Jameshong (hope you dont mind), and its the same as the 2 fishes on the left.

Is that a mono? Safe to put into tank?

If not then I'll have to give them away.

Look like baby mono

• SRC Member
Caught 3 kinds of fishes at the beach yesterday.

Did some ID on them.

First pic is school of cat fishes.

http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/ver...ae/lineatus.htm

The link says that its a popular aquarium fish but I've never seen them in any LFS before. Advise? Thinking of putting them in my tank.

Marine catfish are poisonous and some species are lethal to humans. Beware.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

These fishes are found everywhere on our shores.... east coast parkway, changi, labrador... easily caught by hand. I used to catch them while swimming on the beaches.

The juvenile catfish is quite cool when young... they school and feed in a ball.... but they will get much bigger and then you have to return them back to the sea.

The halfbeak will also grow quick long. Not sure about its diet but I think they will go after large zooplankton and baby fry.

The monos are similar... they are fragile at this stage... they may not last too long but if they do.. they can stay with you to adulthood.

wow that's quite cool.

I've caught some of these before with my little cousins as we wade along the shallow bits.

There are places where you can actually catch very tiny cuttlefish too.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

• SRC Member
wow that's quite cool.

I've caught some of these before with my little cousins as we wade along the shallow bits.

There are places where you can actually catch very tiny cuttlefish too.

Yeah I've caught many of these squids, but released them back as I do not think provide the specific care they need.

• SRC Member

Thanks all for the reply.

I've put the halfbeak and the catfishes into the tank. The baby mono seems to be pecking on the halfbeak every now and then so decided to separate them.

Anybody wants to adopt the baby mono?

• Senior Reefer

these fishes nice ah? haha. the monos are quite prety when they are adult, with yellow/orange fins. but the catfish and the halfbeak? u dun wanna add other nicer looking fish? although i must say, these fish do make unique and cool tank inhabitants.

• SRC Member
these fishes nice ah? haha. the monos are quite prety when they are adult, with yellow/orange fins. but the catfish and the halfbeak? u dun wanna add other nicer looking fish? although i must say, these fish do make unique and cool tank inhabitants.

The catfish look like a school of hyperactive neon gobies. Thought it would be unique to have some fish that are diff from what u can get at the LFS.