Fragging Acropora

• SRC Member

Hi SPS experts,

Any brothers here know how to frag a colony of staghorn and mount them onto the rocks?

My hands itchy, tried to shift its position last night and my epoxy does not stick the colony effectively....fell down a few times... :shock:

Kept vomiting milky stuffs until my whole tank cloudy.

Need help here to frag the colony.

Can i just stick the frag directly on my rocks instead of mounting it onto coral shears?

Currently, the colony is guarantine in a tub with air pump before it cause my tank to crash from its milky stuff.

Hope someone can advice me asap....feeling a bit lost... :cry2::cry2:

:thanks::thanks:

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Have u tried superglue gel? It is alot easier to use than epozy. Brands like 3m and alteco are cheaper option.

forgot who it was (from forum) who taught me but superglue ( selley's brand---GEL type) really works well and less hassle than other epoxies or glue...

no expert in fragging / sps but used to mount/ glue a few times after advice from others... by 1st taking a small pc of LR out of water, use tissue do a quick dab ( suck most water out from that area u applying glue ), apply a drop of glue to the rock, dry the base of the frag (where u applying the glue) and apply one drop there...wait 5 sec then put them together...

the benefit of gluing to small rock or frag plug 1st is that for new frags it might or might not succeed (in my case) and u can shift them ard to acclimatise them to diff lighting or diff water flow areas... if unknown reason it fails or gets infection can easily just take it out and throw away...glue to main rock if fail have to chip out a pc of LR...the glue sticks 10 times better out of water as well too!

just sharing :-)

• SRC Member
Hi SPS experts,

Any brothers here know how to frag a colony of staghorn and mount them onto the rocks?

My hands itchy, tried to shift its position last night and my epoxy does not stick the colony effectively....fell down a few times... :shock:

Kept vomiting milky stuffs until my whole tank cloudy.

Need help here to frag the colony.

Can i just stick the frag directly on my rocks instead of mounting it onto coral shears?

Currently, the colony is guarantine in a tub with air pump before it cause my tank to crash from its milky stuff.

Hope someone can advice me asap....feeling a bit lost... :cry2::cry2:

:thanks::thanks:

just get a cutter. cut a pice from the colony, those staghorn can be pretty hard to frag, as

its very thick...so u need a good, sharp cutter...and stainless steel

knead the epoxy like a ball, stick at the bottom of frag, and press firmly the frag to the rock.

I think ur colony doesn't stick maybe not enuff epoxy. off the wave pump when epoxy.

another alternative is to use gel glue.

wat epoxy u using?? I prefer tunze.

• SRC Member

Yo brothers,

Thank you for your advices and help.

I managed to frag my acropora....the pictures below....haha...

Sadly, i used the epoxy....and it messed up my tank real BAD....F@#king real bad... :cry2:

My water became very cloudy and my frags did not stick on the rocks. After a while, my frags start to drop onto my substrate....want to cry liao...

In a state of despair, i did water change...situation under control for a while...though water was still very cloudy.

Later one of my goby did not make it...too much for it to handle. :sick:

In the end, i managed to stick one of the frag onto the rock while the rest i have to let go...RIP.

But this morning, after i din another water change, the frag kept vomitting milky stuffs....another major headache....no choice i decide to dump it.

Good thing my LPS and softies are still doing great...these guys are hardy...haha.

At least, i learnt some new things....fragging acropora. :heh: cool...

What i do was to use a pair of pilers to break them....but i also used my hands to break the smaller ones...but wearing gloves will be better, coz these staggies can "cut" my skin....can feel the sharp pain.

post-15124-1238550235.jpg

post-15124-1238550355.jpg

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Yo brothers,

Thank you for your advices and help.

I managed to frag my acropora....the pictures below....haha...

Sadly, i used the epoxy....and it messed up my tank real BAD....F@#king real bad... :cry2:

My water became very cloudy and my frags did not stick on the rocks. After a while, my frags start to drop onto my substrate....want to cry liao...

In a state of despair, i did water change...situation under control for a while...though water was still very cloudy.

Later one of my goby did not make it...too much for it to handle. :sick:

In the end, i managed to stick one of the frag onto the rock while the rest i have to let go...RIP.

But this morning, after i din another water change, the frag kept vomitting milky stuffs....another major headache....no choice i decide to dump it.

Good thing my LPS and softies are still doing great...these guys are hardy...haha.

At least, i learnt some new things....fragging acropora. :heh: cool...

What i do was to use a pair of pilers to break them....but i also used my hands to break the smaller ones...but wearing gloves will be better, coz these staggies can "cut" my skin....can feel the sharp pain.

Wah so daring??? I only cut small small not dare cut big big de... :lol:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
Wah so daring??? I only cut small small not dare cut big big de... :lol:

haha...depends on yr guts lo...

That's how SPS are propagated.

See this video...SPS sunbathing under the hot hot sun in fiji. :eyebrow:

Anybody wants to take out their SPS to sun them?

l7304smr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Try the D&D expoxy .... real sticky.. Very good to use..

from the pic he shld be using tat brand. Btw way ahsiang bro, did u mix the 2 diff epoxy together? like making rice ball. Mine is holding well and now stiff like rock.

pico pico pico.

• SRC Member
from the pic he shld be using tat brand. Btw way ahsiang bro, did u mix the 2 diff epoxy together? like making rice ball. Mine is holding well and now stiff like rock.

ya...i mixed them together like a fish ball like that....but does not stick well...i think is becoz my SPS is wet, there's why.

anyway, fragging SPS like staghorn is quite easily, but dun use bare hands coz its quite sharp.

you can leave the frags on a piece of towel...they won't die...

l7304smr.jpg