Plate Coral is dying..

Fuzzy

I picked up this plate coral from GO about 5 days ago, it looked very happy in the display tank.

It seemed fine for the first 2 days I had it, though it did not expand as large as it did when it was in the store tank.

On Day three, I noticed its flesh was receding and revealing its skeleton, I suspected it was being attacked by Bristleworms hiding in my sand.

I repositioned it onto my rockwork and it seems to be deteriorating even quicker...

Any one have any possible suggestions, I am not too optimistic about its chances at survival.

The only fauna in this tank aside from a few small bristle worms are a skunk cleaner shrimp, a banded cleaner and 3 turbo snails, no fish.

I did remove a nuisance crab about 2 days after I introduced the plate..think that might have been the problem?

This crab was ninja hiding out somewhere in the rock work all the way through cycling, I didn't see it in the tank for over a month.

post-15889-1239709375.jpg

post-15889-1239709386.jpg

• Senior Reefer

u should never place a plate coral on the rocks. especially urs being a long tentacled plate, extra sensitive. the rock will rub and abrade their soft flesh. they likeliving on the sand.

u should never place a plate coral on the rocks. especially urs being a long tentacled plate, extra sensitive. the rock will rub and abrade their soft flesh. they likeliving on the sand.

I moved the poor thing up there after it suffered that damage whilst on the sandbed. I have since relocated it to a quiet area on the sand bed. I wonder if my sand was too coarse for it.

Using Caribsea Aragonite Live sand.

• SRC Member
I moved the poor thing up there after it suffered that damage whilst on the sandbed. I have since relocated it to a quiet area on the sand bed. I wonder if my sand was too coarse for it.

Using Caribsea Aragonite Live sand.

Try to put them on the sandbed and away from direct strong lights and from direct flow....i believe when u got it from GO, it was placed on the bottom rite and the flow is low...tio bo brother?

l7304smr.jpg

Try to put them on the sandbed and away from direct strong lights and from direct flow....i believe when u got it from GO, it was placed on the bottom rite and the flow is low...tio bo brother?

Yes, on the bottom, flow seemed moderate though, but their displays are bare bottom with egg crate..

That is brown jelly and it will be a matter of time before you plate coral completely goes away. This often is due to damage to the coral tissue which results in infection that cannot be saved. It could already have been damaged when you bought it or damaged in the introduction process. Bristleworms are definitely not the problem here.

• SRC Member

Fuzzy bro, I think you should cut your losses and just get rid of it early, before it dies or introduces funny stuff into the system and affect your future corals. Doesn't seem like it can be saved already :)

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

That is brown jelly and it will be a matter of time before you plate coral completely goes away. This often is due to damage to the coral tissue which results in infection that cannot be saved. It could already have been damaged when you bought it or damaged in the introduction process. Bristleworms are definitely not the problem here.

Spot on. It just turned into all brown jelly. I think my flow was too high at the site I originally located it.

Some tissue probably got torn and the brown jelly took over :(

The plate got stripped to a bare skeleton in the span of 4 days, it had no chance at all.

I've removed it from the tank.

• SRC Member
Spot on. It just turned into all brown jelly. I think my flow was too high at the site I originally located it.

Some tissue probably got torn and the brown jelly took over :(

The plate got stripped to a bare skeleton in the span of 4 days, it had no chance at all.

I've removed it from the tank.

Did you dose chemical recently ? Especially magnesium ? Check your level.

Did you dose chemical recently ? Especially magnesium ? Check your level.

No the only additive I've ever dosed into this tank is Caribsea Purple up.

Aside from that nothing has gone into this water aside from the LS and Hikari frozen mysis, frozen rotifers and TLF Marine snow.

Mg levels are within optimal range.

• 10 months later...
  • SRC Member

short tentacle plate coral--

anyone epoxied the base to a piece of LR away from the sand bed ? mine on the sand bed stayed still for almost 1 mth but moved and sat on 2 of my moon coral frags 10cm away...

now using both moon corals to barricade it to a corner...worried of it stinging my yumas and shrooms and other moon...

most sources online says its bad idea to place it on LR but no mention of epoxy so it stays still...anyone epoxied with success ?

• SRC Member

i place my plate on rocks for months before, so i dun think its caused by that if you place it in a way no flesh is rubbing the rocks. or maybe im just plain lucky.

btw to answer Fuzzy question though its one year late.

**************seen those retraction in euphyllias before.

my guess is bacteria infection.

you can try these steps if the infection didnt progess too quickly towards the mouth area,

1) dip in lugol solution for 20min.

2) saw or rotary saw off the infected part.

step2a) super glue gel the wound.

3) dip in new set of lugol solution for 20min again.

step 2a might be tricky for your case, so you can skip it.

i done this to my corals before, and i did stop the infection from further in.

and you might want to try to test your parameters as well. i suspect its brown jelly disease which happens after a wound injury.

but IMO, its most likely gone. the disease is too advanced.

****didnt realized its a post one year ago**** :lol:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||