yellow tang problems

markietan

• SRC Member

hi all,

have 2 small size yellow tangs in my tank now...

1st YT bought at LCK last last Sunday. Didn't try to feed before I caught it in the net... my mistake. It won't eat anything except grazing on whatever algae there is on the rocks. I have tried brine, mysis (with and w/o garlic guard), nori (purple and green), ulva, formula 1 pellets, spectrum pellets... it follows the other fishes to the food but doesn't eat any. How do i make it eat? Its so skinny now i'm afraid it will starve to death...

2nd YT bought from fellow reefer. suspect it has MHLLE... feeding greedily but haven't let out of betta box yet. If it is indeed MHLLE, what's the best cure? Thanks

post-5359-1242192480.jpg

• SRC Member
for the hungry yellow tank that didn't eat anything, you can try to put lettuce (tear one piece, tie to something heavy and drop down).

mm.. but i read it isn't really a nutritious food for them although they will eat it. how is yours doing feeding on lettuce? is it romaine lettuce only or any type?

:thanks:

• SRC Member
try soak food like pellets, seaweed over night with garlic extract might help in getting them to feed.

soak seaweed with selcon might heal HILLE. can get selcon from R E E F D E P O T

i have not soaked them overnight before. usually just soak for 15 mins and then pour into tank slowly (together w/ the extract)

i'll swing by RD to get selcon. always hear about it but nv tried... and from the picture, is that HLLE?

• SRC Supporter

hey bro,its hlle prob need alot of nutrietious food to bring it back to health, once it stop rotting u are half way there,

and when it starts to heal,it will continue most prob,all the way.. ML got a v terrible purple tang..now 95% healed liao..but henry feed it alot daily and its not so fat its like gonna burst!

for ur other yt, i got from lck also the other time

2times the size of 50cent coin,was in my betta box and then it escaped. feed on algae in my tank only for weeks then started on pellets.

u can try nori like what they suggest.

if u just wana try some to kick start it to eat, i just got 2 packet. can spare u quite abit to last for awhile.

ring me. :D

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

yt no problem, they don't feed about 2weeks, start grazing on lr, 1st attempt of food, try flakes, once eating for few days...feed pellets (soft)..after that mixture of both flakes/pellets and henry's food etc...worked well for me.

As fish are caught in a cruel net or birds are taken in a snare,so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them.Ecc 9:12

• SRC Member
hey bro,its hlle prob need alot of nutrietious food to bring it back to health, once it stop rotting u are half way there,

and when it starts to heal,it will continue most prob,all the way.. ML got a v terrible purple tang..now 95% healed liao..but henry feed it alot daily and its not so fat its like gonna burst!

for ur other yt, i got from lck also the other time

2times the size of 50cent coin,was in my betta box and then it escaped. feed on algae in my tank only for weeks then started on pellets.

u can try nori like what they suggest.

if u just wana try some to kick start it to eat, i just got 2 packet. can spare u quite abit to last for awhile.

ring me. :D

thanks bro. i tried feeding nori.. the one use to wrap sushi bought from super market, unseasoned. also tried Two Little Fishes brand one.. both also YT not interested. i'll keep trying

• SRC Member
yt no problem, they don't feed about 2weeks, start grazing on lr, 1st attempt of food, try flakes, once eating for few days...feed pellets (soft)..after that mixture of both flakes/pellets and henry's food etc...worked well for me.

i never had luck feeding flakes.. it often flows into the overflow before the fish eats it.. any advise?

• SRC Supporter
thanks bro. i tried feeding nori.. the one use to wrap sushi bought from super market, unseasoned. also tried Two Little Fishes brand one.. both also YT not interested. i'll keep trying

wan me to pass u some julian sprung ones?

maybe going near ur area tmr,u wan can bring over for u. nite time arnd 10.. let me know ok.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

soak the nori overnight with garlic extract might help. all my tangs n angels go crazy over them

• SRC Member
hey bro, i notice i soak nori too long even like 10mins in garlic guard the nori will become "nua nua" leh.

i used them from daiso okie leh. after soak over nite i clip them onto those sea weed clip the fishes will eat from there.

• SRC Member
Just throw the whole bunch in or must cut up the red bamboo?

it come attached to the rock. just put the whole thing in. to play safe, i usually soak like 4 hours in fresh water before i put it in. in case there is any pests etc attached to the rocks.

it come attached to the rock. just put the whole thing in. to play safe, i usually soak like 4 hours in fresh water before i put it in. in case there is any pests etc attached to the rocks.

cool. thanks. Will go get some to make my tang fat fat :)

event.png