Need Some Advice...

Hi Everyone,

I will be setting up my new marine tank, 32"x20"x24" 250l tank mid this month.

In order to speed up the entire cycling process, which type of live sand must I used?

How many bags I need for my tank?

For salt, what is the amount required to mix up with the tap water during initial set up?

Which brand to recommend?

Tot of asking some expert to do the initial setup for my new tank, service include :

1. Laying sand bed

2. salt-water mixing

3. Arranging live rock

My budget not more than $400, include live sand, live rocks and salt.

Any bros here can recommend me a reliable person can help me to do the job?

Tks

Admiring a well designed Terrarium's garden indoor is like walking thru a garden after a whole day work...

• SRC Member
Hi Everyone,

I will be setting up my new marine tank, 32"x20"x24" 250l tank mid this month.

In order to speed up the entire cycling process, which type of live sand must I used?

How many bags I need for my tank?

For salt, what is the amount required to mix up with the tap water during initial set up?

Which brand to recommend?

Tot of asking some expert to do the initial setup for my new tank, service include :

1. Laying sand bed

2. salt-water mixing

3. Arranging live rock

My budget not more than $400, include live sand, live rocks and salt.

Any bros here can recommend me a reliable person can help me to do the job?

Tks

seriously, not more than 400 is abit hard to get the stuff u wan.......live sand cost abt $50 per pax, n i believe u need abt 4pax. rocks will be ard $5/kg - $16/kg depending on grade......if u gt low budget, try to get those normal sand instead of live sand. rocks can try buying from reefer who decom. salt also depends on ur budget. but if u wan to speed up ur cycling, use nsw....after that use salt mix for water change. never use tap water to mix ur salt, else u going to face alot of algea prob later.

WoW! If I am going to use natural sea water for my new tank(32"x20"x24"), guess need to use more

than 8 jelly can, any LFS/farm can assist me in that?

I tot 2 or at most 3 packet of 20lbs live sand can fill my tank, don't need 4 pks.

When my tank arrive, I need to fill up tap water to the tank and need it run for a day(for cleaning

purpose), drain out all the water before I start the cycling right?

Admiring a well designed Terrarium's garden indoor is like walking thru a garden after a whole day work...

• SRC Member
WoW! If I am going to use natural sea water for my new tank(32"x20"x24"), guess need to use more

I tot 2 or at most 3 packet of 20lbs live sand can fill my tank, don't need 4 pks.

When my tank arrive, I need to fill up tap water to the tank and need it run for a day(for cleaning

depends on ur tank design....usually need to wait 1 day for silicon to cure b4 u put in fresh water to test for leak rather than cleaning.....after that u can drain out if everything is gd. u can ask iwarna for nsw delivery. else u can try getting few pax of normal sand n 1 pax of live sand.

Some LFS do sell NSW in packets.

I use a cloth to wipe down the tank, full up whole tank with water for cleaning purpose is a bit of waste.

Do not like sand, may have maintenance problem in future (algae), and you may have sand dunes if your flow is not directed properly.

• SRC Member

i dont think anything can speed up as bacteria normally take 28 days to be FIGHTING FIT.

Why not take time to prepare , slowly add it one by one.. 28 days later do the test and maybe you are good to go.

Suffer abit and enjoy in the long run (or if you want fun now, you suffer more later).

FOWLR or LPS / SPS.

FOWLR i really recommend coralife salt .. super budget / good imho... 6 red and 1 green can get you 25 KG (1 tub with 3 packets)

else can get iwarna to deliver it to you...

Bro, tahan and tahan, you will enjoy it in the long run.. trust me

wow $400 would get you a tank and barely some equipment dude.

Sand and Live rock do pop up pretty often on the forums here. Try to grab those. Safer if you ask me. Less likelyhood of having unwanted pests in your rocks.

About the cycling.. never try to rush it. I've paid the price in the worst possible way.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

Already spend more than 1k before I even touch the water :(

New 36"x20"x24" tank and cabinet S$750(with sump)

Skimz FR, Aquabee3000 return pump, Aquabee1000 pump for FR,

Ehiem1000 pump for FR - Total S$400

AquaZonic 3ft T5 Highout light fixture, PUR II Carbon for sump,

K3 wavemaker - Total S$240

Additional $450 for NSW, LiveSand, LiveRocks landscapeing works.

Need to hold on to my existing Tunze9002 Skimmer(used for 2mths in

my 2ft tank) cos can't spend 2much...

Will update my tank soon...

• SRC Member
Already spend more than 1k before I even touch the water :(

New 36"x20"x24" tank and cabinet S$750(with sump)

Skimz FR, Aquabee3000 return pump, Aquabee1000 pump for FR,

Ehiem1000 pump for FR - Total S$400

AquaZonic 3ft T5 Highout light fixture, PUR II Carbon for sump,

K3 wavemaker - Total S$240

Additional $450 for NSW, LiveSand, LiveRocks landscapeing works.

Need to hold on to my existing Tunze9002 Skimmer(used for 2mths in

my 2ft tank) cos can't spend 2much...

Will update my tank soon...

SLightly more than 1K is consider very good liao! :rolleyes:

Imagine if u use deltec, or H&S, then Tunze then Arctica chiller, ur setup cost will be more than 5K b4 touching wated!! :eyebrow: