filling up a new 4ft tank ~ 500L + sump use what water ?

pro bro out there

when u fill up a new 4ft tank

do u use like tap water ?

or sea water/ distilled water ?

im currently using tap water with tropuc marine salt mix for me 2ft

can i do the same

alot ppl sy like got chlorine and iron and all kinds of stuff

• SRC Member

i would recommend NSW. They just pump the NSW into your tank, save you the hassle of mixing, cheaper too than salt mix and DI water. Can call Irwana to deliver to you. Saltmix good when you want to change small amount of water.

• SRC Supporter

You can also run the tape water through a RO/DI filter to remove the contamination in the tape water . This will help produce purest water without anything harmful been added to your tank.

• SRC Member

When i resetup my 4x2x2 FOWLR, I filled the tank with tapwater first then treat the tapwater with water conditioner. After that, I slowly add salt to the tank until i get the desired SG. I have the pump & wavemaker running to mix the salt properly.

Do remember to only add in the sand and liverocks after the salt is added and the desired SG is achieved. Mixing salt while the sand is in the tank is a recipe for disaster as the salt can get trapped with the sand and be undissolved. This could raise SG beyond recommended levels overtime.

pro bro out there

when u fill up a new 4ft tank

do u use like tap water ?

or sea water/ distilled water ?

im currently using tap water with tropuc marine salt mix for me 2ft

can i do the same

alot ppl sy like got chlorine and iron and all kinds of stuff

for me i use tap water mix with marine salt and let it run for 1 month..... then u can rockn roll......putting fish..... :)

i would recommend NSW. They just pump the NSW into your tank, save you the hassle of mixing, cheaper too than salt mix and DI water. Can call Irwana to deliver to you. Saltmix good when you want to change small amount of water.

Did my 6 footer as mentioned above. Save the hassle of prep when you will be very busy with other stuffs.

Do remember to check your parameters, see how far it has drifted from the recommended levels.

• SRC Member

borrow your thread bro,

just wondering, anyone uses Prime to tap water before adding salt mix?

Product description

"Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime® converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime® may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime® detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels. Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime® is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime® will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water."