Pairing of clown fishes

sparks1107

Guys, I've a 2inches true percula which is kinda aggressive and already tried pairing it with 1inch true perc twice. In both occasions, the bigger perc tend to bully and chase after the smaller one. Any tips to pair my perc? Do i have to get a bigger one? Cause my tank is only 2ft and dont think a 4inches perc fits in <_<

Am i right to say that my 2inches true perc is a male, and normally the males will tend to be more aggressive?

• SRC Member

Hi Bro

For clown fishes, the bigger one is the female which will be the dominant of the group.

In the wild, normally in a group of clowns, the dominant one is the female. Then the second dominant will be the mating male. The rest of them in that group will remain un-sex till either the dominant female or the dominant male die. If the dominant female die, then the dominant male becomes female and the next dominant un-sex clowns in that gorup will become male. If the dominant male die, then the next dominant un-sex clowns in that gorup will become male.

As you already have a female 2" in your current tank, to make a pair can be quite tough though not impossible. I would suggest you should pair a new pair rather then to find a mate for your current clown.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this help.

• SRC Member

if u can try catching the female out n quarantine it then introduce the male

she obviously dun like to be kao by guys going to her house, then u will have to let her go to the guy's house to kena kao

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

she obviously dun like to be kao by guys going to her house, then u will have to let her go to the guy's house to kena kao

:lol:

Hi Bro

For clown fishes, the bigger one is the female which will be the dominant of the group.

In the wild, normally in a group of clowns, the dominant one is the female. Then the second dominant will be the mating male. The rest of them in that group will remain un-sex till either the dominant female or the dominant male die. If the dominant female die, then the dominant male becomes female and the next dominant un-sex clowns in that gorup will become male. If the dominant male die, then the next dominant un-sex clowns in that gorup will become male.

As you already have a female 2" in your current tank, to make a pair can be quite tough though not impossible. I would suggest you should pair a new pair rather then to find a mate for your current clown.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope this help.

Thanks! Now i learnt new stuff haha :rolleyes:

Looks like she has to be alone. Hurts me to see the male being bully by her :(

• SRC Member

LOL... ithink pairing is more ezier with young ones :eyebrow: ... Mine paired when i put them in my tank... I guess they paired during the journey on my way home, as the person packed them together and are tank bred which also simplify the process... :rolleyes:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

LOL!!!

Hurts me to see the male being bully by her :(

Sadly this dominant female behaviour is observed in human beings too :upsidedown:

I guess they paired during the journey on my way home

LOL, no la they are all stunned and swirling in a plastic bag, no choice but to pair up.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
LOL!!!

Sadly this dominant female behaviour is observed in human beings too :upsidedown:

usually seen if the female earns more then the male

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member
LOL!!!

LOL, no la they are all stunned and swirling in a plastic bag, no choice but to pair up.

Maybe i take back my words... Today saw the female go find the male trouble sia... :lol:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D