Water filter

Hi guy, I am still new to marine fishes and I had been buying mineral water to top my tank. Suddenly I realize that it's getting costly. So can anyone tell me what the cost and brand of a budget water filter, so I can use my tap water to top up my evaporated tank water. Thanks lot lot.

• SRC Supporter

in the long run, you can consider getting a RO/DI water filter unit.. Alternatively, you may also consider order big bottle of mineral water bottle from some of the local water supplier which do home delivery as well which is much cheaper ..

Thanks for ur advice. But what RO/DI water filter? Sorry for my ignorance. However roughly how much would it cost to get a average water filter system? Cuz I need to top up about 1 - 1.5L of mineral water daily. It cost a small hole everyday.

you can try crystal pro (single canister). It will cost around $125 and can be bought in quite a few places. I dunno if there are other cheaper brands (you can check with C328, the fish shop in clementi). If you did not know, RO/DI stands for reverse osmosis / dionisation/deioniser. If you are getting what i recommended, buy the dionising cartriage for it as the main purpose of it is to remove the phosphate and nitrate ions present in the water.

Just went to buy a water filter today. It's a crystal pro 3 canister system. However I got problem with the main inlet adaptor, it seems like it won't fit into any tap in my house. Tried all tap liao. Moreover i accidently broke my washing machine inlet. My mum sure gonna kill me for it.

I look through e forum n found the link on e crystal pro product n fellow reefer had to buy a couple of diff adaptor to make the tube fit in our household tap. Howeve I couldnt manage to understand how it works. Maybe anyone here got other easier method and could share with me? Thanks lot lot.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53990

oh well, i also have trouble afixing the canister to the tap, but have been too lazy to go to the hardware store to do anything about it. You can just hold the inlet of the unit to the tap for the moment to obtain DI water. You should be able to recitfy the problem by going to a hardware store and buying an adapter to connect the inlet to one of your taps. The inlet specs should be: 3/4" garden hose connection with faucet adapter and 3/8" presure tubing. You can bring the unit to the hardware store to try out the adapter.

Finally manage to get the adaptor for my tap. Now the problem is that my crystal pro canister is leaking.. Dun feel like putting the white tape leh. Moreover, only 1 canister is leaking. All super tight liao, if tighter somemore, think the plastic would crack. Any facing the same problem also?

maybe you would like to bring back the unit where you bought it to change.. cheaper doesn't really mean good some time, if you are serious in this hobby, it is better to get a good piece of equipment which can last you a long time without the headache of leaking.. just my 2 cents.. :)

• SRC Member
Finally manage to get the adaptor for my tap. Now the problem is that my crystal pro canister is leaking.. Dun feel like putting the white tape leh. Moreover, only 1 canister is leaking. All super tight liao, if tighter somemore, think the plastic would crack. Any facing the same problem also?

check if the o ring is in place.....i use that for 2 yrs liao still no leaking

• SRC Member
maybe you would like to bring back the unit where you bought it to change.. cheaper doesn't really mean good some time, if you are serious in this hobby, it is better to get a good piece of equipment which can last you a long time without the headache of leaking.. just my 2 cents.. :)

totally agreed. especially china brands and ang mo brands but made in china. they are much cheaper, consume more energy and not very long lasting.

Oh well, i heard that other, more expensive brands of di units cost $300 or so. In my POV, if you want to build a budget tank, getting i DI is essential, but there is no need to splurge on german brands as DI units have no moving parts, and hence, no MTBF. Things that you should spend your money on will be things like protein skimmers and your tank itself. Your problem with the DI is due to manafacturing defects, unless you dropped it and will most likely be recitfied with another trip down to the fish shop to ask for replacement or fixing. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for ur advice. But what RO/DI water filter? Sorry for my ignorance. However roughly how much would it cost to get a average water filter system? Cuz I need to top up about 1 - 1.5L of mineral water daily. It cost a small hole everyday.

I would advise against using RO water if budget is your concern. A good RO unit is rather ex and unknown to many (I think), the RO process will create a lot of waste water.

Only a percentage of processed water can be used, the rest are considered as 'waste'. I collect those 'waste' water to wash clothes ;)

• SRC Member

i've got a question....

is there a big difference in crystal pro (single canister) and the crystal pro (3 canister) system???

is single canister sufficient enough to remove those unwated stuff from our tap water???

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
i've got a question....

is there a big difference in crystal pro (single canister) and the crystal pro (3 canister) system???

is single canister sufficient enough to remove those unwated stuff from our tap water???

hmmm.. any comments on this???

thinking of getting one soon....

the idea of dragging 10 bottles of distilled water from NTUC always puts me off....

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member
guess single one will need replacement faster. understand that need to run the tap water through charcoal before into the resin. otherwise the resin wont last long.

hmmm.. but water quality would more or less be the same right?

only need to replace the internal stuff more frequently...

Carpe Diem~!!!