DIY skimmer project

reef999

I am in progress of setting up another 2ft cube FOWLR tank.

Because the tank located in my living room, so i am not planning to use chiller.

This DIY skimmer is a out sump type which less heat transfer from the pump to tank water.

The skimmer body is using 3mm thickness PVC sheet roll up using hot air gun and welded using PVC.

Here's the spec of this skimmer:

Skimmer: Diameter 7", Body height 13", total height with skimmer collection cup 18".

Due to my cabinet height limitation. Maximum height can only up to 18" only. :erm:

Pump: Hailea 1750L/Hr x 2pcs

Here's the picture before assembly. The outflow PVC pipe not yet cut to actual length because still under leak test.

Skimmer1.jpg

Leak test with freshwater, both pump on for an hour. Also tested the water temperature using a digital thermometer.

Skimmertestrun.jpg

My goodness, the water temperature shoot up to 36.6 degree!!! :shock:

temperature.jpg

Wonder what temperature will be for my tank without chiller or fan.

I am planning to use gravity feed rather than another feeder pump for this skimmer.

Also planning for a out sump return pump as well. Any advise welcome.

Hi bro for so long nvr hear from u liao how's ur tank doing able to update the tread and photo

by the way u does not need to worry too much on the temp water circulation will make the temp to be lower it won't be as 36.6

i've a 2ft tank for QT just running on one pump RIO 8 for skimmer and return for ISO temp= 31-32 max on hot weather

if urs is going to be a overflow use RIO 10-12, belive so if without lighting max temp will just be bout 30 a fan will be better chioce

as for ur skimmer having 2 pump wow that's a heavy type of skimmer means one pump should do the job

you may consider ice-probe from reef depot if u going to keep coral or DIY one

• SRC Member

skimmer seems too small to be using 2 pumps. 1750l/hr is abit too much for this size already. think u might wan to change ur pump to a single smaller unit. juz take a look at deltec skimmer ap701. the skimmer is alot bigger than ur diy but it using onli a 1260?

• SRC Member

skimmer seems too small to be using 2 pumps. 1750l/hr is abit too much for this size already. think u might wan to change ur pump to a single smaller unit. juz take a look at deltec skimmer ap701. the skimmer is alot bigger than ur diy but it using onli a 1260?

Agree with you the bubbles may break immaturely at the surface... :unsure:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

Hi bro for so long nvr hear from u liao how's ur tank doing able to update the tread and photo

by the way u does not need to worry too much on the temp water circulation will make the temp to be lower it won't be as 36.6

i've a 2ft tank for QT just running on one pump RIO 8 for skimmer and return for ISO temp= 31-32 max on hot weather

if urs is going to be a overflow use RIO 10-12, belive so if without lighting max temp will just be bout 30 a fan will be better chioce

as for ur skimmer having 2 pump wow that's a heavy type of skimmer means one pump should do the job

you may consider ice-probe from reef depot if u going to keep coral or DIY one

Hi, i did update the tank few days ago.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...40&start=40

Hopefully the temperature can maintain below 30 degree. Probably will using fan to lower the temp.

As for the skimmer, Will see how it goes.

Agree with you the bubbles may break immaturely at the surface... :unsure:

I will try out the skimmer 1st and let you all know the result. If the pump is too strong i'll probably only using 1 pump to run it.

• SRC Member
Hi, i did update the tank few days ago.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...40&start=40

Hopefully the temperature can maintain below 30 degree. Probably will using fan to lower the temp.

As for the skimmer, Will see how it goes.

I will try out the skimmer 1st and let you all know the result. If the pump is too strong i'll probably only using 1 pump to run it.

imo 1 pump is already too strong. my ex grotech skimmer is also bigger than urs by at least 2 times. but also using a 1250 pump nia.

• 3 months later...