Recommended Equipment & Cost

seamonkee

• SRC Member

I spent more than $500 on GF pipings including machining 12 true tank buckheads to fit the GF din standard sizing! GF doesn't have proper tank buckheads or tank adapters. They use couple fittings as tank adapters, imo not secure. with $$ spent, it is all worth it. you get a neat and consistent look and you save space! a DIN elbow fitting is physically 1/2 the size of the normal JIS(light grey) or Sch80 elbow fitting!!

• SRC Member
I don't recall my friend having to machine the bulkheads. hmm.

either that or he did it without telling me. :P

No, GF S'pore don;t have buckheads!! what they use is not a buckhead but couple fittings - 2 pcs of socket fitting, one with male threads, the other female. A buckhead uses only 1 male threaded fitting with broad flange. a flange nut is used to sandwich the tank wall and tighten the connection! I bought some proper sch80 Hayward buckheads and machined the sch80 holes to fit DIN stanards.

opps getting off topic

:off:

• SRC Member

Hi,

using an o-ring & a layer of silicon will seal both connector. Most impt is the hole is cut to right size & o-ring.

Its true that pipes are pipes. It depend on one budget or wat kind of quality & standard they expecting.

For me, since spending so much on the setup, might as well get a gd one. Overall, it makes the tank worth more value.

Wei :)

• SRC Member

High cc as in like cars. a 1600 eat petrol but a jag is 4200 eat even more petrol!!! = high maintainence costs!!

Oh! and I thot CC means "Chow Ch**".... :lol::D:lol:

GF piping... honestly, I dunno my Os from my buckhead holes.. so terryansimon and alvy... I will need your help then... Thanks anyway....

Who is good at piping design? Anyone I can ask around here... I see so many sump piping designs until I blur liao...

Well, for the cabinet, since u r moving into ur new house, ask the interior designer to design one for u. Or wat I do is that I give him the design that I want and he build it for me. But make sure his carpenter is good cause the weight of a 5' tank is no joke! Else u may end up with a swimming pool. :P

• SRC Member
Well, for the cabinet, since u r moving into ur new house, ask the interior designer to design one for u. Or wat I do is that I give him the design that I want and he build it for me. But make sure his carpenter is good cause the weight of a 5' tank is no joke! Else u may end up with a swimming pool. :P

That's what I am thinking about too... hhmppph, ideally, I hope to get someone who is a designer ###### carpenter ###### reefer? Know of anyone like this in existence?

I prefer a one-stop person who can help in my design, give advice on the cabinet design and build and lastly, who does it with reef knowledge in mind... More importantly, someone who can help me in designing the pipings, waterflow and all...

I know nuts about sump designs and would love to engage the services of someone who can oversee and help me out here...

• SRC Member

i major in architecture and i do a bit of interior design and i do diy lots of stuff from skimmer to cal reactor to lightings! hehe i can build a tank and SS stand from scratch. and i can design piping system and sump as well and i can even do computer lighting and rendering simulation for final outlook of product. Do i fit the bill?? :whistle

• SRC Member
wah......bidding for tank projects...hahahaha :pirate:

At this rate, must open for tender liao...

Thanks brudders... I will remember u all when I start my tank project...

• SRC Member
how come so many of you can find gf(the women, not the pipes) who gives more than they take(apparently)?? is it the norm nowadays or am i the only one being short changed?? :erm:

I live by the motto:

1) If I am not born rich, I have a chance of striking rich

2) If I didn't strike rich, my last resort is to marry someone rich!

Also,

If you are born with a poor father, it's your fate!

If you have a poor father-in-law, it's your stupidity!

:lol::D:lol:

Yo bro, you lucky guy. Piece of advise, do it early before your gf change her mind since nemo craze is almost over.

Me not bidding for project here, but to share how I did it. You should start looking for a carpenter or sturdy cabinet first, then tailor your tank. Most ppl started the other way round. Or sometime they buy tank n cabinet together from same LFS. Honest, whoever sells tank cannot give you a good sturdy cabinet or vice-versa.

I am into Indonesian teak furniture and chanced upon Mirage Teak at Demsey rd. They're having 55% sale til Jan. Bought a 25 X 50 inches cab for $800, good buy. Then I went on to ask a glass merchant to build the tank. 25 X 50 X 27H using 15mm glass...paid $1.6k. That's also good buy.

i major in architecture and i do a bit of interior design and i do diy lots of stuff from skimmer to cal reactor to lightings! hehe i can build a tank and SS stand from scratch. and i can design piping system and sump as well and i can even do computer lighting and rendering simulation for final outlook of product. Do i fit the bill?? :whistle

Sounds commercial.... :whistle

• SRC Member
how come so many of you can find gf(the women, not the pipes) who gives more than they take(apparently)?? is it the norm nowadays or am i the only one being short changed??  :erm:

Same here...

Used to have gf who choose clothings and wait at counter for me. If she is the same one in your avatar, I dont mind. :lol:

Pay for my marine tank?? impossible.

That's what I am thinking about too... hhmppph, ideally, I hope to get someone who is a designer ###### carpenter ###### reefer? Know of anyone like this in existence?

I prefer a one-stop person who can help in my design, give advice on the cabinet design and build and lastly, who does it with reef knowledge in mind... More importantly, someone who can help me in designing the pipings, waterflow and all...

I know nuts about sump designs and would love to engage the services of someone who can oversee and help me out here...

My new house is designed by Ink Image at Stamford Road. One of the boss is very much in into marine aquarium. He designed my 5' cabinet for me.

Their website is http://www.ink-image.com

;)