My 1.5 ft Reef log

jackywongto

Hehe... I like your space looking hamster home. How are you managing in keeping the smell in check? There are so many small openings to clean. Wouldn't it be difficult when it comes to maintenance?

The good thing with this series of habitrail is that the hamster scent does not disperse out. It is contained within the cage.. unless you put your nostrils next to the ventilation holes and take a deep breath. I wash a small section each week. just a small tube or funnel. Not the whole thing. So far still manageable. Get those pet antiseptic spray and you can maintain it quite easily.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Supporter
:thanks: The only problem I have now is that the glare is hitting straight at my girls eyes when she looks up.

Will see how's the situation when the tank is filled up. If it is hurting her eyes, then I would need to build a hood to block out the light.

Cannot have open tank anymore :(

Ouch, thats gonna hurt little kids' eyes. Yeah, better play safe for the kids.... pity if cannot have an open tank... I love open tank concept too!!!!

• SRC Member
Ouch, thats gonna hurt little kids' eyes. Yeah, better play safe for the kids.... pity if cannot have an open tank... I love open tank concept too!!!!

How about a little stool for her to stand on? better still, build a small platform for her :) Love your powering up ceremony ^_^

How about a little stool for her to stand on? better still, build a small platform for her :) Love your powering up ceremony ^_^

It is when she is about 3 ft away from the tank, when she looks up, it the MH glare into her eyes directly. Hmmm Maybe I get her to wear 5 inch high heels.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

So damn busy over the last 2 days.... girl fell sick, Tunze reefpack arrived, Blackie escape from cage, then cutie's head (another hamster) got stuck in a small hole......... I was so worried that he will kill himself. Luckily I managed to get him to force his head out by repeatedly blowing at his face. Phew....

ANyway back to my tank ,,, Tunze Reefpack finally came.

Connected it separately with the Tunze cleaner at the left side and skimmer on the right side to make more space.

Sorry for the bad photo... quite tired today and too lazy to retake :P

This is a sharper shot.

Ok I give up.... My wife walk past, saw this pic and ask.... what is that?

I utterly failed........

Tunze Cleaner, I have got cotton wool and Pur II inside.

Tunze 9002 skimmer cup.

Side view.

Really good to put it in this orientation. Saves a lot of space.

only 2 - 3 inch space taken along the width of the tank.

1 packet of sand too little. 2 packet too much......

Need to get rid of some. Let me know if any of you need. FOC.

I need to remove about half a pack.

Got some rocks from Sisreefer and H Mania. :thanks:

Just dump them into the tank 1st. need to get a couple more when I do the scaping.

The tank is still pretty cloudy. Still needs a couple of hours to clear up I think.

wow we have a glassboxdesign in the making here! Just that this is Acrylic Box Design! great looking tank you have there Jacky! Love your blue shots, keep it coming!

Thanks!

I think the blue-ness is because of the 20k bulb.

Now when I switch on the light, my imac screen looks yellowish.

I need to check the camera manual how to do the white balance though.

Yay! Water, sand & rocks! ^_^

Yah... almost 8 weeks after I got my tank made. Longest wait ever.....

need to go hunt some more live rocks now.....

• SRC Member
YAY ... My first FTS...... (see that Comy LOL)

Simply love ur open concept, nice and neat outlook :)

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

Simply love ur open concept, nice and neat outlook :)

Thanks for the encouragement bro!

More items that need to be installed.

Will do it together with my MP 10 when it gets here this week.

Hi bro,

Nice tank you have there. How is the Tunze Reefpack performance? I heard that it needed a stable water level to work properly.

A little review will be nice. hehe.

Hey hi Zanzan, how did you check out Henkabe Plastics?

Regarding the Reefpack - Dunno yet. I just set it up yesterday.

The rocks are from neighbouring reefers so not much dieoffs.

No livestock and no market prawn in my fridge. ( I am allergic to prawns lol)

Maybe I will throw in some fish food later tonight.

Only assessment now is that for the cleaner, it has a decent size for the media. Much bigger than the media rack for red sea skimmer.

I can put an entire pack of Pur II (the smaller container version) and still have space for some cotton above and below the bag of pur II.

When you want to clean the cotton wool in it, even after you have switch off the power, when you remove the wool as quick as you can, some "dirt" will still leak back into the tank. This was maddness when I just put the black live sand into the tank. (For those who has not used this sand, the whole tank turns muddy when you pour the black sand in and this takes a few hrs to clear.) The wool was so muddy that the minute I remove it, the dirt/mud from the remnant water int eh cleaner was escaping back into the tank. Still figuring out a way to prevent this. But the pump is really silent. I am running it at 800lph but it is so quiet that I am not sure if it is running. Currently I am driving the outlet to my chiller so that I can have 1 less pump in the tank.

The skimmer is leaking some very fine micro bubbles in the tank. Instruction booklet says this is normal and it will clear up after 2 - 3 days.

I can hear some noise from the collection cup though. "bubble whistling" sound. No waste collection yet of course due to the facts mentioned above and the large amount of live sand in it. Will provide more feedback after next week. Will be getting some live rocks and prob a firefish soon. Then we can see some action.

wow bro looks like you're bringing in all the high tech equipment! :)

So I assume you are planning to get the Tunze osmolator?

Not high tech lah friend..... High tech = computers, controllers not monitors.

Go and see H. Mania tank and that is high tech.

mine is just some decent and basic stuff which I think I will need based on my maintenance time availability and husbandry skills.

Also Nano tank's (worsen by the fact that it is sumpless) volume is so small that water conditions changes so fast.

Need some help in alerting me something is wrong. At least I can perform manual checks once the alarm is raised.

I am trying to do without ATO. I am okay to top up water manually 2 x a day.

Also thinking of DIYing a very small FW drip dox to compensate for the evaporation loss so I can have 1 eqpt less.