cycling the tank

• SRC Member
what happens if you don't cycle the tank?

If you really SUPER DUPER lucky. without cycling, your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates are 0, then nothing will happen... :D

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

buy live rock.

buy live sand

dose bacteria

wait for 1 month doing the ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate test

you can enjoy few years of stable tank and not regret

1) Wasting $$ to let the fishes die

2) Enjoy/relax knowing that the fitration is good

• Senior Reefer

one of the most important aspects of starting a new tank is CYCLING. regardless of how old ur rocks, sand everything are. if you have no patience to cycle, you most likely will not have patience for anythign else in the rest of ur reefing journey. take this cycling period as a mental test of ur patience.

u want to cycle hours, days, weeks, up to you. the longer the better. Not only will cycling longer help to stablalise ur tank, it will give chance and time for beneficial liveforms to proliferate on ur rocks and tank. beneficial pods and macroalgae will grow during the time u choose to wait.

yea.. i cycled my tank for 1 month+ although ammonia and nitrite were always 0 when i test for them. this way bacteria has a chance to stablise and form according to ur system. and also sometimes organisms on rocks dun die immediately but after a few days. tts why cycling do not take HOURS but at least 1-2 weeks.

Hooked since March 2009

• SRC Member
If you really SUPER DUPER lucky. without cycling, your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates are 0, then nothing will happen... :D

That's actually bad advice. If I have an empty tank, and don't cycle it, all pollutants will be zero too. In fact the first couple days of cycling, very likely to be zero too.. some newbies will actually test on day 2, see a zero on their test kit, then take that as a sign that their tank is super bullet proof tok kong, and go throw in 10 fishes the following day.

It actually worries me that for every newbie responsible enough to seek out advice, there could be 10 or more who silently don't have the patience to do things the right way.

what happens if you don't cycle the tank?

Anyway, I'm not fishing for praise or a "well done" when I say this, but I have received several PMs over the months from other newbies who ask me how I keep my tank so clean of algae and nutrients. The answer is always, patience and proper cycling. Seriously, a little patience in the beginning will pay out in the long run.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
not sure if he posted this just for fun....or to kill time... :whistle

School holidays come early this year? Waste my time typing the reply above. Duncan, you owe me 5 minutes of my life - I even proof read my post for typo okay. :angry2:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

School holidays come early this year? Waste my time typing the reply above. Duncan, you owe me 5 minutes of my life - I even proof read my post for typo okay. :angry2:

give him benefit of doubt lor... maybe he really don't know...

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
give him benefit of doubt lor... maybe he really don't know...

:bow: someday when I grow up, I hope to be blessed with your sense of tolerance :peace:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

:bow: someday when I grow up, I hope to be blessed with your sense of tolerance :peace:

im sorry if you thought differently but i had to study because i have exams coming so i was not on my com for the night so please Don't be so bad and also i was serious about this topic because i had a FOWLR which lasted about two months before everything died because (at that time i never knew about this forum and the kind people here willing to help) i did not cycle the tank

HOOKED BUT TIGHT BUDGET

im sorry if you thought differently but i had to study because i have exams coming so i was not on my com for the night so please Don't be so bad and also i was serious about this topic because i had a FOWLR which lasted about two months before everything died because (at that time i never knew about this forum and the kind people here willing to help) i did not cycle the tank

Ok.. lesson learnt and move on.

For reef tank, it is important to cycle for a period of time to get the water parameters stable before adding any livestocks.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

ok since this is a genuine question:

Cycling the tank.

When you start up a new tank, your tank do not have all the benificial bacterial.

Cycling basically means getting the tank to reach the equilibrium of having sufficent bacterial to break down ammonia (bad) -> nitrite (bad)-> nitrate (not so bad) as fast as they are produced.

When you introduce the 1st fish (or some ppl use market prawn) in the tank, it will produce waste and ammonia will build up in the tank due to the lack of the 1st stage bacterial. Over days, the bacterial will slowly build up and ammonia concentration will decline but nitrite will start to increase. When the 1st stage bacterial are fully established, ammonia will be processed as fast as the fishes are producing it.

At this stage nitrite will start to peak. Nitrite is also very toxic to the fishes. Again we have to wait for another batch of bacterials to grow in population to bring nitrite level down. When this bacterials are sufficient in numbers, the nitrate will boom so slowly nitrite will be undetectable.

when nitrite is eliminated, the tank is cycled. equilibrium is reached. This takes approximately 4 weeks.

The resultant nitrate is not as harmful to fishes. Large concentration of it does harm the fish well being and they might be more susceptible to disease. Reqular water change will help keep the nitrate level in check. Growing Mangrooves, installing denitrators, having deep sand bed will help too to keep nitrate level within acceptable levels.

Now when you add new fishes, the balance is offset again. more fishes = more waste = need time to let the bacterial grow again.

So even after tank is cycled, it depends how many fishes you add at one time. If you add several at one time and several again a week later, the bacterial will not be able to populate and break down the ammonia and nitrite in time and fishes die. That is why ppl say go slow, go slow :)

Give the bacterial time to be established in your tank. Each time the equilibrium is offsetted (whether by introduction of new fishes/corals, increase in feeding frequency or quantity, dead fish/ corals unremoved) you need to give time to tank to balance the ecology system.

hope this help.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Supporter

some people in the past often use market prawn to the new tank to kick start cycling, the rotting market prawn will cause ammonia spike and so on. like the above bros mention, so i wouldnt go into that.

the reason is because some tanks have ammonia that couldnt really be detected and the spike in ammonia will give u a guide range via the test kit. 0 ammonia and all doesnt mean its ready or finish cycling, it may not have taken place YET.

try to get your desire level on the parameters first. once livestock goes in, you wil have a hard time adjusting it then.

Gdluck.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

some people in the past often use market prawn to the new tank to kick start cycling, the rotting market prawn will cause ammonia spike and so on. like the above bros mention, so i wouldnt go into that.

the reason is because some tanks have ammonia that couldnt really be detected and the spike in ammonia will give u a guide range via the test kit. 0 ammonia and all doesnt mean its ready or finish cycling, it may not have taken place YET.

try to get your desire level on the parameters first. once livestock goes in, you wil have a hard time adjusting it then.

Gdluck.

ya... dead prawns, a bit of urine..

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

dun think bro dino mean to be bad or whatever, you will soon found out that he's a friendly guy whom is more then willing to share his knowledge on reefing and hopefully some occasional frags! =]

since you have your exams coming, you can let your tank cycle till ur exams are over and reward yourself with some shopping at LFS once your exams are over and your cycling is completed. There are many comprehensive write up on cycling which can be easily obtain from online.. in fact bro jacky have already given a good summary on it already with the other bros adding their 2 cents to it as well...

For your benefit and more time to study.. check out the links below..

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/cycling.shtml

http://fishinsects.suite101.com/article.cf...marine_aquarium

http://www.fishchannel.com/saltwater-aquar...re/cycling.aspx

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/startinga...er_Aquarium.htm

hope this helps.. =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

I usually cycle by throwing in fish food inside the tank.I just use freshwater fish food(because i feed my neon tetras with the food) as they're cheap.

girlone.png

ok since this is a genuine question:

Cycling the tank.

When you start up a new tank, your tank do not have all the benificial bacterial.

Cycling basically means getting the tank to reach the equilibrium of having sufficent bacterial to break down ammonia (bad) -> nitrite (bad)-> nitrate (not so bad) as fast as they are produced.

When you introduce the 1st fish (or some ppl use market prawn) in the tank, it will produce waste and ammonia will build up in the tank due to the lack of the 1st stage bacterial. Over days, the bacterial will slowly build up and ammonia concentration will decline but nitrite will start to increase. When the 1st stage bacterial are fully established, ammonia will be processed as fast as the fishes are producing it.

At this stage nitrite will start to peak. Nitrite is also very toxic to the fishes. Again we have to wait for another batch of bacterials to grow in population to bring nitrite level down. When this bacterials are sufficient in numbers, the nitrate will boom so slowly nitrite will be undetectable.

when nitrite is eliminated, the tank is cycled. equilibrium is reached. This takes approximately 4 weeks.

The resultant nitrate is not as harmful to fishes. Large concentration of it does harm the fish well being and they might be more susceptible to disease. Reqular water change will help keep the nitrate level in check. Growing Mangrooves, installing denitrators, having deep sand bed will help too to keep nitrate level within acceptable levels.

Now when you add new fishes, the balance is offset again. more fishes = more waste = need time to let the bacterial grow again.

So even after tank is cycled, it depends how many fishes you add at one time. If you add several at one time and several again a week later, the bacterial will not be able to populate and break down the ammonia and nitrite in time and fishes die. That is why ppl say go slow, go slow :)

Give the bacterial time to be established in your tank. Each time the equilibrium is offsetted (whether by introduction of new fishes/corals, increase in feeding frequency or quantity, dead fish/ corals unremoved) you need to give time to tank to balance the ecology system.

hope this help.

thanks for the help i really appreciate you spending so much time typing such a long thing and instead of using market prawns can you use a couple of dead fish?

HOOKED BUT TIGHT BUDGET

• SRC Member
thanks for the help i really appreciate you spending so much time typing such a long thing and instead of using market prawns can you use a couple of dead fish?

U can use anything that will rot in the aquarium actually. What you want to do is to create an amnonia spike to start your cycling process.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
dun think bro dino mean to be bad or whatever

Haha, I don't think I mean to be bad too. I wish I was that hardcore, but I find it hard to be bad on purpose. I was half joking in the earlier post about wasting my time cos I was replying from my phone in the toilet. You guys probably took it a bit out of context cos I was too shy to mention that I was reading SRC while.. erm.. delivering packages. You know how fricking small the keypads are on smart phones?!! Type so much rubbish with my fat fingers making typos every few letters and end up finding out that it was probably a prank. Hahahaha :upsidedown:

Duncanl36, if your topic was meant to take us for a ride (considering the other thread), I think anyone would be angry too, since cycling of the tank is a topic that is asked at least once every month, despite the search function and FAQ sticky. I mentioned 2 pages earlier that you seem responsible enough to ask about cycling instead of silently making mistakes, I give you credit for that. Peace. :peace:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
Haha, I don't think I mean to be bad too. I wish I was that hardcore, but I find it hard to be bad on purpose. I was half joking in the earlier post about wasting my time cos I was replying from my phone in the toilet. You guys probably took it a bit out of context cos I was too shy to mention that I was reading SRC while.. erm.. delivering packages. You know how fricking small the keypads are on smart phones?!! Type so much rubbish with my fat fingers making typos every few letters and end up finding out that it was probably a prank. Hahahaha :upsidedown:

Duncanl36, if your topic was meant to take us for a ride (considering the other thread), I think anyone would be angry too, since cycling of the tank is a topic that is asked at least once every month, despite the search function and FAQ sticky. I mentioned 2 pages earlier that you seem responsible enough to ask about cycling instead of silently making mistakes, I give you credit for that. Peace. :peace:

Now you are not shy...?

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.