Reefez kalk and calcium plus

FuEl

I have noticed that Reefez kalkwasser comprises 98% of calcium hydroxide with a small percentage of calcium carbonate.

Reefez Calcium plus..comprises mainly of calcium chloride, magnesium chloride..and strontium (ahaha..finally got the spelling right) chloride.

So my question is....do we need to dose these 2 products together? Will dosing calcium plus alone have any effect on the ionic balance of our marine water since there are chloride ions involved?

I feel like changing to calcium plus..but I'm still unsure if I should. :unsure:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Kalkwasser provides alkalinity and calcium in a balanced 1:1 ratio, so your ionic balance wont get out of whack. disadvantage is that the amount of calcium supplied is usually not enough to raise (or perhaps even maintain calcium levels) in a moderately calcium-consuming tank.

Calcium chloride will raise your calcium levels very fast and efficiently. The problem is that with the rapidly raised calcium levels, your alkalinity levels will take a dive. So to add the two in a balanced ratio and to maintain the correct ratio, you also need to add a buffer (carbonates and bicarbonates) product like Seachem Reef buffer to raise the alkalinity levels too.

• 6 months later...

manage to come by this thread so was wondering, what is the amount of each and buffer to add?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Measure your current alk and cal levels.

Dose accordingly to raise it up to your desired levels.

There is a limit to how much you can dose in a day or you'll cause stress to your corals/cause calcium precipitation/cause water ionic imbalance eg. your alk or ph could drop.