Zorden Shallow tank

zorden

Macrovan i want a wider tank but after considering the EOS my tank can only be 2ft wide + 5 inch EOS.. ofcoz this will give a minimalist touch but on a smaller scale. well IOS tend to be not so natural but ofcoz IOS will aloow me to have more space 2.5ft wide tank.

well yeap, that's kinda true. A long and narrow tank is hard to give the depth or minimalist touch. So way to go zorden! :D

Keep it up! I'm WATCHING! *grins :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well. lets wait for Guru ED. Wait for his teachings. LOL

Well he was based in SG now in china. Maybe in the future he will return to SG and chiong with us..

WOOT! Ed Reef is Singaporean!? I thought he is an American! :X

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

I have booked my tank.. 3.5'x2'x2' braceless with external overflow. Almost quite similar except the height.. Wanted to give the fishes more space to roam around.. Should be able to tell u in 2 weeks time whether there will be salt creeps.. But i will not get into SPS (hopefully i can stop myself) so will not be having very high turnover (so hopefully not so much of splashing).. Btw, i will be using a BK SM250 and i am also wondering whether i will overskim but unlike my previous setup (then was mainly SPS) i hope to be able to feed the fishes freely this time round!! We can definitely share some experiences moving forward. :rolleyes:

I have booked my tank.. 3.5'x2'x2' braceless with external overflow. Almost quite similar except the height.. Wanted to give the fishes more space to roam around.. Should be able to tell u in 2 weeks time whether there will be salt creeps.. But i will not get into SPS (hopefully i can stop myself) so will not be having very high turnover (so hopefully not so much of splashing).. Btw, i will be using a BK SM250 and i am also wondering whether i will overskim but unlike my previous setup (then was mainly SPS) i hope to be able to feed the fishes freely this time round!! We can definitely share some experiences moving forward. :rolleyes:

almost the same dimension as zorden's except for the height right?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

there is no such thing of over skim accordingly to click me

well ofcoz during feeding of those "tonic" to your coral its good to switch off skimmer. :)

i might try to use the digital timer to stop the skimmer while those "tonic" are dispense out.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

chambi where are u going to place your skimmer? in the sump? or external cabinet?

i may be doing an external cabinet to hold the CR, dosing pumps, skimmer and other equipment.

Prefer to have more support space. for ease of maintenance.

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
Ya. Except the height and my overflow is on the left instead of behind.. Want to get away from hood to ease maintenance and should look neater.. :)

show me more picture of your planning.

chambi where are u going to place your skimmer? in the sump? or external cabinet?

i may be doing an external cabinet to hold the CR, dosing pumps, skimmer and other equipment.

Prefer to have more support space. for ease of maintenance.

I want simple this time round and less things to worry so though not the most ideal/efficient, i decided to have a big sump (very simple design) and everything from return pumps, FR to skimmer sitting within the sump.. My plan is not to have auto top up (hopefully the sump is big enough that i only top up once a week which will be no diff vs filling up the top up box since the location can't connect directly to a water supply source).. No CR (but may need GHL or Grotech dosing pumps ultimately)..

If you have the space, dun hesitate! Go for more support space.. Definitely worth it. I have packed everything so nicely in the past that maintenance is a big problem. But having said that, i am still trying to squeeze everything in given i have limited space..

I hate to on/off the skimmer regularly.. Some how for whatever reason, there will likely be incidence that it will overflow when restart. I rather waste some "tonic" then go through those potential hassles.. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

well actually orh. for our small thing GHL dsing good enuff liao. but i still "hiao" end up procuring a CR from nimsg. Will collect it from it once my tank up.

I want simple this time round and less things to worry so though not the most ideal/efficient, i decided to have a big sump (very simple design) and everything from return pumps, FR to skimmer sitting within the sump.. My plan is not to have auto top up (hopefully the sump is big enough that i only top up once a week which will be no diff vs filling up the top up box since the location can't connect directly to a water supply source).. No CR (but may need GHL or Grotech dosing pumps ultimately)..

If you have the space, dun hesitate! Go for more support space.. Definitely worth it. I have packed everything so nicely in the past that maintenance is a big problem. But having said that, i am still trying to squeeze everything in given i have limited space..

I hate to on/off the skimmer regularly.. Some how for whatever reason, there will likely be incidence that it will overflow when restart. I rather waste some "tonic" then go through those potential hassles.. :rolleyes:

Agree, don't try to make everything dimension so tight. leave some buffer.

Why don't consider keeping skimmer and FR outside of sump? reason is because the sump will be dirty over time and it is difficult to clean the skimmers / eqpt & sump later.

Keeping skimmer outside also preserves the external condition of the eqpt.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member

Why don't consider keeping skimmer and FR outside of sump? reason is because the sump will be dirty over time and it is difficult to clean the skimmers / eqpt & sump later.

Agreed. External skimmer, external pump, everything external. easy to maintain and also less heat generated.

• SRC Member

Agreed. that why i am giving an additional option to "EXTEND" my cabinet.

well actually i might do a smaller cabinet beside my tank cabinet and use it as a SEAT to aid me in my pull ups. (well there is a pull up bar beside the tank)

its very messy de. my room super messy....

Agreed. that why i am giving an additional option to "EXTEND" my cabinet.

well actually i might do a smaller cabinet beside my tank cabinet and use it as a SEAT to aid me in my pull ups. (well there is a pull up bar beside the tank)

its very messy de. my room super messy....

If you wall links to the outside room, then can drill a wall and let your pipe run through the wall.

Then house all eqpt in the cabinet outside hehe.....

Agreed. External skimmer, external pump, everything external. easy to maintain and also less heat generated.

I had tried external RD pump and external FR and my conclusion is heat aside, nothing beat sitting inside the sump. There are many occasions that i thought i will only need 5mins to clean up or maintain this or that but ended up with disaster (1-2hrs of hardwork) such as overflow, leak, valve never tighten properly etc.. Anyway this is just my own bad experiences.. :paiseh:

• SRC Member

Did tot of that but i might get a death sentence from my parents. :)

well i intend to drill one hole for the aircon liao. i know its overkill to have a 1hp compressor for my tank.

• SRC Member

yah a quick one. can someone advise me what will be the running cost of let say aircon compressor - chiller (1hp) for my 3.5x2x1.5 tank?

well... need to factor the running cost..

• SRC Member

OCR 6500 is 1600+ gph

ehiem 1262 900 gph

my tank is around 70 - 80 galloon

shld which is sufficient. I don want to keep a washing machine in my ro0m. :)