Natural Sea Water

Xtrader

• SRC Member
I intend to start my new tank with natural sea water and eventually changing with natural sea water too, is that a good idea?

Perfectly normal to use NSW. Check the water parameters and dose accordingly if you require higher CA, Mg etc. levels in future.

• SRC Member

a UV sterilizer will help to deal with some unwelcoming pathogens for NSW which is hard to avoid considering that it is "natural"

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

i started my tank with NSW, maintain it with NSW... totally no problem at all..

just that from time to time, have to check the parameters and add the necessary accordingly

cheers and have a happy reefing days

My 3ft tank

Dimension --> 3ftx1.5ftx2ft

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Tunze 6055 + 7091 single controller

EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W

Royal Exclusive Mini BubbleKing 160

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

02x Giesemann T5 39watt (blue + Actinic)

Deltec 501 CR

The only real issue with using NSW aside from possible pathogens or contamination, is you need to lug it around, for larger tanks its really not practical.

You need to make sure you maintain water change discipline, which can be a lot harder when you have to

lug potentially 50kg - 100kg of water around every few weeks or month.

• SRC Member
The only real issue with using NSW aside from possible pathogens or contamination, is you need to lug it around, for larger tanks its really not practical.

You need to make sure you maintain water change discipline, which can be a lot harder when you have to

lug potentially 50kg - 100kg of water around every few weeks or month.

for bigger vol of water, i think it's easier to ask them to deliver to u. carrying large vol of nsw hm is no joke....of cos that will cost more, but i rather pay more than to break my back..lol

• SRC Member
I intend to start my new tank with natural sea water and eventually changing with natural sea water too, is that a good idea?

i tried using salt mix vs nsw to cycle tank n found that nsw produce better result.....my first tank was done with nsw n no cycling done. within 1 day of setting up, i dump fishes n corals in n yet in 3 mths, nothing in my tank died. my next tank was cycled with salt mixed. cycled for 1 mth n changed 50% of water b4 i dump in fishes n corals...fishes seem to get white spot easily n water perimeter seem to be unstable. now my 4ft i used nsw to cycle too. after 2 wks, i threw in a pbt n royal gramma. both r living happily till now esp the pbt, no white spot since day 1....

• SRC Member
how much do LFS like iwarna charge for DELIVERY of NSW?

any minimum volume?

If you want them to deliver, it's best to get a large amount of NSW. I believe Iwarna charges $80 for delivery of large volume of NSW.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

i am using NSW delivered from Irwana .... great service ....

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member
If you want them to deliver, it's best to get a large amount of NSW. I believe Iwarna charges $80 for delivery of large volume of NSW.

wow, thats way out of my budget!

further more its not advisable to store NSW for too long right?

guess it'll only be good for those having really large tanks..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
wow, thats way out of my budget!

further more its not advisable to store NSW for too long right?

guess it'll only be good for those having really large tanks..

Ur tank is 2x2x2? So including your sump, your water volume is 200+ litres. Maybe you can check with Victor how much he will charge to deliver 50~100L of NSW to you.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Ur tank is 2x2x2? So including your sump, your water volume is 200+ litres. Maybe you can check with Victor how much he will charge to deliver 50~100L of NSW to you.

oh.. so they do deliver lesser amount,

hmmm.. ok....

thanks for the info :)

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

I restarted my tank with NSW after moving house. I found that with NSW corals and fishes seem to do better compared to when I was using salt mix. Maybe the quality of salt mix makes a difference.

If you drive, you can bring the NSW back yourself, but as others mentioned, it can be back breaking work. I buy the NSW from Irwana at $1/bag and put them in those styrofoam boxes that Irwana uses for shipping LS. 1 box can put in 4 bags. I think each bag is around 40L.

• SRC Member
I restarted my tank with NSW after moving house. I found that with NSW corals and fishes seem to do better compared to when I was using salt mix. Maybe the quality of salt mix makes a difference.

If you drive, you can bring the NSW back yourself, but as others mentioned, it can be back breaking work. I buy the NSW from Irwana at $1/bag and put them in those styrofoam boxes that Irwana uses for shipping LS. 1 box can put in 4 bags. I think each bag is around 40L.

i think each bag is abt 15L - 20L only.....if 40L, i dun think i can even carry the bag......

• SRC Member

i think each bag is abt 15L - 20L only.....if 40L, i dun think i can even carry the bag......

Their bag sizes varies. But is around 15 liters +-...

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)