red slime type algea

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

most likely its red slime, its bacteria. sometimes they can have hair like features.

a picture could only prove further.

all irritating algaes, minus away coralline, and red slime could only be reduce with lower nutrients in water. nutrients in the sense of P and N.

the phosphate and nitrogen based.

do water change, add more rowa or smilar.

normally i will do the above + sucking it out or blasting it will a pump or turket blaster

if its really red slime bacteria, u can use antibiotic available in LFS as red slime remover. but please dun use it for u dunno what else it will kill.

all the best.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

no. RD is the distributor for zeovit. fresh&marine might have.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
tks bro law

bro neokn was over my place just now he inform it may due to flow of the water but need cure for all this before prevention

anyway will see into add another small wave maker to one of the corner

I'm having the same problem right now. But I really doubt that it is simply a case of water flow because I have a powerful wavemaker but the problem is widespread. The red slime algae covers all area of the tank, including areas with high water flow. I wouldn't recommend using antibiotics like Boyd Chemiclean or Ultralife Red Slime Remover cos they may harm the invertebrates or kill the good bacteria in your filtration system. My colleague, who is also a hobbyist, had the same problem not too long ago. He simply let the system correct itself & over time, the problem disappeared. But it took months. In the meantime, I will just manually remove the nuisance algae & cut down on the feeding. A reefing brother suggested using a zeovit product. Maybe, it is worth reading up on it before you try it.

I'm having the same problem right now. But I really doubt that it is simply a case of water flow because I have a powerful wavemaker but the problem is widespread. The red slime algae covers all area of the tank, including areas with high water flow. I wouldn't recommend using antibiotics like Boyd Chemiclean or Ultralife Red Slime Remover cos they may harm the invertebrates or kill the good bacteria in your filtration system. My colleague, who is also a hobbyist, had the same problem not too long ago. He simply let the system correct itself & over time, the problem disappeared. But it took months. In the meantime, I will just manually remove the nuisance algae & cut down on the feeding. A reefing brother suggested using a zeovit product. Maybe, it is worth reading up on it before you try it.

tks for the info as i also have this problem for my 4ft before but it just fowlr so i don't borther bout it but this time round is my another tank 3ft all zoo so afraid it over run it. now everyday have to clean it very tired lol so need a fast control but in another project going to use back algea srcubber to control it using warm white LEDs and will be seal up by glass

• SRC Member
tks for the info as i also have this problem for my 4ft before but it just fowlr so i don't borther bout it but this time round is my another tank 3ft all zoo so afraid it over run it. now everyday have to clean it very tired lol so need a fast control but in another project going to use back algea srcubber to control it using warm white LEDs and will be seal up by glass

hi.i had this problem b4 and after using the redslime remover fr aquamarin, all problem solved. easy to use. only need to remove carbon from tank. can use on reef and fowlr tank. just ask janet for this product and she will explain to you more on the usage. good luck.

• SRC Member
hi.i had this problem b4 and after using the redslime remover fr aquamarin, all problem solved. easy to use. only need to remove carbon from tank. can use on reef and fowlr tank. just ask janet for this product and she will explain to you more on the usage. good luck.

Hi Bro Mag

I have read extensively on foreign internet forums on products such as Ultralife Slime Remover, etc. All indications from experts are that chemicals are a big no-no. Reefers are on both sides of the divide. You are the first local reefer I know who is endorsing this product. A couple of questions, if you don't mind. When did you use the product? There are no adverse effects on your sps & lps corals so far? Your system is still functioning well? Does the nuisance algae simply died off or disappeared after you use the chemicals? If so, maybe I should reconsider these products.

Hi Bro Mag

I have read extensively on foreign internet forums on products such as Ultralife Slime Remover, etc. All indications from experts are that chemicals are a big no-no. Reefers are on both sides of the divide. You are the first local reefer I know who is endorsing this product. A couple of questions, if you don't mind. When did you use the product? There are no adverse effects on your sps & lps corals so far? Your system is still functioning well? Does the nuisance algae simply died off or disappeared after you use the chemicals? If so, maybe I should reconsider these products.

are u able to send a link of the read up as u stated wanna know more

• SRC Member
are u able to send a link of the read up as u stated wanna know more

Hi Steven

I am attaching a link to a forum discussion on the topic of red slime algae removers by hobbyists. Read the entire thread on the topic to get a complete diverse views on the products. The negative feedback from some hobbyists is enough to make you think twice about using products that treat the symptoms and not the cause. For other sources, simply type "red slime algae removers" in the goggle search engine & you will have more diverse opinions.

http://www.reefland.com/forum/reef-aquariu...ime-battle.html

• SRC Member
Hi Bro Mag

Hi hi. well everything in my tank survived after i dose the redslime algae,including my lobster+snails+anemone. What i did was only removed the carbon from my sump and also stop fr+skimmer running for awhile. I also reduced feeding. After about 1week++ can slowly see the result as the redslime slowly disappear.i do not have expensive or delicate corals at that time. Now my tank is only fowlr.

After that i did abo30% h20 chg. if i can remember correctly i think i dozed 2bottles since my tank is 6fts+4fts sump. Colour of h20 changed to yellow. I was quite worries initially but lucky all works well. In fact after the slime algae were gone can see coraline algae started growing but they are not link i think. I think the instruction also stated safe for corals. I decided to use this product after janet fr am recommended and told me is very effective and the most important is easy to use.

• SRC Member
Hi hi. well everything in my tank survived after i dose the redslime algae,including my lobster+snails+anemone. What i did was only removed the carbon from my sump and also stop fr+skimmer running for awhile. I also reduced feeding. After about 1week++ can slowly see the result as the redslime slowly disappear.i do not have expensive or delicate corals at that time. Now my tank is only fowlr.

After that i did abo30% h20 chg. if i can remember correctly i think i dozed 2bottles since my tank is 6fts+4fts sump. Colour of h20 changed to yellow. I was quite worries initially but lucky all works well. In fact after the slime algae were gone can see coraline algae started growing but they are not link i think. I think the instruction also stated safe for corals. I decided to use this product after janet fr am recommended and told me is very effective and the most important is easy to use.

Hi Bro Mag

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have bought Zeovit Zeozym recommended by Red Devil. It is an enyzme-based supplement which stimulates bacterial metabolism to control slime algae. It is a biological way to rid nuisance algae. I am more comfortable with biological means as I have expensive corals. Will update reefers if it works for me. Cheers.

• SRC Member

Good choice on Zeozym.

My red slime was gone within 2 dosages. (Should be 2 weeks) Remember to check your skimmer more regularly as it tends to improve the efficiency of your skimmer. Do remember to follow the instructions and mix the solution 6-8hrs in advanced.

Good choice on Zeozym.

My red slime was gone within 2 dosages. (Should be 2 weeks) Remember to check your skimmer more regularly as it tends to improve the efficiency of your skimmer. Do remember to follow the instructions and mix the solution 6-8hrs in advanced.

How much is the zeozym and where can get,bro

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

how about AlgaeFix from API?

i'm currently using that...

used to have red slime problems..

now still have abit, but situation improved alot already..

not sure if its because of my weekly dosing of algaefix,

or because of waterchange..

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Supporter

what bro greenmariner mentioned is infact the best way to let the system cure its own disease and what the system need is time.

however,our pacy society has trained us to be impatient.

right now,there are alot of cyno bac/redslime "medication" and most are quite efficient.

however, what we want now is also the process and not the end product as the process may kill our livestock.

True enough that dosing some products are as per what mentioned on the product labels. e.g reefsafe,will not kill corals/inverts.

However, did they mention about bacteria?

will the dosing of such product helps you in ur redslime prob right now and inreturn gives u an unstable system? how can we tell? only time.

we have even heard matured tanks like 2yrs old getting crashed due to old tank syndrome, we arent sure what were the reason.but adding these medication and even additives e.g overdose on iodine will crash tank. maynot be instant but 1 day it will.

its like taking a pandol daily,1 day u will get killed bcos of over dosing.

so if each time u get cyno and then cure it,long run u may get a crash system in return.

spending so much $$ and time getting livestock is no joke if u need to restock them all over again.

I have tried afew brands from ultralife to api to zeozym. i was very happy with ultralife.it was almost an instant. but after afew attempts i started to get diatoms ,funny algaes and dead livestocks.

api wasnt very succesfully to me.

so in the end i tried zeozym which was recommanded to me by a senior reefer here.

the best thing is it can be mixed with coral food, known as coral snow(from zeovit)

thats a good news where i can remove cyno/redslime and at the sametime feed corals.

zeozym is not cheap.. if you guys dont get to use so much. can share.

after curing this problem,its time to move on to prevention.

hope what we discuss here its not only about getting the end product,but to make sure the process isnt harmful to the very basic and important living thing in our system in long run - the bacteria.

fyi, do not forget to off your skimmer for at least and hr from time of dosing and make sure no left over residue is remain in the container/cup.

i once forgot to off my skimmer and it wasnt effective at all compare to other brands. i tried keeping my skimmer off for 3hrs on 2 occasions and it seems better.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
Hmm, zeozym looks interesting. Effect can be seen roughly around after 2 weeks?

Is it the same as that for carbon source dosing (volka)?

Is the zeozym good for other algae problem like dino? :thanks:

I don't think zeozym is the same as vodka dosing. Haven't tried it long term to see the effects. I stopped dosing after my red slime problem was solved. Even if it worked like vodka dosing, don't you think it's abit too expensive to dose like vodka?

bro as u said u used H2O is it the one we drink or something else