Setting up a marine Tank for the first time

if u travel often, u might need to modify the collection cup as it is very small. Please note this. If you are getting a sump, look for needlewheel skimmer like H&S and maybe newer skimz, their resale value is affordable and might be cheaper than second mce600.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if u travel often, u might need to modify the collection cup as it is very small. Please note this. If you are getting a sump, look for needlewheel skimmer like H&S and maybe newer skimz, their resale value is affordable and might be cheaper than second mce600.

sumpless.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

ya, briefing ran through, ppl advised him for sump, so if he changes his mind, he can source for other alternative, if he wants to get mce600, he has to take note of the collection cup and maybe modify and attach a waste collector.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Thanks Solo,

will watch out for that...

One question, when i have to add water to the marine tank, can i just take tap water with anti chloromine(sic)? or i need one of those filter to filter the water first?

If you can, get a RO/DI unit.

set you back for about $100 - $200

I am toping up with Distilled water. not cheap either.

Everyday need to top up approx 300ml.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

I see... if it is only 300ml a day, its okay.. i can stun a few bottles of distilled water from my office everyday! hahah

i got tonnes of those lying around... those bottled kind that they sell in 7 Eleven...

yeah. ok mine is a 1.5 ft cube. So the top up is lesser that your 3ft.

You can also look into the ATOs around. (auto top up)

might be helpful for you especially if you travel.

• SRC Member
I see... if it is only 300ml a day, its okay.. i can stun a few bottles of distilled water from my office everyday! hahah

i got tonnes of those lying around... those bottled kind that they sell in 7 Eleven...

For my 322 tank, in 1 week, I top up ard 6-7 litres of DI water.

Jacky, can test the distilled water to see if there are any nitrates & phosphates present in the water?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

er.. my place oso got water stunned..too bad are minerial and not distilled..

top up is = distilled + saltmix then pour in hor?

ytd i bought 2 brands ..no frill and polar..havent tested the water yet though...

during cycling need change water mah after 1 week?coz the book i am readng ask me to change 50% after a week from when it 1st started.. :mellow:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member

ytd i bought 2 brands ..no frill and polar..havent tested the water yet though...

during cycling need change water mah after 1 week?coz the book i am readng ask me to change 50% after a week from when it 1st started.. :mellow:

you can also try purchasing Crystal Pro DI filter to change your house tapwater to distilled water,

faster and easier than going to shops and dragging bottles of water home.. haha..

before i bought the DI filter, i was buying distilled water from NTUC.. housebrand..

i think thats the cheapest so far...

during my cycling process, i didnt change water at all for almost a month..

after ammonia and NO2 are undetectable,

i did a 50% water change (at the end of ur cycling process) and thereafter i added in my first LS..

a pair of common clowns :eyebrow:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

you can read up more here,

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82945

or many other questions under the New to the Marine Hobby section...

this forum has guided me since Day 1 of my hobby,

and it has taught me alot...

read through the posts that other reefers post and you'll find many interesting facts and information...

you can read up on everyone's experiences here which books cannot provide...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

Top up water loss due to evaporation is ONLY distilled/DI water. DUN add salt or else your salinity will increase... :rolleyes:

During cycling, do water change ONLY after your NH4 and NO2 levels are ZERO. Then do at least a 50% water change and you can add LS already.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Top up water loss due to evaporation is ONLY distilled/DI water. DUN add salt or else your salinity will increase... :rolleyes:

During cycling, do water change ONLY after your NH4 and NO2 levels are ZERO. Then do at least a 50% water change and you can add LS already.

THank u bro!this is the answer i'm looking for...

thanks kiko bro oso for the link..will read it when i get back from home after work later..!

GUm xia everyone! :thanks:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

For my 322 tank, in 1 week, I top up ard 6-7 litres of DI water.

Jacky, can test the distilled water to see if there are any nitrates & phosphates present in the water?

ok.

do it later.

damned tired. slept only 3 hrs last night

ok... serious question.

I was at Reef Depot during lunch with a friend. Checked out MCE 600.

Its quite heavy. and the hanging part doesn't give me much comfort.

Peter, do you have any problem with the hanging part? coz its only secured by that clamp thing on the outlet tube.

I also realised i need to sacrifice 10 cm depth to have that thing sit in comfortably... a lot of space to waste... makes me rethink about having a sump tank instead.

• SRC Member
ok... serious question.

Peter, do you have any problem with the hanging part? coz its only secured by that clamp thing on the outlet tube.

I also realised i need to sacrifice 10 cm depth to have that thing sit in comfortably... a lot of space to waste... makes me rethink about having a sump tank instead.

No problem. You are talking about the 10cm depth of the MCE600? Ya, no choice lah.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
ok... serious question.

will vote for sump.. lots of benefits...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

how helpful would it be if I install a small sump, say 50 cm by 30 cm by 30 cm?

I mean, if it is not going to improve things tremendously i don't really want that trouble. Not to mention the cost will increase with the inclusion of the sump tank.

The issue i have with Sump tanks is that the moisture in the cabinet, the mould, the rust. Hence i prefer to do without.

• SRC Member
how helpful would it be if I install a small sump, say 50 cm by 30 cm by 30 cm?

I mean, if it is not going to improve things tremendously i don't really want that trouble. Not to mention the cost will increase with the inclusion of the sump tank.

The issue i have with Sump tanks is that the moisture in the cabinet, the mould, the rust. Hence i prefer to do without.

50 cm is almost 2 ft and i believe it would be sufficient to place basic equipments like skimmer and return pump...

good point of the moisture though...

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Er ok don't add with salt arbo will increase salinity. But will it decrease salinity then?o.0"

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

The two most important things I would suggest you seriously consider in your tank plans are

incorporating a sump into the system and getting a chiller.

The sump would greatly simplify maintenance, and give you a wider selection of equipment and media you can use in the system, as well as increase the overall water volume to maintain stability.

Concerns about moisture or evaporation buildup can be taken care of with some strategic ventilation holes, or you can cover the sump with a piece a glass to seal it in.

A chiller will make it a lot easier to avoid problems and give you a wider variety of livestock to choose from. You should be able to get a decent 2nd hand chiller for around $200.00, and this

should not add more than $15 - $20 to your monthly electrical bill.

Evaporation from fan cooling will cost you almost as much per month in topups if you're using distilled water, and you will never be able to achieve temperatures as low or as stable as with a chiller.

It will also give you a lot less headaches in the long run, and keep livestock happier and healthier.

Compared to the amount of money you will be spending on your equipment and livestock, a chiller is a bargain trust me.

Most of the bros here will be able to attest to this, not uncommon for them to own a piece of coral or a fish that costs as much if not more than a 2nd hand chiller in their tank.

The two most important things I would suggest you seriously consider in your tank plans are

incorporating a sump into the system and getting a chiller.

The sump would greatly simplify maintenance, and give you a wider selection of equipment and media you can use in the system, as well as increase the overall water volume to maintain stability.

Concerns about moisture or evaporation buildup can be taken care of with some strategic ventilation holes, or you can cover the sump with a piece a glass to seal it in.

A chiller will make it a lot easier to avoid problems and give you a wider variety of livestock to choose from. You should be able to get a decent 2nd hand chiller for around $200.00, and this

should not add more than $15 - $20 to your monthly electrical bill.

Evaporation from fan cooling will cost you almost as much per month in topups if you're using distilled water, and you will never be able to achieve temperatures as low or as stable as with a chiller.

It will also give you a lot less headaches in the long run, and keep livestock happier and healthier.

Compared to the amount of money you will be spending on your equipment and livestock, a chiller is a bargain trust me.

Most of the bros here will be able to attest to this, not uncommon for them to own a piece of coral or a fish that costs as much if not more than a 2nd hand chiller in their tank.

+1