Fairy wrasses

yikai

:rolleyes: Not a difficult wrassey I must say but mine alpha-stud at 4 inches showpiece size was super shy. Always hovered inside crevice and waiting for pellets to drift by. I think it perished either due to intestinal worms or not enuff food to sustain its health recovery considering that it has travelled a rather long & stressful distance across the Pacific Ocean. <_<

:whistle In fact, I bought a pair & the poor ole' stressful female didn't even pull through the 1st nite. Sigh !...painful memorie$...mi$$ed the pinky beauty. :(

Guess it's most likely shipping stress. Cirrhilabrus does not seem to handle shipping well. Female rhomboid from Hawaii died after 1 day. Got hooded wrasse (my personal favourite) twice from vanuatu shipment and both died the next day for no reason. Waiting to try a third time but vanuatu shipment does not seem to come anymore.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Cirrhilabrus Adornatus.

Sometimes known as debelius fairy wrasse. These fishes grow to about 2 inches or slightly more, and are obtainable from Indonesia shipments.

cute, looks like a small jap koi

25 Gal Micro Ocean

Cirrhilabrus Naokoae, sumatra (newly described)

Since it's so new not much info on the net either. Only CF has brought in this fish, expensive at $200. Will easily lose it's vibrant red and yellow colour from Law's experience if i'm not wrong. Getting a pair will be tough as juvi and females are not as commonly available and rather hard to identify. Pple with this fish should share more since it's so new and not much info on the net.. Pics shown are male, female, and a pair.

post-10328-1262837296_thumb.jpg

post-10328-1262837564_thumb.jpg

post-10328-1262837581_thumb.jpg

Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus (Red-margin wrasse)

medium-larged size. slight aggressive.

wide range: fiji, vanuatu, indonesia.

rather expensive from vanuatu ($150) and cheap from indo.

Pic shown alpha male, and flashing.

post-10328-1263102681.jpg

post-10328-1263102689_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

:eyeblur: Live on C.N.N. :eyebrow:

Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus (Red-margin wrasse)

medium-larged size. slight aggressive.

wide range: fiji, vanuatu, indonesia.

rather expensive from vanuatu ($150) and cheap from indo.

Pic shown alpha male, and flashing.

post-2609-1263104870_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

:rolleyes: Another pic of my 'lost' LUV ! :(

:rolleyes: Not a difficult wrassey I must say but mine alpha-stud at 4 inches showpiece size was super shy. Always hovered inside crevice and waiting for pellets to drift by. I think it perished either due to intestinal worms or not enuff food to sustain its health recovery considering that it has travelled a rather long & stressful distance across the Pacific Ocean. <_<

:whistle In fact, I bought a pair & the poor ole' stressful female didn't even pull through the 1st nite. Sigh !...painful memorie$...mi$$ed the pinky beauty. :(

post-2609-1263108648_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

thanks bro digiman and kueytoc for continuing this thread!.

Cirrhilabrus Lanceolatus. Very similar and the sister of C. Roseafascia. never seen it before and i think its very rare. size and requiremens should be similar to C. Roseafascia.

post-15755-1263112578_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus Scottorum. The Scott's Fairy wrasse. Common in australia, vanuatu shipments. Very colourful fish but notoriously difficult to retain the colours. Easy to keep as far as i know. Pic shows the difference between Australian ones VS the standard scott fairy variant.

2nd photo shows the australian variant.

post-15755-1263112766_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1263112781.jpg

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrus Rhomboidalis. Rhomboid Fairy wrasse otherwise known as Diamond Tail Fairy wrasse. THE hole grail of wrasses to many, and certainly to me. Found only in the marshall islands, these fishes make their way here rarely, via hawaii shipments. to about 5 inches or more. Nuptial males display a purple band across their body when flashing.

First picture is of mine, taken with flash hence the weird colour. last 2 pictures by bro kueytoc.

post-15755-1263113024_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1263113053_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1263113058_thumb.jpg

Cirrhilabrus Pylei (Blue margin wrasse / Vanuatu Pylei wrasse)

Commonly imported from Vanuatu (Iwarna).

Middle-sized and peaceful.

Rather expensive, $150.

Pic below show female, male, male flashing.

Does anyone have seldom seen cebu pylei fairies?

Just to add, scottorum are one of the biggest for its genus and definately one of the most aggressive

Does anyone have seldom seen cebu pylei fairies?

Just to add, scottorum are one of the biggest for its genus and definately one of the most aggressive

You mean the one with the black edged tail and black patch on the dorsal? Ah beng have a few males from time to time but no females...... Bought twice from them... But all never make it... One is dropsy and the other unknown..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

You mean the one with the black edged tail and black patch on the dorsal? Ah beng have a few males from time to time but no females...... Bought twice from them... But all never make it... One is dropsy and the other unknown..

I nv see them at Ah Beng but I know Iwarna supplier has them. Pic below shows the fish itself but do no justice to it

Cirrhilabrus_pylei__male__9cm_from_Cebu_

Photo courtesy of wetwebmedia.com

I nv see them at Ah Beng but I know Iwarna supplier has them. Pic below shows the fish itself but do no justice to it

Cirrhilabrus_pylei__male__9cm_from_Cebu_

Photo courtesy of wetwebmedia.com

I am quite sure it is the Cebu Varient... Next time if I see, i let you know...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Cirrhilabrs Katoi. Another exceptional beauty. grows to around 7.5cm. Found in japan. According to fish base, this fish is often forms aggregations with Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura, C. lunatus, C. rubrimarginatus and C. temminckii, over rocky substrate

post-15755-1263212184_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

1 more picture of C. exquisitus. A more colourful variant, possibly from vanuatu. Hope to own one of these yellow dorsal specimens one day. Without a doubt one of my favourite fairies.

post-15755-1263212544_thumb.jpg